No More Temporary Texture Uploads with Server Side Appearance Update - Is It true???

Lasher Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3901 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on my holidays  since just before the roll out that forced us all to  update to the newer viewers. Upon return today I've seen snippets of conversation that sugest that tempory uploading of textures is no longer possible where SSA has already been enabled.

Is this true?

^L^

snippets of conversation that sugest that tempory uploading of textures is no longer possible where SSA has already been enabled.

Is this true?

Yes ... BUT don't panic.

You can get the same effect with the "Use Local Fexture". That avoids the temp uploading and uses a texture off your hard drive.

Less load oin Linden servers, and you can edit that texture and see the changes faster.

OTOH the local textures are visible only to one person: you. Temp-uploads were visible to all other residents as well as long as they lasted. So the benefit to you may vary depending on the goals you try to archive... And as for the load, seriously, how many temp-uploads of textures are there on a region at any given time?

Thanks - I've been aware of local textures for quite some time and I have always found them a poor, fussy and inferior substitute which is why I didn't use the facility.

Not being a tech head or SL geek I find it odd that LL  intoduce  Server Side Apearance to make an improvement to our 'user eperience' (horrible phrase) and then force us to use the very thing for temporary uploads that they brought about these changes to avoid.

Surely  for every session I have utilising 'tempory uploads' (local textures to use their jargon) is going to put extra load on their already pathetically overloaded low spec servers just as much as uploading a tempory texture does.

I may be wrong and not understanding what the technology involves but wasn't SSA introduced in order to avoid their servers having to access files that were stored on our 'puters ?

^L^

Lasher Oh wrote:

I may be wrong and not understanding what the technology involves but wasn't SSA introduced in order to avoid their servers having to access files that were stored on our 'puters ?

^L^

Their server doesn't interact with a local texture on your PC, it's merely loaded and rendered by your viewer so yes, working as expected.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Lasher Oh wrote:

^L^

Their server doesn't interact with a local texture on your PC, it's merely loaded and rendered by your viewer so yes, working as expected.

Lasher? Did you ever think about why they are called "local textures"? It's not "jargon" for temporary textures, they are not the same as temporary textures, which are loaded from someones computer to the sim to all viewers. (Instead of the "normal way" from the asset server to the sim to all viewers) The local textures stay local, they never leave the user's computer. This means less network traffic, less server load and faster response when changed. The only downside is, others can't see it.

Temp Uploads were always an unsupported hack that hijacked part of the avatar baking process.

The exploit was fixed but you should be glad that LL decided to provide a replacement rather than opting to make us pay for every WIP texture we upload

Gadget Portal wrote:

Temp textures for non-clothing should still work though, shouldn't they? After all, SSA has no effect on prims.

Technically the new setup wouldn't prevent you from applying temporary textures to prims, but it won't be possible to upload them any more, so there will be none to apply.

The temp upload system was never intended to be a general purpose thing, it was there specifically for avatar textures. Since the new system doesn't need them any more, the local simhost asset servers are being discarded.

Gadget Portal wrote:

That'll be a problem for people that aftermarket texture vehicles- most of the popular vehicles are sold no mod, and require a UUID to apply the texture. With temp textures, that worked fine.

Are you saying that all the aftermarket textures are done using temps or are you just referring to the ones used for "test puropses?"

Just seeking clarification.

There is a workaround for that, but it would be nice if viewers could expose it more conveniently.

Local textures actually do have UUIDs. If you apply the desired local texture to a prim of your own, you can retrieve it with llGetTexture, then paste that UUID into the car's texture prompt.

The same limitations apply: only you can see them, and it's up to your viewer if it wants to remember those UUIDs between logins (standard viewer doesn't try to remember).

Perrie Juran wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

That'll be a problem for people that aftermarket texture vehicles- most of the popular vehicles are sold no mod, and require a UUID to apply the texture. With temp textures, that worked fine.

Are you saying that all the aftermarket textures are done using temps or are you just referring to the ones used for "test puropses?"

Testing. Get a new vehicle, make a texture, and then apply it via a script listen inside the no-mod vehicle. Often the mesh or sculpt doesn't do with the texture what you expect, and not all vehicles come with templates.

The last helicopter I did, had 6 faces that had to be textured. 4 of them lined up, and two did not. So every time I tried to make a stripe, it was way off. It would have cost me hundreds of L$ in textures before I got it right, if not for temp textures...

Cerise Sorbet wrote:

There is a workaround for that, but it would be nice if viewers could expose it more conveniently.

Local textures actually do have UUIDs. If you apply the desired local texture to a prim of your own, you can retrieve it with llGetTexture, then paste that UUID into the car's texture prompt.

The same limitations apply: only you can see them, and it's up to your viewer if it wants to remember those UUIDs between logins (standard viewer doesn't try to remember).

That's interesting, I did not know that. I'll have to try that next time I'm in-world.

And for anyone working with others, we have been saving the files we are working on out to Google Drive. When we want to see in world anyone in our group can rez a copy of what we are working on and grab the texture from Google Drive. It is a little slower to see updates, but works well for sharing when needed.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Don't know what you're trying to say, Temp Textures wouldn't be good for any vehicle, since they are temporary in nature.

And if you're implying you can't get the UUID of a real, non-temp texture, you're completely wrong. Any full perm texture can be right clicked and "Copy Asset UUID" chosen. So as far as UUIDs go, there is no issue at all.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Exploit where you can get a uuid for a temp texture, that persists after the texture is deleted I guess. Never tried, but might just work/have worked.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheetah Kitty wrote:

I may have missed this in my panic of no more temp uploads but, how do you upload a local texture?

You don't!  For that is why it is called a "Local" texture, it never leaves your PC, it's rendered by the viewer.

This is NOT a new feature, it is a superior feature and has been available for over a year, yes that long, probably even longer I forget.

You choose the "Local" radio button in the texture picker on your object, can't miss it, it's next to the one marked "Inventory".  Then you "Add", go and find your texture and select it.

The neat part is if you have SL open and your graphics software, as soon as you update the texture in your software, the inworld view will change.

For too long, people have used the inefficient method called "temp textures".

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3901 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.