How will war affect SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How will war affect SL?

Well if the US descends into civil war it might affect SL because one set of servers are in California and the second set are in Texas. Two states which are highly likely to end up on opposite sides if the US were to break up.

Other than that I can only see SL being affected by some nutcase blowing up one of the server farms Linden Lab owns. And even then the damage would only be temporary. As for physical damage to the internet itself it's likely that would have little or no affect as the internet would simply reroute itself automatically. Does that answer your question?

There are always wars going on. The world will eventually end and the poles will eventually shift but if you are worried about something like WW3 than don't be. SL isn't going anywhere anytime soon and the world isn't gonna end anytime soon.

Let's see - 1984 we were all gonna be under surveillance. Movies about it, songs about it, and while I was 10 at the time, but still I remember they ALWAYS talking about it being 1984 during that year, unlike any other, except maybe 2000.

1988/1989 - go look up the books "88 reason the rapture will be in 1988 ("89 reason for 89" didn't sell quite as well for some odd reason...)

1992/1993 was going to start the tribulations. I remember that was a huge fad saying the rapture was gonna happen and by 2000 it was all gonna be over.

Y2K - Another conveniently forgotten year. Oh that one was gonna be BIG.

2001 - This year started the REAL millenium.

May 2011 -The world was once again gonna end. They were SO sure this time!

These are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

You have probably seen and heard all this evidence that it will within the next few years but they are always saying that. And even if something did happen real soon, SL would be the least of most people's concerns.

Boudicca Littlebird wrote:

lol, the affects of peak oil take a while to feed the pipe, i don't mean to be rude, but that is all i will say, sorry, you will have to learn a lot more, sorry.

Well, here's your opportunity to explain and help me learn. Your question was how would war affect SL... my answer is there have been wars going on throught SL's existence and it's still here.

LOL, your eyes say it all, you picked the picture, we have spared before, Lucinda, to you I feel benevolent, you will be fine, just follow your heart, those that want guns will not be so happy, the world must change and only those that can change will survive, you will, so don't feel bad, understand that tomorrow needs those that survive today.

War?
Half the world is already at war, just not a declared one...

You talk about a few months befor "a" war starts, fyi, the entire middle east is at war for decades.
If you want war, wait another 15 to 25 years when we will have the Resource War, China and Japan are showing the world what they are in for in the long run with China also restricting mining permits.

Fun times ahead, hold on to your pants :-)

LOL, your eyes say it all, you picked the picture, we have spared before, Lucinda, to you I feel benevolent, you will be fine, just follow your heart, those that want guns will not be so happy, the world must change and only those that can change will survive, you will, so don't feel bad, understand that tomorrow needs those that survive today.

*starts with hand signals as she speaks* You (points to you)  are so wise(looks up opening her arms to the sky).

We(pointing to herself ) are not so wise (looks to the sky closing her arms)

We(pointing to herself) are kidding(grabs the card from her back pocket that reads) LOL

YOU (points to you) won't be happy( pointing to her frown) until (closing her arms as impatiant) this happens (clicks the button on the video)

ME (points to herself) WE (reaches under her horses necks hugging and petting as they rub back) will be fine when you have no more gas (winks)

People, come ON! What is wrong with you? Please try to keep your heads in the game, okay? We don't have time to talk about war right now—we still need to prepare for the Earth Changing Event—yesterday's equinox, remember? How can we go to war when all the troops from our coastal bases are hightailing it to higher ground inland?

Thank goodness at least one person has stayed focused* on the current danger.

Coast Guard.jpg

*Intended with malice aforethought

Alazarin Mondrian wrote:

How will war affect SL?

Well if the US descends into civil war it might affect SL because one set of servers are in California and the second set are in Texas.
Two states which are highly likely to end up on opposite sides
if the US were to break up.

Other than that I can only see SL being affected by some nutcase blowing up one of the server farms Linden Lab owns. And even then the damage would only be temporary. As for physical damage to the internet itself it's likely that would have little or no affect as the internet would simply reroute itself automatically. Does that answer your question?

'Highly likely' is a bit of an understatement, I think. As a native Californian I can assure you we're on opposite sides now, and we're still supposedly all part of the same country.

If only their women weren't so damn good looking.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

You took a brief time out for, it sounded like, something that actually matters. It's good you're back and I hope things are okay.

this place is a very good distraction from real life things..they made me go home for now to get some rest..so i am staying distracted for now..

but things are better than the other day in that ..Thank you for the kind words Dillion =)

Ceka Cianci wrote:

ok is right..

not a thing in this life can we take with us..so it's a waste being worried about losing what really isn't ours anyways..

we live..we get some stuff to use while we are here..then we die just as broke as anyone else in the world..

the only value is the life we live..and i'm not gonna spend it worried all the time about stuff..it's not worth the time i lose on it..

we can always get more stuff..we can never get more time..

I need to print this out and read it each morning!!!  I tend to be a worrier. :(  Thank you Ceka :)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

ok is right..

not a thing in this life can we take with us..so it's a waste being worried about losing what really isn't ours anyways..

we live..we get some stuff to use while we are here..then we die just as broke as anyone else in the world..

the only value is the life we live..and i'm not gonna spend it worried all the time about stuff..it's not worth the time i lose on it..

we can always get more stuff..we can never get more time..

I need to print this out and read it each morning!!!  I tend to be a worrier.
:(
  Thank you Ceka
:)

hehehe you are more than welcome to it =)

Thank you =)

Ceka Cianci wrote:

*starts with hand signals as she speaks* You (points to you)  are so wise(looks up opening her arms to the sky).

