And So It Begins...

Marcus Hancroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Announced today:

April 2, 2013 has arrived, and we have begun the first phase of Magic Box Shutdown. As of today, Merchants are no longer able to list unlimited-quantity items for L$10 or less using Magic Boxes. By noon PT tomorrow, April 3, 2013, any active, unlimited-quantity listingsfor L$10 or less using Magic Boxes will be unlisted. Note that the following will still be allowed:

• Magic Box listings priced at L$11 or higher.
  • All Magic Box listings with limited quantity items, regardless of price.

Note that the second deadline is fast approaching. On April 16th, 2013:

• Merchants will no longer be able to list unlimited-quantity items using Magic Boxes, regardless of price.
  • Any remaining active, unlimited-quantity listings using Magic Boxes will be unlisted, regardless of price.

I hope everybody is ready and has gotten their outbox problems resolved!  

Temporary respite only. It will only get steadily worse afterward for accumulated junkpile. Merchant used to at least need to have access to parcel somewhere to place magic box.

Land requirements slowly eliminates any completely absent merchant.

Now we have problem of all needed is avatar! Anyone can upload and relist every item from every mega-business-in-a-box in existence, creating the same tired duplication listings for 1000000th time & then never login again. Those type of garbage listings will now never disappear. Land arrangements are by nature temporary if absent. Avatars never die :(

well, as an echo to the OP title, id like to say "And so it goes on"...

Today, even after the shutting down of a big ammount of Magic boxes, my mp store is still displaying the same 4 wrong textures (not mines)  with no product page attached but linked to the MP homepage.

Ok so let's just say these 4 wrong pictures are from items that were more than 10 l$ and so lets hope these ugly textures will disapear after the second shutting down of Magic boxes in 2 weeks.

Howdy, Miss Amethyst!!

Yes, I completely agree.  There's a lot of stuff out there that is so old, or from merchants who aren't even in SL any longer that just needs to go away.  So yeah...I hope it all gets eliminated as well.  We'll see what happens as the day progresses.

Howdy, Miss Madeliefste!

As of 3:49am SLT (I know...it's crazy early) it is showing 2,504,522 items.  I think a lot of people are scrambling to get things relisted over night last night and that accounts for the 200,000 more items between when you posted and this morning.  It will be interesting to see what it's like when I get home after work this afternoon!

I was watching the items between 0-10L ~ on April 1 there were about 250,000 give or take ~ as of now there are 198397, so reduced by about 50k. It looks to me that either they are delisted, or, the Merchants are raising the prices to above the 10L threshold as they transition to DD.

And so begins the frustration!  Anyone else having trouble deleting old Magic Box items which have gone back to Unassociated Inventory?  I can delete them one by one, which takes ages - any attempt at bulk delete takes even longer, then fails with a jolly message saying "So sorry to keep you waiting.  We'll be right back!" then (not) helpfully invites me to Continue Shopping.

Umm, I wasn't shopping, thank you, I was trying to accomplish this wretched migration process.  Too much load on the system?  Think I'll come back tomorrow.

*sigh*

Tanya Matahari wrote:

And so begins the frustration!  Anyone else having trouble deleting old Magic Box items which have gone back to Unassociated Inventory?  I can delete them one by one, which takes ages - any attempt at bulk delete takes even longer, then fails with a jolly message saying "So sorry to keep you waiting.  We'll be right back!" then (not) helpfully invites me to Continue Shopping.

Umm, I wasn't shopping, thank you, I was trying to accomplish this wretched migration process.  Too much load on the system?  Think I'll come back tomorrow.

*sigh*

you are not forced to delete them one by one neither to delete them all together.

Normally, after having switch all your items to DD, you need to clik the button "synchronize with magicboxes" and you'll see they will disappear all together.

(i say "normally" bec the SL MP doesnt have any sane logical.... so its the way it should work but ones can never be sure with LL)

Argus Collingwood wrote:

OTOH get those items by merchants who are no longer in sL but still have fun stuff before the deadline. i.e. A Touch Of Ireland 

Yes, I just searched for All Categories - Oldest First. Here are avatars from 2004. Among the oldest is of course Apotheus Silverman, the creator of Magic Boxes. He has moved over DD. Most of the rest are probably the original Xstreet merchants and have left SL.  These items should all be gone after the next deadline. Shame about stores like A Touch Of Ireland though.

Oldest Items

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Ok so let's just say these 4 wrong pictures are from items that were more than 10 l$ and so lets hope these ugly textures will disapear after the second shutting down of Magic boxes in 2 weeks.

Now that will be something interesting to watch for. 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Ummmmmmmm......:matte-motes-agape:

I was just thinking 'bout you, Miss Czari.  I know that "...has gotten their outbox problems resolved!" isn't YOUR problem.  You need a new computer!  Didn't I hear you say you've got the money now in an earlier thread?  Maybe it's time to go shopping. :)  Or did something else come up and you don't have it any longer?  :(

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Ummmmmmmm......:matte-motes-agape:

I was just thinking 'bout you, Miss Czari.  I know that "...has gotten their outbox problems resolved!" isn't YOUR problem.  You need a new computer!  Didn't I hear you say you've got the money now in an earlier thread?  Maybe it's time to go shopping.
:)
 Or did something else come up and you don't have it any longer?  
:(

Ummm, well you see Sir....I was merrily on my way to the local Best Buy and then was distracted by a new book store that just opened and..."Ooooooo...shiny."  Well, you know how that goes. *Grins*  By the time I finished roaming the book store, I completely forgot about going to Best Buy.

....and if you believe that I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell. ;)

I do have the money but now my mother wants to put it on her credit card instead for better protection in case there is a problem.  The two main "issues" now are my mother and I synching up our time and ummmm, procrastination.

Have I mentioned how resistant to change I am? :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Trinity, thank you for your reply.  The magic box was already deleted, but it seemed that yesterday, whatever I did, these items wouldn't depart from Unassociated.  I know they were not really causing a problem there, it was more a case of me wanting them out of the way so I could see better what I was doing.  Doing better today, although I am still getting this "Sorry to keep you waiting" message, also when clicking Create New Listing. 

Now I have the problem that some of my migrated items are in the wrong category - I've attempted several times to change it, apparently without success, but maybe it takes a while to propagate through the system - anyone know?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.