What is this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Went to my.secondlife.com to look at my profile because of problems from on-line, could not see some things. (I use Imprudence.)
From my.secondlife.com/(my avatar name), under Home, what is Trending, what is it for, and why is it so full of stuff I know nothing about (and don't care about), and how did all that "stuff" get in my Profile.  If someone looks at my Profile, do they see it, and think I put it there?  I saw nothing on my profile that said what it was for so asking here.
Really confused, still (SOP).

I can't say for sure what trending is, I pretty much avoid mysecondlife, but you have no control over what goes there. Mine is full of it as well, just as every other SL users is. I don't know if it takes the most liked comments and puts them up or what, but don't worry about it.

The "trending" part will be the same for everyone who looks at their own web profile or anyone else's on my.secondlife.com.

"Trending" means just that - what's popular/trendy currently.  It's a way for us residents to see what's popular, and which might give us a bit of direction/inspiration if we're at a loose end. In the same way that Facebook networks us to other people's activities when we click on our home page there.

Hi Teagan,

"Trending" is Linden Labs way of advertising Second Life to the rest of the world via unmoderated resident chatter. You may post messages and pictures (via the "Post to My Profile Feed" option in your viewer's Snapshot Preview window (older and some third party viewers do not have this option) to your own feed and messages to other's feeds. You may also "Love" a post. Two loves (I think) is sufficient to place a post into the Trending feed.

There are settings you can use to control access to and visibility of your feed. I don't recall what the default settings are, but if they allow public access and visibility to your feed, then people would be able to put messages there that could be seen by all. You may also "follow" other residents, which means you'll get notifications in your feed's inbox if they post things. You can control following from the "People" menu on the left of your feed home page.

The "Settings" menu on the left of your my.secondlife.com home page will take you to a page with three tabs: "Profile", "Privacy" and "Notifications". Here you may flesh out your profile, determine who may post to your feed and who may see it, and enable notifications to be send to you in-world and/or via e-mail when things happen (like someone posting to your profile feed).

You do have the ability to delete anything that is posted to your feed, so if it contains things you don't want, hover over the post and then click the little "x" that appears in the upper right corner of the message box.

If you don't plan to use my.secondlife.com, I'd suggest you make sure that the "Post on your feed" setting in "Privacy" is set to "Nobody".

Good luck!

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Hi Teagan,

You may also "follow" other residents, which means you'll get notifications in your feed's inbox if they post things. You can control following from the "People" menu on the left of your feed home page.

If you don't plan to use my.secondlife.com, I'd suggest you make sure that the "Post on your feed" setting in "Privacy" is set to "Nobody".

Ah- Ha!  I received an email message from SL about a week ago saying a particular Resident was following me.  It spooked me a bit...like I was being stalked...lol.  This was the first time I'd ever seen this.

Makes sense now.  I was never in favor of M's desire to make SL into TwitFace to begin with, and I still use the v1 Phoenix so wasn't aware of all these new *ahem* "features." 

Thank you for letting me know how to go and stop any further "following." ;)

Teagan Tobias wrote:

From my.secondlife.com/(my avatar name), under Home, what is Trending, what is it for, and why is it so full of stuff I know nothing about (and don't care about), and how did all that "stuff" get in my Profile.  If someone looks at my Profile, do they see it, and think I put it there?

Peope will only see "Trending" when looking at their own profiles, just as you did.

Teagan Tobias wrote:

Never to late.  But it sounds like people will never get in SL but spend there time here and then say, hey I could be on Facebook doing this, and leave, and never come back again.

Another reason I am glad I don't have a face account.

A lot of people feel that way. It can be like a (black/white/rainbow-coloured) hole that sucks you right in, leaving less and less time to log in to Second Life itself.

On the plus, for people who like to have a bit of a catch-up with their SL mates while they're on the move, on a smart phone, in the office, the web feeds seem ideal. I don't feel it's catching on in quite the same as LL were hoping though; it's certainly no substitute for Second Life main world, or Facebook, but I guess they have to try and increase popularity whichever way they can.

Regarding the lack of "reply" button over on the Answers section, no you didn't miss anything. We've been requesting that feature since this awful forum software was introduced.

What this is, is 3 years later than your viewer's last update. :)

Most of us see all of that inworld too now, when we view profiles, and have for about a year or so now.

The 'Feed' part gives you updates from your friends and those you follow. Trending is the overall view from SL - based on what things people will click 'love' on.

In your about section, is a whole new interests thing, that is searchable by 'exact matches' only. So you need to spell your entries there the same way everyone else will, or no one will find it. And if you want to search something out, likewise.

You can also update your profile images now, without uploading a pic into SL. Either from my.secondlife.com or from your inworld profile if you've updated since 2009.

Lastly, if you're viewer is up to date, snapshots you take can at your choice be posted right into the feed, from inworld.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Ah- Ha!  I received an email message from SL about a week ago saying a particular Resident was following me.  It spooked me a bit...like I was being stalked...lol.  This was the first time I'd ever seen this.

I've started following people with similar interests, so that I get feeds of things they post - as a way to find new things in SL.

The harder part is getting people to follow me. For that, you just have to be active on the trending page and reply to things that show up in your feed. :)

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Teagan Tobias wrote:

Thanks to all for the reply. I am a little less confused (am so, stop laughing).

They need a reply all for the forums, or is that something else I missed.

Wait.... I'm too late?   Gonna add my tiny contribution anyway.

I think this is what's supposed to happen.  People are supposed to be putting stuff on their feeds - building the social inertia of SL or something.

I'm finding the feeds and trending to be almost as active as here. About half of its the same people though. :)

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Then they're supposed to notice this 'trending' and wonder what it is.   They click on it and see all this feedy stuff from other people. 

See?  It's from other people. Their stuff is not trending.

The hoped for reaction is for them to work at getting their feedy stuff to show up over on the trending feedy thing.  To do that they have to work with their friends to love each others feedy things and make them trend.

Now if things are working up to this point people will then be spending their time feeding and watching the trending stuff to see if their stuff is in there.  If it's not then they have to feed harder.  Meanwhile they're seeing all the feedy things from other people which maybe at some point gets them to spend time and money in SL.

Is this clarity of thinking and expression typical of chipmunks, or are you unusual in that regard? I ask because I believe you have summed up the whole idea rather well.  The Feed can be used in other ways—as a way to keep in touch with friends, for example—but your comments apply to a great deal of what I've seen there.

Oh, first time ever for me. An edit before posting. I was thinking your comments were incisive. And then I thought of incisors. And I thought, "He's a chipmunk". So I bet it goes with the territory.

Interesting video Cousin, but has nothing to do with my SL.  I do not use face book or tweeter for anything related to Second Life.  My SL is all about entertainment.  My entertainment.  I go to live shows and that is just about it.  Well I do shop a little, can't go naki to the shows :)
I agree with the video as far as social media goes, but my SL is not social media, its only entertainment.  When it stops entertaining me, I will leave.

@ Qwalyphi
See, your not to late.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4391 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.