It's Here!!! New PC!!!

Czari Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

WHOOO-HOOOOO!!!!  My new PC arrived yesterday afternoon. :matte-motes-big-grin:  Since then I have been in the process of setting it up both physically and beginning the process of installing my programs.  I am a Mozy subscriber (a company that automatically backs up data, photo, etc. files to their server or "the cloud" automatically) so I am currently in the long process of restoring those files to my current PC.  Fortunately I can still use my PC while that is going on.

I will try to keep this post fairly brief....

*LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the look of the PC.  It has a partially clear side panel so that the PC "innards" can be seen.  That's a first for me but considering I had one side of my old PC off for the last month or so due to one of the fans not working and it overheating, I'm used to that look...lol.

*This PC is ultra-quiet!!!!  My former PC was an AMD-Athlon.  I recall reading something recently that AMDs tend to be a bit noiser than Intel chips.  Of course after 10 years in "PC-years", there are bound to be some "creaks."

*I ordered the graphics card from a different merchant so won't have that for about another week; currently running onboard graphics.

*Awhile back my father got an All-in-One PC and gave his former 22" monitor to me.  I had been using a 15".  I decided to wait for the new PC and get used to all new things at once.

*Sooooooooo, I dl'd the CoolVL viewer since it is a lighter viewer as well as having the v1 interface with which I am familiar.  Set up all the preferences I could find to my specifications.  Held my breath as I logged in.  The first thing I noticed was that my house seemed to have doubled in size.  I'm thinking that is due to the larger monitor.

I *am* having a few annoying issues that I'm not sure if they're being caused by the viewer, some settings I missed, Win 7, etc.  I tried finding similar issues on the CoolVL forums but didn't see anything similar in search and for some reason I wasn't able to register on the site to post questions.  Will have to deal with that later.

The "ultimate test" was to go to water/land level of my sim.  Previously I could barely even type down there due to all the scripted objects my neighbors run - waves, schools of fish, water sounds, you name it.  When a friend showed me how to open the frames window I was running at a whopping 3.8 fps.  No wonder I had such difficulty.  This morning I checked and, using mid-settings, with water turned on (I can actually see the ripples!!!), and draw distance at 112, the fps was 60.  And that's with onboard graphics.  It was amazing to actually see my neighbor's house; usually it looked on my screen like I was on an island by myself...lol.

So, to say that I am thrilled would be an understatement.  I expect to have about a month of "breaking it in" until I have things set the way I want but even at this early stage...the new PC is AMAZING.

Thank you all so very, very much for your support, encouragement, advice, suggestions, and allowing me to complain about my old PC for the last year. :matte-motes-bashful-cute: 

Edit: Typo and clarification

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Fantastic, Czari. But until you've seen me, you ain't seen nothing!

Will you stop that? You're embarassing me.

I'm happy to hear your new PC is thrilling you, Czari. If and when you do finally meet Maddy in-world, set your sun to midnight. There's less chance of damaging your new rig if she's barely visible.

Enjoy!

Now now, you two...stop it. It's not about you...it's about Czari's new computer.

Let's settle this like adults....you go get your bikinis on and I'll get the pool fill it with the chocolate pudding.

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

ETA: Tickets will be available at the event for $50L each...

Tex Monday wrote:

Now now, you two...stop it. It's not about you...it's about Czari's new computer.

Let's settle this like adults....you go get your bikinis on and I'll get the pool fill it with the chocolate pudding.

It's always about Maddy, Tex. The only clothing I have is the referee's outfit you see in my forum badge. Maddy won't give me more to cover up with... or less.

Mark me down for a ticket.

Snugs McMasters wrote:

It's always about Maddy, Tex. The only clothing I have is the referee's outfit you see in my forum badge. Maddy won't give me more to cover up with... or less.

Mark me down for a ticket.

got your order covered, Snugs

If Maddy won't offer anything else, we'll have to have this competition au natural...

