Why is it so easy to block people?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If someone isinsulting us, we simply block them and move on. I have like 20 people on my block list, and i won't unblock them either.

But actually, blocking is not really a punishment.

Sometimes i ask myself: Isn't there a way i can make them responsible for what they did? Or what if i block them and they want to apologize?

In RL we would probably call the police, or maybe hit them in the face... but here in SL (or on FB or anywhere else) people simply press the Block button and move on. But... Why?

Aren't those people interested in making others pay for what they did? Like i said, blocking is not really a punishment, and it doesn't hurt to be blocked.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

If someone isinsulting us, we simply block them and move on. I have like 20 people on my block list, and i won't unblock them either.

Sometimes i ask myself: Isn't there a way i can make them responsible for what they did? Or what if i block them and they want to apologize?

In RL we would probably call the police, or maybe hit them in the face... but here in SL (or on FB or anywhere else) people simply press the Block button and move on. But... Why?

Aren't those people interested in making others pay for what they did? Like i said, blocking is not really a punishment, and it doesn't hurt to be blocked.

Aren't you advocating vigilantism? Though you may feel insulted, how do you know the intent was to insult? I certainly don't want to live in a world where I'm forced to pay for someone else's misunderstanding. I've been in SL for well over five years and have never blocked anyone.

I've been in SL since 2004 in one form or another and in all this time I have only blocked 3 people recently because they were spamming me. I am not easily offended because I don't take people who are not important to me seriously. Normally I just laugh at their dumb crap and go on about my business I find fools and trolls to be amusing. In RL I am the same way. 

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

A lot of avatars that end up being blocked were specifically created to try to get people upset. They're completely disposable. It's impossible to "hurt" them and when you try to you'll just set yourself up for more abuse or the chance of losing an avatar/account that you DO care about.

With these types of avatars? Ignoring hurts more than anything else.

Make them pay?????  Why would you seek revenge and ruin your own SL just to get back at someone that insulted your pixels?  Life is too short and sticks and stones and all that....

I rarely block anyone except for really serious stuff.  Most of the time if ignoring them doesn't work a TP out or hitting the eject button (depending on where i am) is all that I need to do then i get on with my SL. 

You sound like a drama llama. 

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

I let Karma do its job. 

But on the other side of this, I have been in Second Life for six years.  In six years I have only ever had to block/mute one person.  So it makes me wonder what is it about the way that you are living your SL that you have needed to block/mute so many.

After all, you are the least common denominator here.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

A lot of avatars that end up being blocked were specifically created to try to get people upset. They're completely disposable. It's impossible to "hurt" them and when you try to you'll just set yourself up for more abuse or the chance of losing an avatar/account that you DO care about.

It is impossible to 'hurt' anyone on the Internet.  It is also impossible to get or be hurt by someone on the Internet.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

I let Karma do its job. 

But on the other side of this, I have been in Second Life for six years.  In six years I have only ever had to block/mute one person.  So it makes me wonder what is it about the way that you are living your SL that you have needed to block/mute so many.

To be fair it's easy to rack up 20 blocks in (for me 4) years. If you have bad luck and get rude people you get that. Of course theres also the issue of one person having alts so you have to block all of them as well. really 20 is relatively low especially if your the time to talk to anyone (aka give anyone a chance) then you'll get that. I consider myself fairly easy to get along with and I think I have like 16 muted. (though I might have muted a few by accident when I meant to derender them. lolz)

As to the OP. Revenge is sooo not worth the effort. If the person is crappy enough they'll have no firends anyway or get banned from every place they go to so their basically adding nails tot he coffin with there own crap behavior. No need to go out of ones way to punish them as that would take work.

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

You are a scary person.. Just move along and forget those people. The only real thing someone could do in Sl is to insult you in which the only punishment should be a block. What else would you do? Rather violent to think of anything else just from a simple insult.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

I let Karma do its job. 

