New ToS: theories can't be right

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LL is motivated ONLY by money, everything they do is through the prism of money.

I remember long ago and i am sure it was Phil D. had a post called "LL s dirty little secret" ( i apologize Phil if it was' nt you)

He fortold of LL taking over x street and it becoming MP and getting everyone to list on there, thereby taxing every sale, and taking shoppers from inworld to MP.

I could forsee that too, and all this is at the expense of inworld shopping, LL can t get a cut from inworld sales and they care nothing about inworld merchants.

That being said, i am thinking of closing my inworld shop, even on page 2 of search i get maybe 4 or 5 visitors a day because now everyone goes to MP to shop and the pool of inworld shoppers has been drastically reduced.

Now ,that being said, and  this might be a far out theory but it struck me the other day, LL does nothing without a reason, that reason might not become clear for some time, maybe a year or two, but eventually they play their hand.

What better place to have all content creators put all their content in one place, (MP) then come out with a TOS Making everyone agree or never have access to their content ever again on SL.

It would be probably impossible for LL to grab content if there was no MP. it would be painstakingly tedious to sort through everyones inventory.

So now everyone puts their content for sale on MP ( all tied up in one place with a neat little bow for them) and it's a perfect place for LL to do whatever it is they have ( we think) planned to do with it.

Maybe it's a far out theory, maybe not who knows, time will tell what their motives are.

The longer they stay quite the more people will try guess their motives.

Just a thought,

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a very good (and long ) response to a thread I started yesterday over in the MESH forum. Now MY part of the thread turned out to be just naiviety, but the comments within the thread are very important.

Chosen has been around for-e-ver, is completely helpful and has made mesh for a living for a very long time and seems to understand the industry very well.

Here are some possible insights. There are of course no answers.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Please-Tell-Me-I-Am-Wrong-TOS-Woes/m-p/2237617#M23637

Now ,that being said, and  this might be a far out theory but it struck me the other day, LL does nothing without a reason, that reason might not become clear for some time, maybe a year or two, but eventually they play their hand.

What better place to have all content creators put all their content in one place, (MP) then come out with a TOS Making everyone agree or never have access to their content ever again on SL.

It would be probably impossible for LL to grab content if there was no MP. it would be painstakingly tedious to sort through everyone's inventory.

So now everyone puts their content for sale on MP ( all tied up in one place with a neat little bow for them) and it's a perfect place for LL to do whatever it is they have ( we think) planned to do with it.

Maybe it's a far out theory, maybe not who knows, time will tell what their motives are.

The longer they stay quite the more people will try guess their motives.

Just a thought,

I don't think it is far out at all. I have said that in different words -- even as recently as yesterday (another thread). It is VERY easy to sort through the MP. First filter out MESH which I am pretty sure is the prize they are after IF indeed they are after something (as you say we may not know for awhile).  Then look at the top selling products in mesh and perhaps the land impact.

There are the products they most likely want (IMHO).

I have no plans to close my store. It is doing amazingly well (surprising but true). But unless something changes I won't be building here any longer (be sure and get counted on the New World Notes survey by the way). Happily the last things that I made I used materials and I made two versions, so they have staying power.  So I will still have walkin' around money.

Happily there are other grids to build on.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

I am curious as to why LL haven't quickly announced a retraction or an intent to retract the updated terms, and yet HAVE published an intent not to 'be evil'. 

Maybe they're just having too much fun laughing at the conspiracy theories, and everytime someone says let's change that ToS and shut them up, someone else says 'wait, wait read this one, it's just too funny' and then they're all cracking up again so much that they can't get moving to change that nasty ToS.

Just my theory :smileyhappy:

Well to be perfectly honest, LL has been failing for quite a while now.  Online user counts are down, sales of products are down, new users are down, land sales are down, abandoned land is up, assistance from LL to its users has fallen close to nothing. 

Why is it that LL now places ads on the SL site?  For THEM to make money.  Why would a "game company" (I don't consider SL a game though but many would) promote ads that take users OUT of SL to play other games??  The money being generated from those ads isn't going to help bring in new users, or going to help the users already here in any way.  It's going to the pockets of the people that run LL.  I don't see any promotion by LL anywhere on the internet and honestly don't think I have aver seen any ad promoting SL. This is a very sad state of affairs that you guys at LL have brought upon SL. 

