Just to clarify.......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1. trolling
Being a jerk on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.
Guy: "I just found the coolest ninja pencil in existence." 
Other Guy: "I just found the most retarded thread in existence."
Source: Urban Dictionary

ETA Source

Trolls-3.gif

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh. I read your post a few minutes ago, and I'm now in the middle of reading a forum page that someone sent me a URL to, in which a forum troll (this forum) is defending his posts by claiming that he is not responsible "for the inability of others to manage their own emotions." This particular troll pushes and pushes at targets, knowing that the result is sometimes tears and worse, but he keeps on doing it - and claiming that it's not his fault if people are badly affected. It sounds like it fits very well with the descriptions of a troll that you posted.

Any innocent and intelligent person, who realised the effect that their posts keep having on people, would change the way they post. But trolls just keep on because they want to cause those effects.

The idea that "Trolls will only stay when they are fed or given attention" is true BUT...

If a person continually posts but never ever gets a reply of any kind - as though the person is invisible - s/he'll leave. That's true. But it never happens that way. A response such as, "There was no call for that" or "Don't feed the troll" is attention. The troll has got some attention and will stay - coming back with things like, "I'm not a troll. What I wrote is true", and so it will continue and the troll is in his/her element. The trouble is, many of us do just that, and the troll is happy. This forum's troll has a couple of loyal friends/supporters, which, incidentally, speaks very badly of them, but they don't matter because the troll gets fed by the objections, and is happy.

I don't see any realistic way for users to get rid of a troll on their own, because one or more people will always respond by telling the troll off or by advising not to feed it. The only way I can think of is to report any and all trolling posts (those that contain the insults and barbs), and leave it to the moderators to deal with. Each little insult or barb is only a pinprick on its own, but multiple pinpricks add up to real pain, and they add up to showing the moderators exactly what an individual is continually doing. So, if a continual troll keeps getting reported by various users, even when they are not personally involved, the moderators will surely do something about it. Merely wishing that a continual troll would go away, doesn't work.

Phil Deakins wrote:

The idea that "
Trolls will only stay when they are fed or given attention
" is true BUT...

If a person continually posts but never ever gets a reply of any kind - as though the person is invisible - s/he'll leave. That's true. But it never happens that way. A response such as, "
There was no call for that
" or "
Don't feed the troll
" is attention. The troll has got some attention and will stay - coming back with things like, "
I'm not a troll. What I wrote is true
", and so it will continue and the troll is in his/her element. The trouble is, many of us do just that, and the troll is happy. This forum's troll has a couple of loyal friends/supporters, which, incidentally, speaks
very
badly of them, but they don't matter because the troll gets fed by the objections, and is happy.

I don't see any realistic way for users to get rid of a troll on their own. The only way I can think of is to report any and all trolling posts (those that contain the insults and barbs), and leave it to the moderators to deal with. Each little insult or barb is only a pinprick on its own, but multiple pinpricks add up to real pain, and they add up to showing the moderators exactly what an individual is continually doing. So, if a continual troll keeps getting reported by various users, even when they are not personally involved, the moderators will surely do something about it. Merely wishing that a continual troll would go away, doesn't work.

i agree with you wholeheartedly, Phil! :matte-motes-big-grin:

Here come the judge, here come the judge, everybody know that here come the judge.

On the charge of trolling, The Judge finds the Defendant NOT GUILTY.

Obiter Dicta: There is no mention in the Terms of Service nor the Community Guidelines of Trolling, and it is a principle of every legal system that you can't be convicted of crimes that don't exist, just because a self-humiliating bunch of vigilantes are upset by something. That's what petitions are for.

On the charge of Flaming, the OP and their supporters are found GUILTY.

Obiter Dicta: Flaming is defined in the Community Guidelines as "hostile or disruptive posts, or messages intended to incite an angry response." There is no mention of any exceptions for inciting angry responses by any classes of Community participants, and those who might be branded Trolls by the hypersensitive convenors of a kangaroo court fall into this category. The OP and supporting posts definitely fall into LL's definition of "Flames" and accordingly should be subject to disciplinary action.

On the charge of Abuse of Moderation or Moderators, the OP's principal supporter is found GUILTY

Obiter Dicta:  "Frivolous or malicious use of the abuse report feature" is considered abuse by the Community Guidelines, which also state that there will be no toleration for "any post that encourages others to violate any policy of Linden Lab". The malice aforethought expressed by a campaign to gang-report an individual's posts ahead of their occurrence represents abuse of moderation.

The Judge

Nice one.  "Trolling" may be taken as a term-of-art though, so no win there.

I particularly like the defence of the outrageous to be outraged themselves.  On your third point though there is no hint of a campaign or mention of any individual or gang-reporting.

