Linden Lab employees misusing private user avatars ?

Olaf Demina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am married in SL with Dia E. and as I logged into SL today alone , I met my wife in BDSM play. I was upset and asked her what she 's doing here. Dia behaved oddly and was recently speaking Italian, though they usually can only speak dutch and a little German. Her voice in voice chat was completely different and male.

She said to me, things are not as it appears. She is not the right Dia, but an employee of Linden Lab, and she had just borrowed the avatar to control something.

If that 's the truth , Linden Lab then violated the trust of its users very seriously and it is a scandal. But maybe it was just another user who has hacked the account of Dia.

My question to all of you is: Have you already made similar experiences in SL, that other persons has captured your own avatar or the avatar of your friends?

LLs has been known to log into user accounts to handle support issues on those accounts. The last time I recall this was in 2009.

But not to engage in BDSM play...

Phishing has been going rampant of late. With people posting fake urls to marketplace listings in group chats and elsewhere... and so the more likely outcome is that her account was hacked. Contact her in RL and suggest cleaning the computer, looking for viruses and such, and password changes.

LL employee can login on your account and do various things with it but will do it only if you ask them. Before doing any of those things you (or your SL wife) would get notified via e-mail. I had one employee do something with my account but I was told in advance what and when.

Honestly, don't you think they have their own private avatars to use?

Yep I agree with the suggestions above. This account is possibly compromised...  They gave you the "Linden Employee" story to deter you from filing a report and being caught... I strongly suggest changing the password immediately. and have it investigasted, . Of Course this will lock down the account untill the investigation is complete..

Unless its her Italian brother or RL husband lol

Tamara Artis wrote:

LL employee can login on your account and do various things with it but will do it only if you ask them. Before doing any of those things you (or your SL wife) would get notified via e-mail. I had one employee do something with my account but I was told in advance what and when.

^^ that ^^

Really funny :)

1 - account compromised by phishing or trojan.

2 - she tried it and told her husband/partner/friend to tell you something

3 - her husband/partner/friend tried it

4 - A Linden -  technical possible but very unprobable.

Believing a stranger what he says? Extremly unprobable too, but as I see, this happens.

Tamara Artis wrote:

I think the most important question here is what were you doing in a bdsm club? Alone without your wife? hahaha

And its not a hacker or LL employee. 

I guess his wife has enabled him to spot her on the map. Thats why he found her in a BDSM area I guess.

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

Im sure all these words from NON-LINDENS are very comforting but you'd think a linden would take a few minutes to check this story out and come and issue a strong denial that it could ever happen or re-iterate the circumstances in which it might happen.....

To my mind, all they could do is  repeat the advice given in Linden Lab Official: Account Security  about what the OP's wife should do, since it appears that her account has been compromised, and the advice given in Linden Lab Official: Who are Lindens? 

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

Im sure all these words from NON-LINDENS are very comforting but you'd think a linden would take a few minutes to check this story out and come and issue a strong denial that it could ever happen or re-iterate the circumstances in which it might happen.....

Gee - have a problem with Linden Lab?

Too bad - if it had actually happened before, such news would have been splashed around every forum and personal blog by now. Seeing that such is not the case - it doesn't happen.

Period.

Take your vendetta elsewhere.

Gee  -have a problem with someone having an opinion different to your own?

I have news for you.  Your idea of a 'vendetta' is their 'opinion'.  It may be hard for you to accept, but they have every right to post that opinion.

I know it must be terrifying,  but other residents do not behold LL on the lofty pedestal you do.  

Accept this, and your forum experience will be easier.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

I have news for you.  Your idea of a 'vendetta' is their 'opinion'.  It may be hard for you to accept, but they have every right to post that opinion.

I know it must be terrifying,  but other residents do not behold LL on the lofty pedestal you do.  

Actually, Solar's "opinion" is based on facts that many of us here are aware of. 

Perhaps you should find out what they are.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

I have no issue with a difference in opinion. I have an issue with people whose vendettas blind them to reality.

The sooner you learn how to tell the difference, the better your forum experience will be.

I do not "hold LL on a lofty pedestal", kid. I hold reality on a pedestal.

But hey - it's not like you're coming into this quite late in the game with no clue at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4159 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.