Being a paying member and an active participant in the economy of SL for many years now...I don't want to see these ads on the site when I come to my profile to check stats.  Thats NOT what paying members are paying for.  We are paying you to make this place better.  To advertise for us...to advertise for THIS WORLD, not the new hot xbox or PS3 game.  In fact I haven't played either of those since I found this amazing world.

We all know how the "support ticket" system has basicly become a joke here.  It is VERY rare to call LL and get an operator that is willing to assist.  They always just push it off to the next person and say..."file a support ticket".  I filed a simple land support ticket once about a small parcel that was abandoned and it took 3 months to get help.....3 months!!!  It took another 3 months and literally hundreds of "support" tickets to get help with a problem av and constant daily harrassment.   I am however EXTREMELY thankful to operators that actually take the time to actually assist.  It's very rare..but it happens from time to time. 

I am putting a plea out to the "heads in charge" at LL.  PLEASE listen to the users...we love this place.  I LOVE SL.  But it has gotten quite disheartening over the last couple years.  There have been many bad decisions made by the LL team in how this world has been handled and managed.

BatRastard Panthar wrote:

Well to be perfectly honest, LL has been failing for quite a while now.  Online user counts are down, sales of products are down, new users are down, land sales are down, abandoned land is up, assistance from LL to its users has fallen close to nothing. 

Numbers  or data links please.  Since you say you have been around a while you should know better than to throw random accusations around without backing them up. 3,471 new items on the MP since yesterday morning btw.

Why is it that LL now places ads on the SL site?  For THEM to make money.  Why would a "game company" (
I don't consider SL a game though but many would
) promote ads that take users OUT of SL to play other games??  The money being generated from those ads isn't going to help bring in new users, or going to help the users already here in any way.  It's going to the pockets of the people that run LL.  I don't see any promotion by LL anywhere on the internet and honestly don't think I have aver seen any ad promoting SL. This is a very sad state of affairs that you guys at LL have brought upon SL. 

I see ads for SL everywhere. Google ads are tailored by what you do and search for on the web. I have no problem with them having ads. Do you not watch Television (odd, it wouldn't alow T V with out the spaces.)  because of the ads? I have see ads for shows on competeing channels. 

Being a paying member and an active participant in the economy of SL for many years now...I don't want to see these ads on the site when I come to my profile to check stats.  Thats NOT what paying members are paying for.  We are paying you to make this place better.  To advertise for us...to advertise for THIS WORLD, not the new hot xbox or PS3 game.  In fact I haven't played either of those since I found this amazing world.

Use ad blocker. ETA... Do you really want to see ads for SL on SL sites? that doesn't make much sense. If you are on a SL site you obvously are using SL. You don't shop on the MP unless you have an av.

We all know how the "support ticket" system has basicly become a joke here.  It is VERY rare to call LL and get an operator that is willing to assist.  They always just push it off to the next person and say..."file a support ticket".  I filed a simple land support ticket once about a small parcel that was abandoned and it took 3 months to get help.....3 months!!!  It took another 3 months and literally hundreds of "support" tickets to get help with a problem av and constant daily harrassment.   I am however EXTREMELY thankful to operators that actually take the time to actually assist.  It's very rare..but it happens from time to time. 

Support tickets have always been a joke, where have you been? You should have filed an AR instead.

I am putting a plea out to the "heads in charge" at LL.  PLEASE listen to the users...we love this place.  I LOVE SL.  But it has gotten quite disheartening over the last couple years.  There have been many bad decisions made by the LL team in how this world has been handled and managed.

Please site the "many bad decisions." I can only site one. The new ToS.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Numbers  or data links please.  Since you say you have been around a while you should know better than to throw random accusations around without backing them up. 3,471 new items on the MP since yesterday morning btw.