Anyway, aren't your obiter dicta meant to be ratio decidendi?

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Nice one.  "Trolling" may be taken as a term-of-art though, so no win there.

I particularly like the defence of the outrageous to be outraged themselves.  On your third point though there is no hint of a campaign or mention of any individual or gang-reporting.

Anyway, aren't your obiter dicta meant to be ratio decidendi?

On the charge of assuming that LL doesn't mean exactly what it says: GUILTY

On the charge of assuming that those who have to interpret what it says are literate: GUILTY

On the charge of the existence of a vindictive reporting campaign, a threat repeated in at least one other thread: GUILTY

On the charge of using ratio decidendi as obiter dicta: NOT GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: Is whatever The Judge feels like saying; he don't have to justify anything

jujmental wrote:

"On the charge of": 
assuming that LL doesn't mean exactly what it says,  
assuming that those who have to interpret what it says are literate, 
the existence of a vindictive reporting campaign ..., 
using ratio decidendi as obiter dicta

Ah now, see, I refute that any of these are valid charges as there are no such offences.  In precedence I quote your earlier obiter dictum "There is no mention in the Terms of Service nor the Community Guidelines of ..."

Please can we have a new ruling or, failing that, a new judge?

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

Phil, I'm willing to bet I know exactly whom said troll is

And I am willing to bet you are right
:)

HA! Knew it!

I find her to be a boring troll as well.  Absolutely boring, so I scroll past her words most times.  I like to feed her every-once-in-a-while, as it's fun.

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

jujmental wrote:

"On the charge of": 
assuming that LL doesn't mean exactly what it says,  
assuming that those who have to interpret what it says are literate, 
the existence of a vindictive reporting campaign ..., 
using ratio decidendi as obiter dicta

Ah now, see, I refute that any of these are valid charges as there are no such offences.  In precedence I quote your earlier obiter dictum "
There is no mention in the Terms of Service nor the Community Guidelines of ..."

Please can we have a new ruling or, failing that, a new judge?

On the charge of confusing charges brought by plaintiffs with charges of contemptuousness - not contempt - raised by the Judge Mental himself: GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: I am the Truth, the whole Truth and nothing but the Truth.

On the charge of contempt of court by requesting replacement of The Judge: NOT GUILTY

Obiter Dicta: You said "please", which is polite. Request Denied

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

trolling
Being a jerk on the 
 because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.
Guy: "I just found the coolest ninja pencil in existence." 

Other Guy: "I just found the most retarded thread in existence."
Source: Urban Dictionary

ETA Source

Trolls-3.gif

I love this. Really, I do. These images and texts,  they are so old school and remind me of my grandmother forwarding these kind of 'warnings' via email to the whole family when the poor, kind  soul tried the internet on my cousin's laptop. Bless her.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

The question, however, is this; who are you to determine who a troll is, and what a troll post is?

We neglect Voltaire at our peril.

In forums like this (or 'fora' if you insist) the term Troll is used to define those participants who disagree with the OP or any other participant in a thread and to dismiss anyone who dares to speak for themselves. Just because it is easier to call someone a troll, rather than writing a coherent reply or statement.

The True Troll has yet to arrive in this place, but I doubt he or she will be recognized as such.

Ohhnoes wrote:

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

The question, however, is this; who are you to determine who a troll is, and what a troll post is?

We neglect Voltaire at our peril.

In forums like this (or 'fora' if you insist) the term Troll is used to define those participants who disagree with the OP or any other participant in a thread and to dismiss anyone who dares to speak for themselves. Just because it is easier to call someone a troll, rather than writing a coherent reply or statement.

The True Troll has yet to arrive in this place, but I doubt he or she will be recognized as such.

In this forum people that call another a troll are usually doing the same thing they claim the said troll is. If you don't agree, or you speak up for yourself, people have a tendency to try and turn your words around. If you answer one of their questions all of a sudden you are trying to prove something, even though they asked you. If you ignore their replies then you are accused of something else lol. Then you have the people that are saying things to you in PM's that are afraid to post what they feel on the thread because of how they may "look" to the other forumites.

Your insight is refreshing.

Malanya wrote:

In this forum people that call another a troll are usually doing the same thing they claim the said troll is. If you don't agree, or you speak up for yourself, people have a tendency to try and turn your words around. If you answer one of their questions all of a sudden you are trying to prove something, even though they asked you. If you ignore their replies then you are accused of something else lol. Then you have the people that are saying things to you in PM's that are afraid to post what they feel on the thread because of how they may "look" to the other forumites.

Your insight is refreshing.

There is a lot of truth in what you say, Malanya. People accuse others of trolling when they are not, and it happens quite often here. However, this forum does have one actual troll, who has been trolling here for many years, and everyone knows who it is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.