(and ticket prices just doubled...:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

WHOOO-HOOOOO!!!!  My new PC arrived yesterday afternoon. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Wooooot.

Sounds like it's tim eto celebrate with a good old fahioned cheese rolling.

Woooooot for you!

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Wooooot.

Woooooot for you!

Whether cheese rolling is an example of gender discrimination, or simply that one gender is a bit more discriminating, I'll leave to others to decide.

I personally prefer the more gentile celebration of bed racing...

There's nothing so alluring as flannel jammies.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

*I ordered the graphics card from a different merchant so won't have that for about another week; currently running onboard graphics.

Firstly Congratz :D

Wow to using motherboard graphics for SL. Just wait until your new graphics card arrives - you will need a bigger font size for your WHOOO-HOOOOO!!!!  :P

Pamela Galli wrote:

So happy for you Czari!  :smileyvery-happy:

Note: I was initially going to do a "group" thank you but each of you have been so helpful and/or supportive to me in various ways that...well, please forgive me for the oncoming totem posts.

Thank you, Pam!  Can't wait to come over to your store and be able to move around and see your wonderful creations.  I only made it as far as to the rugs before I was crawling around on my old PC.

Tex Monday wrote:

If I hop in the pool do I have to pay $50L?

(I can't believe I just said that; it's the adrenaline rush from the new PC.)

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Wooooot.

Woooooot for you!

Whether cheese rolling is an example of gender discrimination, or simply that one gender is a bit more discriminating, I'll leave to others to decide.

I personally prefer the more gentile celebration of bed racing...

There's nothing so alluring as flannel jammies.

How about a little bit of curling to go with that.

A sport which I think any man who engages in should be shot for.

It proves to you Ladies that us Men are capable of using a broom and hence have no excuse for not cleaning up after ourselves.  ;)

LOVED the jig video, Medhue, especially since my heritage is mostly Irish. :matte-motes-smile:

The specs:

*Coolermaster Case - Besides the price, the case was the first thing that caught my attention.  Sleek, black with blue trim on the front and lots of ventilation.  Last night it looked like the CPU heat sink fan wasn't operating (since I can see it through the open side) and I was like..."Noooo...."  I powered off the PC and watched the fan stop.  It rotates so quickly that I can't see the fan blades when it is running. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

*480W Power Supply - I plan to replace that after I receive the graphics card.

*MSI ATX Motherboard

*Intel i5-3570K CPU - I did a TON of research on Intel chips alone before deciding on that one for my price range.

*8 GB RAM with max ability on MB for 32 GB

*500 GB Western Digital HD - Saved a tiny bit of $ there by not going 1 TB; however, my old PC had a 40 GB HD and it wasn't full - getting there, but not quite, so 500 GB will be way more than I had. I'm thinking up the road of possibly adding an SSD (?), I think that's it, drive for my programs once the price comes down.

*Standard LG DVD Burner

*Win 7 - What I LOVE about where I ordered this is that, although they assembled the PC, I was sent all the packaging, instruction/installation guides, even the empty cases the RAM had come in PLUS the actual Win 7 disc in all the official MS packaging.  That was one of my annoyances with at least some off-the-shelf PC's - they "might" include a "restore disc" or recommend that the user create one.  The owner of one of the local PC shops that I checked out said that all MS sends to her are stickers with the registration number to give to the owners.

*Graphics card - I ordered it from a different store and agonized over it more than all the other components.  Thanks to a Father's Day sale until 6/30/13 at TigerDirect, I could fit into my budget an EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 660  2GB  Superclocked graphics card.  That should arrive in about a week;

Perrie Juran wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Wooooot.

Woooooot for you!

LOL...thank you, Perrie.  Errrrr...were people rolling cheese or rolling *in* cheese?  It seemed to be a combination of downhill skiing without the snow or skis, rugby, a race, and football.  Also, is that Gloucestershire, Mass. or England?