Why is it that LL now places ads on the SL site?  For THEM to make money.  Why would a "game company" (
) promote ads that take users OUT of SL to play other games??  The money being generated from those ads isn't going to help bring in new users, or going to help the users already here in any way.  It's going to the pockets of the people that run LL.  I don't see any promotion by LL anywhere on the internet and honestly don't think I have aver seen any ad promoting SL. This is a very sad state of affairs that you guys at LL have brought upon SL. 

I see ads for SL everywhere. Google ads are tailored by what you do and search for on the web. I have no problem with them having ads. Do you not watch Television (odd, it wouldn't alow T V with out the spaces.)  because of the ads? I have see ads for shows on competeing channels. 

Use ad blocker.

Support tickets have always been a joke, where have you been? You should have filed an AR instead.

Drake1: The reason you were called a Troll is because you are being deliberately belligerent to others posting opinions that run counter to your position. You are perfectly capable of looking up the info cited by Bat, and you know full well that SL has been in decline in all the visible and important indicators for some time. So rather than just poke at others for the sake of poking, how about you post a productive counter-piece with meat instead of just adding another sharp stick and demanding others backup their opinions with hard facts. Please?

Rya Nitely wrote:

Maybe they're just having too much fun laughing at the conspiracy theories, and everytime someone says let's change that ToS and shut them up, someone else says 'wait, wait read this one, it's just too funny' and then they're all cracking up again so much that they can't get moving to change that nasty ToS.

Just my theory :smileyhappy:

LOL! Now that you mention it, I can totally picture it too. :manlol:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Use ad blocker.

Drake1: The reason you were called a Troll is because you are being deliberately belligerent to others posting opinions that run counter to your position. You are perfectly capable of looking up the info cited by Bat, and you know full well that SL has been in decline in all the visible and important indicators for some time. So rather than just poke at others for the sake of poking, how about you post a productive counter-piece with meat instead of just adding another sharp stick and demanding others backup their opinions with hard facts. Please?

I might know where those numbers are, but will new residents? or potential ones? This is why i said to post them. When one tries to make a point about something failing they usually back it up with numbers and facts, not relying on others to do so. People are making hard and fast claims about the new ToS and posting quotes  and other links to back up their claim. Why should this be any different.

I did add some "meat" to my reply.

UPDATE:

As a result of some discussion the General Discussion forum, I have now added a little to my thoughts in the first post.

I still believe that what I wrote in the first post is valid but now I believe it's only valid up to the point when the new ToS was published. Anything uploaded to SL after that must, of course, have been uploaded by people who accepted the new ToS, and so LL can use that stuff as though they have full rights over it, without any need for them to differentiate between that which is only licensed and never came with full rights, and that which came with full rights.

It states very clearly in the new ToS (section 1.3 I think) that we can only upload stuff over which we have all the rights that are listed in the new ToS. So, if someone still buys a limited license for, say, a texture, then they effectively lie to LL by uploading it. That's regardless of whether or not the texture seller says it can be used in SL. The lie is that they do have all the rights over it that are listed in the new ToS. But LL has no way of knowing one way or the other, so they have to take the user's word for it. In that case, although LL could be made to remove all instances of the texture, and perhaps pay something to the rightful owner commensurate with what money LL made from it, they wouldn't be liable for damages, imo.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I do hope you are aware of the hazards of eating raw or undercooked meat.

That number does not give us the real metrics we need to judge growth:  Sales Volume and Sales Dollars.

All that number tells us is that either one dummy added 3,471 items or 3,471 dummies added one item or something inbetween those numbers.

Also we do not know if that is actually NEW content or OLD content people had sitting in their inventory that they finally uploaded to the Market.

I would also maintain that in order for us to know the real number of items added to the Marketplace we would need to subtract demos as well as other poorly made mass produced junk that some (pretend) Merchants are making from all the ready made, slap a texture on the template and take the money and run people who are trying to milk a cash cow whose udders could potentially be drying up.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

That number does not give us the real metrics we need to judge growth:  Sales Volume and Sales Dollars.

All that number tells us is that either one dummy added 3,471 items or 3,471 dummies added one item or something inbetween those numbers.

Also we do not know if that is actually NEW content or OLD content people had sitting in their inventory that they finally uploaded to the Market.