I was thinking she is insulted way to easy. I could be wrong but the whole revenge thing.. really? Scary.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

I let Karma do its job. 

To be fair it's easy to rack up 20 blocks in (for me 4) years. If you have bad luck and get rude people you get that. Of course theres also the issue of one person having alts so you have to block all of them as well. really 20 is relatively low especially if your the time to talk to anyone (aka give anyone a chance) then you'll get that. I consider myself fairly easy to get along with and I think I have like 16 muted. (though I might have muted a few by accident when I meant to derender them. lolz)

As to the OP. Revenge is sooo not worth the effort. If the person is crappy enough they'll have no firends anyway or get banned from every place they go to so their basically adding nails tot he coffin with there own crap behavior. No need to go out of ones way to punish them as that would take work.

She said TWENTY PEOPLE.  I took that to mean INDIVIDUALS.

I am aware of the Alt problems people have from time to time.

I do guess because of the way birds of the feather flock together that you could wind up going somewhere and have to mute several people.

But then again, people are very cautious about how they treat my Species.  Martians do have a reputation.  ;)

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

This ^^. Absolutely.

In real life if someone insults me, I block them - that is to say, I ignore them. They are only words.

If someone were to fill my garden with cardboard boxes or mattresses, then I'd probably be inclined to get advice from local police.

And if someone bumped me repeatedly somewhere, then I'd let them do it so many times, and when they were least expecting it, I'd move swiftly out of the way, so they would fall on their arse.

Its Second Life. Pointless to do anything except mute and move on. Its not about punishing them, its about not even acknowledging their existence, because attention is all they are out to get.

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

In 1651, a collection of proverbs written by George Herbert, called Jacula Prudentium, was published, wherein he wrote, "Living well is the best revenge."  This simple statement still rings true to this day.  What better punishment can there be than moving on and having a good life, while the offending party is left to face their own miserable existence?

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Skylar Meridoc wrote:

In 1651, a collection of proverbs written by George Herbert, called
Jacula Prudentium
, was published, wherein he wrote, "Living well is the best revenge."  This simple statement still rings true to this day.  What better punishment can there be than moving on and having a good life, while the offending party is left to face their own miserable existence?

...Dres

Dres Rocks my World! :D

Children and adults behaving like children, exact revenge for stupid things. Adults ignore and move on.

I have never muted anyone in sl, and I still don't find it necessary to do so. I can just as easily ignore and the mute button isn't something I need to make that happen. That's not to say I haven't run into situations where it may have been needed, I've just never used it and don't need to.

I've taught my kids from birth that people are different. We are all different in different ways, sometimes those ways are good and sometimes they're not. But no one else in this world can control how you deal with the things around you. My children are young still, so they're still learning. I expect them to want to call names back, or react right out the gate and not have the reservation and maturity to keep their own unkind words and actions to themselves. I expect this, despite the fact that I have taught them from birth not to do this, because they are CHILDREN. One of my children is autistic and has plenty of other health issues as well. They are also very quirky, and not atypical kids as many seem to think. We're an odd bunch. So verbal bullying, and even physical, is not out of the realm of norm, at times. I can tell you that one of the most important lessons I have ever taught them is to "kill with kindness". It's not always effective, sometimes it backfires. But at least in the end you know where you stand and you don't have to question your own actions. I don't believe for one moment even the most annoying, hell even downright evil, people on this planet don't at some point question their own actions. I believe they do. Whether it goes beyond just pondering, I'll never know, but I'm still sure they do. So I've armed my kids with the knowledge that, regardless of what happens in life, they will always come out on top if they follow the kill with kindness. I've also taught them to ignore too. which can be just as effective. They are, still, kids after all. They'll learn in time. For now, kill them with kindness works better than anything. Because I just know, at times, they're going to react, and engage. So they need the knowledge and tools to be able to do that, without taking their own selves down a few pegs.

