Huh...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I heard about something that is apparently common here.

As in a people could look like a dog, a MLP pony, an anime character, a child, a dionsaur, an anthro animal, or whatever., Then they go to a place that does NOT say "DO NOT BE ANY OF THESE THINGS" anywhere, and get ejected by a mod or security bot.. But they come back as a realistic adult human and nothing happens, no banning or ejection whatsoever..

I've actually heard about that sort of thing happening.

Though to me, any place that does that is probably is not worth my time . This is supposed to be a fun fantasy world so unless there is some theme that would indicate things like children, dinosaurs, or cartoon characters are not appropriate to the setting...

*Edited because I  had a badly thought out wording...

It is usual for that sort of rule to be in force in roleplay sims, to allow the people there to have a shared experience that is not fragmented by somebody deciding to go against what everybody else wishes to do. For example, a roleplay sim with a medieval theme might insist that all visitors also wear a medieval costume, to avoid creating an incongruity.

There might be an amimal sim somewhere that has a rule that no human avatars are allowed, for the same reason.

As you say, it's a fantasy, but the sims you are pointing out have such rules do so because they want to created a shared fantasy, not a free-for-all. Somebody who pays for the use of the land has the right to insist on visitors following their rules.

The golden rule is, when you visit somebody's place, arrive at their designated arrival centre (i.e. do not MAP-TP right into the middle of the cluster of green dots), and look to see if they have any special rules on display or in a notecard giver.

MelodyHighnote wrote:

I was talking about places like casual hangouts and a person in charge simply does not like a certain avatar theme so he or she kicks people just because of how the person expressed himself or herself even though it did not break any stated rules or themes.

The funny thing is: My elf looks more human than most of the so called human avatars in SL.

MelodyHighnote wrote:

Trust me, I know better than to go to a place called "sexy island" as a little kid or a serious Old West sim as a dinosaur lol.

You mean there weren't any dinosaurs in the old west? Not even any Tyrannosaurus Rex ones? I find that hard to believe.

The old west is.... well.... old. And, coincidentally, dinosaurs are also old. So they both occupied the same time period and, therefore, there must have been dinosaurs in the old west, and you should be ok going to dedicated Old West sims as a dinosaur.

MelodyHighnote wrote:

As in a people could look like a dog, a MLP pony, an anime character, a child, a dionsaur, an anthro animal, or whatever., Then they go to a place that does
NOT
say "DO NOT BE ANY OF THESE THINGS" anywhere, and get ejected by a mod or
security bot
.. But they come back as a realistic adult human and nothing happens, no banning or ejection whatsoever..

What a mod does is one thing, but a security bot has no way of knowing what kind of avatar you have. It can only eject based on scriptable factors like number of days in SL, payment info on file or the height of the avatar bounding box. It's very possible that the ejections were for some of these factors and being able to return later as a "human" is a coincidence.

@ MelodyHighnote:

Yes, it's a common problem. Sometimes I feel LL should change Second Life's strapline to:

Your World, Your lack of imagination.

But, hey that's just me. I got rid of my last human avatar over 7 years ago and I don't miss them one little bit. Some place has issues with non-human avatars? They've just lost not only my business but the potential business of everyone I know in RL who has an SL account. Some venue has issues with my non-human avatar and my band of merry non-human alts? We won't be playing there, it's their loss.

Owning land let's you choose your rules... So land owners kick anyone they feel violates their sense of what SL can be. Luckily, there are places where any avatar is welcome. (All avatars are welcome at my coffee shop). You just need to find the right places to hang out,

See? I was right! Unless my eyes deceive me, that's a pterodactyl that they killed. I think the confederates were using them against the north.

They were flourishing on a plateau in the deepest jungles somewhere in South America and undoubtedly some migrated north.

Your world,Your Imagination vs My world, My imagination. 

Some landowners want to create a specific atmosphere based on similar venues in RL, even if it isn't a roleplay sim.  It isn't that you are not welcome, but that you need to change into an adult avatar to hang out there and in some cases a human adult avatar.  If  you don't want to, that is your choice.

My regular every day avatar is a human adult avatar.  However, when I go to a venue geared towards another type of avatar I change my avatar to fit that venue, unless it specifically says adult humans are welcome.  Even then I more than likely will change just for the fun of it.  IMO, it is only common courtesy towards other players there and honors the hard work the venue owner put into the place.  I don't think it is unreasonable for you to do the same.  You wouldn't go into a bar in RL and see children or children's toys, like My Little Pony, there.  If you owned a MLP venue that you worked hard on, I doubt you'd want a bunch of 1% biker avatars showing up there.