Rya Nitely wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Firstly Congratz
:D

Wow to using motherboard graphics for SL. Just wait until your new graphics card arrives - you will need a bigger font size for your
WHOOO-HOOOOO!!!!

:P

I was honestly amazed at the fps on the onboard graphics.  Yep - everyone prepare for the huge WHOOO-HOOOO!!!!  Thank you so much, Rya. :)

Deja Letov wrote:

YAY! Does this mean you can come back and visit my sim and see it how it should look instead of giant surfboards everywhere? LOL  So happy for you girly!

YES!!!!  I can actually see that mailbox you built the time I was there and didn't see it...lol; as well as all things mesh!  Thank you so much, Deja!  *Gal Pal Hug*

*Note to self: Start making a list of the first sims I wish to visit*

Perrie Juran wrote:

How about a little bit of curling to go with that.

A sport which I think any man who engages in should be shot for.

It proves to you Ladies that us Men are capable of using a broom and hence have no excuse for not cleaning up after ourselves. 
;)

Now that's a neat shot, Perrie. I curled for a few weeks one summer. As with every other throwing sport I've tried, my aim depends on the presence of a target. I never mastered hitting something else to make it hit the target, as in billiards, curling and bowling's 7-10 split.

I was warned by a tennis coach that my aim seemed evil. I learned that beaning the other girl in the forehead seemed to improve my chances of winning. Curiously, beaning my doubles partner in the back of the head during a serve also helped. Apparently it doesn't matter whether you get your opponent to laugh or cry, either will distract them.

As for cleaning up, my ex-hubby seemed unable to scrub the food off a dirty plate. He thought I'd get fed up and do the job right myself. I simply lowered my standards below his.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

LOL...thank you, Perrie.  Errrrr...were people rolling cheese or rolling *in* cheese?  It seemed to be a combination of downhill skiing without the snow or skis, rugby, a race, and football.  Also, is that Gloucestershire, Mass. or England?

That is England.  And apparently the authorities have been trying to stop the event for several years now.

Link Pops is an example.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

LOVED the jig video, Medhue, especially since my heritage is mostly Irish. :matte-motes-smile:

The specs:

*Coolermaster Case - Besides the price, the case was the first thing that caught my attention.  Sleek, black with blue trim on the front and lots of ventilation.  Last night it looked like the CPU heat sink fan wasn't operating (since I can see it through the open side) and I was like..."Noooo...."  I powered off the PC and watched the fan stop.  It rotates so quickly that I can't see the fan blades when it is running. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

*480W Power Supply - I plan to replace that after I receive the graphics card.

*MSI ATX Motherboard

*Intel i5-3570K CPU - I did a TON of research on Intel chips alone before deciding on that one for my price range.

*8 GB RAM with max ability on MB for 32 GB

*500 GB Western Digital HD - Saved a tiny bit of $ there by not going 1 TB; however, my old PC had a 40 GB HD and it wasn't full - getting there, but not quite, so 500 GB will be way more than I had. I'm thinking up the road of possibly adding an SSD (?), I think that's it, drive for my programs once the price comes down.

*Standard LG DVD Burner

*Win 7 - What I LOVE about where I ordered this is that, although they assembled the PC, I was sent all the packaging, instruction/installation guides, even the empty cases the RAM had come in PLUS the actual Win 7 disc in all the official MS packaging.  That was one of my annoyances with at least some off-the-shelf PC's - they "might" include a "restore disc" or recommend that the user create one.  The owner of one of the local PC shops that I checked out said that all MS sends to her are stickers with the registration number to give to the owners.

*Graphics card - I ordered it from a different store and agonized over it more than all the other components.  Thanks to a Father's Day sale until 6/30/13 at TigerDirect, I could fit into my budget an EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 660  2GB  Superclocked graphics card.  That should arrive in about a week;

Sounds like a nice package. To me, the best part is you got 8 gigs of ram. I have the same card, or same version of the card with only 1.5 gigs, in my newer beast of a PC, and it handles all things quite well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.