As adults, we're far more reacitonary than children so very often, and the stupid part about that is, we have the knowledge and ability not to be. We just make dumb decisions on the spur of the moment. We engage far too much. It will always be the bigger person that walks away, not engaging, not reacting. We can't seem to get a grasp on kill them with kindness to save our lives. We're a stubborn bunch, most definitely. If more of us learned to live and let live, ignore that which we can, and kill with kindness the things we cannot ignore, the world would be a much happier place. Well if more of us employed those abilities, we all know how to do it.

*That, of course, does not apply to all situations, killing someone who is physically harming you with kindness, isn't going to be very effective. On the 'net however, it applies more times than not.

Why lower yourself to the same level as the people you complain about? It really makes you no better. Be the bigger man, or woman, and just walk away. If you really need a tool to help you mute, then use it. At some point in your life you're going to run across someone you wish you could mute with some tool, and it won't be there. Best to learn to ignore and walk away, as soon as possible, imo.

I'm mostly agreed, Tari!

"Killing with kindness" is an interesting phrase. To me, It suggests a cluelessness on the part of the giver. To purposely kill with kindness means the kindness was insincere. The "deadly kindness" I've experienced, and you probably have as well, is like the doting aunt who plants so many kisses on your cheek that you just want to smack her. Think of poor Ralphie on the stairs in the adorable bunny jammies from clueless Aunt Clara. *

So, you and yours would, I believe, not actually kill with kindness, but simply be kind, even if that requires some effort to get to a place where it's genuine. If you aren't happy being kind, it's not kindness, it's acting. If you enjoy being kind, your kindness doesn't make you bigger, it makes you happier.

Does that make sense?

As for adults behaving like children, there are times and ways in which that is a lovely thing to do. To paraphrase Mark Twain, the difference between childish and childlike behavior is like the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

* - I'm not an aunt, but I am the kind of cousin who, having heard of Ralphie's humiliation at a family reunion, would sew up an adult size bunny suit to give him on his 40th birthday.

You're right it is always sincere, or as sincere as a child being bullied can be, lol. Killing with kindness is just the way we phrase it. In the end it amounts to showing, despite adversity, you can still come out on top in most situations.

And yes childlike behavior isn't always bad, hehe. Childish, on the other hand, usually is. Though, personally I think it should be called adultish, because we do it an awful lot more than kids ever do. The whole eye for an eye thing, you hurt me I hurt you, you get my point I'm sure.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I'm mostly agreed, Tari!

"Killing with kindness" is an interesting phrase. To me, It suggests a cluelessness on the part of the giver. To purposely kill with kindness means the kindness was insincere.

I've found that there's rarely anything clueless about killing someone with kindness.  That kind of kindness is, more often than not, an act of passive-aggression... usually in a deliberate attempt to paint your adversary in a negative light, while you stake your claim to the roll of tortured victim.  I recently blocked someone who was guilty of that very sort of manipulative behavior and, if I had the chance to do it all again, I would not have put up with it as long as I did.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I'm mostly agreed, Tari!

"Killing with kindness" is an interesting phrase. To me, It suggests a cluelessness on the part of the giver. To purposely kill with kindness means the kindness was insincere.

I've found that there's rarely anything clueless about killing someone with kindness.  That kind of kindness is, more often than not, an act of passive-aggression... usually in a deliberate attempt to paint your adversary in a negative light, while you stake your claim to the roll of tortured victim.  I recently blocked someone who was guilty of that very sort of manipulative behavior and, if I had the chance to do it all again, I would not have put up with it as long as I did.

...Dres

You've never met my Aunt Martha. She's gone now, but the kindness she showed by gifting me a set of drums when I was six nearly killed my parents. Yes, that's collateral damage, but I think it still counts.

You're absolutely right that people can and do act kind as a way to manipulate. But my own experience has been that, as in so many other things, cluelessness is more common than maliciousness.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.