The bottom line is that you are not entitled to go anywhere you want to go, even if the venue is public.  You are only entitled to be on land owned by LL, and then only on LL land that is not specifically for premium members if you are not premium.  Any other place in SL, you are there at the owner's pleasure. When you pay for the land, you get to set the rules and decide, based on any reason you care to name, who can be there.  A land owner can boot and ban you for any reason all or no reason at all and is not even required to give you an explanation.  You agreed to this when you agreed to the TOS at the time you opened your SL account.

The authorities cannot prevent the people from knowing the truth. Maybe they can for a while, but it will always come out in the end. The only repercussions that may happen is that those who sought to prevent the people from knowing the truth will be held accountable.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

The bottom line is that you are not
entitled
to go anywhere you want to go, even if the venue is public.  You are only entitled to be on land owned by LL, and then only on LL land that is not specifically for premium members if you are not premium.  Any other place in SL, you are there at the owner's pleasure. When you pay for the land, you get to set the rules and decide, based on any reason you care to name, who can be there.  A land owner can boot and ban you for any reason all or no reason at all and is not even required to give you an explanation.  You agreed to this when you agreed to the TOS at the time you opened your SL account.

So many people fail to understand this. I think it comes partly from the perception of SL as a kind of game (which it may or may not be, but that's a whole other subject!). When you buy or download a game, there's a feeling of entitlement and ownership. The game is for you, the player. You are the most important person in that universe, and people damn well expect to go where they please.

SL, as a shared world, is totally unlike this. It's not even like shared-world games. The content isn't created by LL for the consumer. It's created (mostly) by other users, and available at the price they choose to set. That price can be in L$ or any other condition set upon entry. 

Clearly this is something you understand but the OP, and so many others I've met, do not.

And? Who cares?! Thats not the god damn point of the OP and anyone else who complains about this set of rules. All we ever hear from others (ALL normale everyday human avatars of course!) is that "oh its their right to do so, stop being stupid!"

To your suprise: We KNOW that they can set the rules (other way we would have them reported for discrimination long ago), but at the same time its our right say what we thing about this dumb rules which show nothing but how ignorant and low-minded they are. (Note: Its not about roleplay sims, that argument got brought here by you, the humans, but was never point of the OP.

There should be many places where human avatars get discriminated as a revenge.

I find it completely logical and understandable that certain sims have certain dresscodes and avatar rules.

For me SL is about immersion, visiting somewhere and imagining it is real or that at least there is a certain type of reality.

If I went to visit a space station, I'd be well miffed if I saw a 16th centur pirate ship fly by my window.

If I went to a prehistoric sim to be a dinosaur, I'd be annoyed to see some Barbie girl running around.

A sim is a simulation, a recreation, a place with a theme.

The stronger the theme the more immersive the experience.

In my sim we have a dress code and avatar rules, our visitors, our guests and extra important our tenants and supporters come here to immerse themselves into the 1920s, they want to experience it as much as they can, they want to try and imagine that it is real as much as SL allows us.

If you pay rent to "live" in the 1920s, pay a fortune on authentic 1920s clothes, do research so you can decorate your home in 1920s style, if you even spend time to learn about 1920s daily life and really enjoy getting up in the morning, walking around 1920s Berlin, chatting to your 1920s friends about 1920s things... you are really not going to enjoy some fantasy dragon wandering around in jeans.

It ruins the experience.

Now that may not be your cup of tea and you may enjoy quite the opposite, that is your right and I wish you lots of fun with that.

But to me and the many people that have been part of our 1920s commune for over 4 years, that is not what we want from SL.

And the great thing about SL is that it can make our dreams come true.

So respect each other and allow people to enjoy their dreams the way they want to even if it does not fit your idea of SL.

Jo Yardley wrote:

If I went to a prehistoric sim to be a dinosaur, I'd be annoyed to see some Barbie girl running around.

Oh, I don't know . . .

. . . anachronisms never bothered Hollywood too much (actually, it was a Hammer Film, made in the UK!)

raquel.jpg

Some people might embrace the concept wholeheartedly.

raquel1.jpg

I find it entirely believable that cave women had seamstresses.

And hair salons.

Entirely!

OP: Maybe you missed their rules note card. I don't know you, and I have no idea who you are referring to, so if I had to make a guess, that would be one of them. Another might be 'they were having a bad day' or 'they like to see non avian avatars fly' or 'they simply did not like the sight of (whoever.)'

How can we tell you more, when you've been there and we have not?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.