I would also maintain that in order for us to know the real number of items added to the Marketplace we would need to subtract demos as well as other poorly made mass produced junk that some (pretend) Merchants are making from all the ready made, slap a texture on the template and take the money and run people who are trying to milk a cash cow whose udders could potentially be drying up.

Thank you for calling me a dummy.

This is what I am talking about, anyone who has a different idea is called names and insulted. I would like to add, if you have no idea how hard it is to make textures so they fit properly don't insult those that do.

Should I even attemp this? Probably not, but I will anyways.

In the end, I really don't care what LL's TOS says, beside not violating them myself. Why is that? Because I'm already invested with thousands of items and make thousands off SL. If I get screwed by LL, then I'm out of here. Enough said. It doesn't f...ing matter what the TOS says. If they sell my content without my permission, they will have a lawsuit on their hands, irregardless of what the TOS says. The only people the TOS means anything to, are LL and the naive people that think LL has some kind of power.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Thank you for calling me a dummy.

This is what I am talking about, anyone who has a different idea is called names and insulted. I would like to add, if you have no idea how hard it is to make textures so they fit properly don't insult those that do.

No where in my post did I call you a dummy.

No where did I say that YOUR textures didn't fit properly.

No where did I say it is not hard to make and fit them properly.

So please do not put words into my mouth.

All I did was illustrate how relatively meaningless the data you are leaning on is to this discussion.

Perrie Juran wrote:

[...]

[...]

Perrie,

Logic this one through. If Drake1 is upset because you called him a "Dummy", but you actually said that "one dummy added 3,471 items ..." then the logical solution is that Drake1 is the person that added those 3,471 items. Right?

/me braces for impact from more post-coital giggling ...

Thanks Darrius for saying something.  I usually just ignore posts/comments like his.  They are just seeking to be the center of attention.  I was just amazed he did not try using the old spelling mistakes complaint.  That's what they usually break it down to when they have nothing else to say!  :)  He can comment all he wants back cuz I am sure he will, but I have better things to do.

"3,471 new items posted"......key word POSTED.  This has nothing to do with SALES.  Guess he should maybe look those 2 words up in a dictionary. 

Ads on competing channels?  They are mostly sister companies to the business that owns each station.  Once again, improper information.

AR's and support tickets are basicaly the same thing....in the fact that NEITHER of them gets a SL user any help the majority of the time.  In fact I was told...directly by a linden/scout (whatever they were) that LL does NOT interfere with av to av relations.  Straight from the horses mouth.

I would love for attention seeker there to show me numbers to prove his "do no wrong" SL isn't in a decline.  Let's see some numbers of new users logging in...new memberships, land sales/prices compared to just a few years ago.  You know stuff that actually matters!  I guess he must be making a mint on SL because everythings perfect here in his world!

Trying to skew information to look like you are always right doesn't make you right.  Usually just makes one foolish. 

Have a great day!

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

[...]

[...]

Perrie,

Logic this one through. If Drake1 is upset because you called him a "Dummy", but you actually said that "one dummy added 3,471 items ..." then the logical solution is that Drake1 is the person that added those 3,471 items. Right?

/me braces for impact from more post-coital giggling ...

OK, I can see where he could have inferred that if he was one of those 3,471 individuals to have uploaded one item that I was calling him a dummy.

However, my statement was meant in a general sense, not a specific one, again as I stated, being used to illustrate a point, a point which he has not offered any rebuttal too.

Well, information is just that, not any more than that. How the information is interpretted, is a whole other matter entirely. Many of us have our own information, which others don't have access to.

My accessment on the SL economy is that it is mostly holding steady, with dips and highs from time to time based on what LL does. The economy is slightly more volatile than it was before the major search engine changes, which makes sense if people can't find things. There has never been a single event, beyond the search engine changes in 2010, that has ever affected the economy more, at least since I joined in 2007.