We(pointing to herself ) are not so wise (looks to the sky closing her arms)

We(pointing to herself) are kidding(grabs the card from her back pocket that reads) LOL

YOU (points to you) won't be happy( pointing to her frown) until (closing her arms as impatiant) this happens (clicks the button on the video)

ME (points to herself) WE (reaches under her horses necks hugging and petting as they rub back) will be fine when you have no more gas (winks)

Absolute all time classic post.

The only way to improve upon this would be to have pictures of you performing those actions with the text on them.

This would give your words the appropriate reverence they truly deserve be they in jest or meant seriously.

The images you paint combined with your astounding delivery Ceka are truly etheral.  

This delivery may well be, (theoretically) *traditional for you, but it is amaaaazing :D

Chants & cantrips...jpg

SL is made of many cultures and crosses all the borders that will become the front line-personally, what me and the people I interact do is that we dont share these type of information about our Real Life.  Theres a saying, "ignorance is bliss" and sometimes, its just better to not know something.   In order to aviod political tension between friends and  those you deal with, simply dont tell anyone where you are from and who's side your own, your beliefs, etc.

Do you think the internet will be cut off in places? The internet will most likely be cut off at least where the war is being fought.  Its probably going to be very unlikely that people will be playing videogames on SL while others are outside shooting each other, even if the internet isnt cut off.  In addtion, many countries are already "enemies" with SL and have banned it from use within their borders, and I wouldnt be too surprised if more countries end up banning SL due to political tension, especially when the political tension is with the US where SL is based, and I wouldnt be too surprised if a new regime takes over and bans SL because they don't like these type of things.

Many from the other side have sims, will they be forced to abandon them?  Its very well possible that they will, especially if they can no longer come on to SL to manage them.  The best bet for these people would be to have a co-owner or someone take over if they forsee that something like this many happen. 

How will it affect things like mp?  Tax rates may change with changes in government, restrictions on items sold may change, etc.

Will it be the final straw that closes SL? Probably not.  Even if SL loses a lot of people as a result its probably still going to retain enough people to keep up and running.  Its US based and has many American users, who will most likely not be cut off from SL any time soon unless they choose to go to war.  Most users come from  western countries like the US, chances are slim people in those countries may loose SL access due to modern war, especially US and Canadian users.

Personally, I really dont think we can really tell what may happen should some war break out.   With things like war, anything may happen.  It can start anywhere, involve anyone, affect anything, its really hard to really tell.  It all depends on the fight-where its being fought, who's fighting it, the opinions of those in charge, etc.  With something like this, at least for me, theres no telling what may happen, until it actually does happen.

http://anonymouslegionops.blogspot.com/ You mean this war??? So far this website has changed so many times its not funny but always able to find on google.

Life is death, Life is war, war never ends.

For me war is justice being served, for me war never ends until justice is served whatever that maybe. Things I can't actually discuss here.

War for those in IRAQ, WAR for those fighting for civil rights, War for those protesting on the occupy wallstreet and such.

War for corrupt cops, crooks, piracy, criminals, griefers.

It depends on how bad the war is, and what type of war it is, one day you could just wake up with no electricity because someone detonated a giant EMP bomb over your state, or a organized attack in many area's of any place in the world, electronic warfare, cyber attacks, you name it you call it. Viral Warfare, who knows.

It doesn't just depend on War however, it depends on Ecnomics, costs will go up of course because of the War.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Speaking politics, the way I see it, if another country wants a war with U.S we should give them a WAR, and I mean a serious war, not joking around with a couple of thousand soliders and m4 rifles, I mean real war the full wrath problem solved. Otherwise just stand our own ground and play defensively save some money you see the U.S itself doesn't have any money we are the worlds currency and our solution is just to keep printing money = inflation, and then their solution increase taxes, charge taxes online orders, you name it.

Or Maybe we will all make it past 2012 assuming the bible isn't real and the world doesn't end in the next 2 years or so based on myths and all that. Then the year will be 2100 or whatever I wont be here anymore or maybe I will be reborn who knows, but maybe it will be like this with warfare for those who actually watch the series.

In the unlikely event of another world war happening and if this war will be fought conventionally and not with atomic bombs, biological weapons or EMP's, it would be a good thing for SL.

History teaches us that in times of war people are desperate for more entertainment and distractions.

In Nazi occupied Europe more people went to the cinema then ever before or after.

When there is a war going on and you are not directly involved as a combattant, you will probably spend more time in SL.

Here is some juice for the conspiracy theorists.

The international Space station is a collaborative effort between the super powers of the world.. The same ones who want a new world order. The same ones who own nukes. They Shut down the Space Shuttle missions this year... Ironic since the end is near? LOL They must be ready. So now they will be able to live up there for 3 to 5 years... That should be long enough for nuclear disaster to settle after they wipe earth clean LOL. Oh by the way. They didn't make a seat for you :)

sorry. I couldn't resist LOL

Take a big breath innnnnnnn ,    ooouuuutttttt  , iiiinnnnnn  , ooouuuutttttt.  now you just had air sex!!!

On a cereal note (prefer coco puffs,the cheap kind in a bag!)

If you are from places like..

US

South America

Canada

Australia

and most of Europe .....You have nothing to worry about but watching it on the news.

As far as countries that have been fighting each other for the past oohhhh  ... 2000 years ....All I can say from my point of view..

No mater who wins or looses you will never stop fighting so do your self a favor and move from those not listed couturiers to one that is listed...I am more worried about predictions  made by people who seem to crawl out of caves and built giant mega cities in the jungle before the reported invention of the wheel or the use of beast of burden then I am worried about small countries we can calm down with a barrage of missiles and a smile.

Orrrr if you beeen drinking the Glen Beck Tea I suggest you turn it off and really take a honest look at your ability to disguise reality and la la land....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.