• Do I think this TOS stuff is affecting the economy? NO, the affect is tiny, if any.
  • Do I think this TOS is affecting creators? Yeah, to the extent that they waste their precious time speculating on things they can't know, instead of making something.
  • Have I stopped uploading things? NO, but I do work on projects across many platforms and currently not working on anything specific to SL. I will be making more and uploading more for SL in the near future, and until I see concrete evidense that LL has bad intentions, It won't bother me at all to upload anything I make.
  • Do I think others aren't uploading content because of the new TOS? Maybe some tiny select group, but they might make up 20% of all creators, at best, and probably not many of the people that make a living off their products.
  • Do I think LL should address the histeria or change the TOS? Sure, if the affect is people not wasting their time talking about it so much.

nikita Jefferson wrote:

LL is motivated ONLY by money, everything they do is through the prism of money.

I remember long ago and i am sure it was Phil D. had a post called "LL s dirty little secret" ( i apologize Phil if it was' nt you)

He fortold of LL taking over x street and it becoming MP and getting everyone to list on there, thereby taxing every sale, and taking shoppers from inworld to MP.

I could forsee that too, and all this is at the expense of inworld shopping, LL can t get a cut from inworld sales and they care nothing about inworld merchants.

First, it is a benefit to all of us that LL's biggest concern be profit. Just like I make items, improve items, and think up new items for the sake of profit. Without profit, I can't make more items. Because I seek profit, I must satify my customers, or they won't willing give me their money. When profit is your primary goal, the customer is the boss. The better I satify them, the more profit I will make. Profit shows that you are doing something beneficial for the world, and people want it because it betters their life in some way. When people don't have profit as their main motive, it is much more likely that their motives are not beneficial to you.

2nd, this conspiracy to tax all content isn't well thought out. 5% is hardly something significant to even sustain a service like the MP, especially considering the inefficiencies of corporations. Almost all sites that sell 3D content on the web, charge 50%, not 5%. I think the theory really falls apart when you can still sell items inworld. Now, could LL have done things better? Of course! Was LL somewhat retarded in how they did do things? Yes! Very much so. Personally, I would have made it so that any1 that actually owned land could sell items on the MP for free, and any1 that did not would be charged a 10% commission fee. In this way, it promotes inworld ownership, and charges those that don't have an investment inworld.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

First, it is a benefit to all of us that LL's biggest concern be profit. [...]

This is where I will disagree with you Medhue. Were this a rational chain of events, a company that is focused on Profit would be a good thing indeed. But Linden Lab's actions are not rational nor are they promoting Profit.

The language in the new ToS is specifically geared toward excluding the Content Creators from participating in the income stream. This has the obvlous effect of causing those Content Creators to curtail their participation with Linden Lab. That is clearly detrimental to LL's Profit. There is no other way to see it.

This is not the first time they have acted in a manner designed to damage and/or exclude Content Creators. Almost without exception, those past efforts have had a very obvious, predictable and wholly expected result of also decreasing their own income .. thus decreasing their own Profit.

So no Medhue, Linden Lab is neither focused on Profit nor are they acting in a manner beneficial to their customers. They are acting in a greedy, secretive and ultimately destructive manner solely for their own egotistical and emotional reaons.

And that's VERY bad business.

Aww Drakey-poos, welcome to the merchants forum. Don't mind the big boys here, they can push hard, but nowhere in your posts did you mention helping new residents with the figures, so don't hide behind that when you are called a troll.

I dont care about intent, and like Medhue says, I make money here and they can pull the plug on this any time they like, so why not continue doing what we have been doing?

One point I think a lot of people are missing, when it comes to how useless SL content will be in other games etc, is ... it's not just about the prims, it's about designs. LL has the right to it ALL, not just prims, scripts, textures, but if any of those elements do not work well in aother grid/game? Copy the idea, the design. Sometimes that is more valuable that the actual setup already present. Could be with a piece of clothing, shoes, hair, vehicle, avatar, whatever. If the prim doesn't port over, copy the idea onto a prim that does port.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Personally, I would have made it so that any1 that actually owned land could sell items on the MP for free, and any1 that did not would be charged a 10% commission fee.

I often wonder why I'm hanging on to 2 sims. So, if I was getting equal reward for my two sims as someone with a tiny parcel it would be just enough reason to give them up and settle on a tiny parcel. Many other merchants are wondering why they have inworld shops, and if getting free MP was the only justification then, like me, they’d probably go for as cheap as possible. So your idea could backfire.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.