How do you deal with Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some people think whatever is true in Real Life should be true in SL. It is true you can see SL as an extension of RL but I think you will take all the fun out of it. For example my two friends below, let's call them Puff and Scuff. Puff likes to warm things up a bit, setting fires where ever she pleases and just causing general mayhem. Scuff on the other hand likes to poke his nose into what ever he can, scare people, and tries to eat their pets. We have all kinds of wild and crazy things, even Vampires in SL that would be more than happy to suck all the happiness out of you. Do you let them? Do you mute them? Do you make friends with them?  Do you wish they were banned?

And for you Hard Core SLers how do you deal with the Real Lifers that want to set rules for how you are to live your Second Life that want to tell you your SL experience is a reflection on your RL? Do you let them? Do you mute them? Do you make friends with them?  Do you wish they were banned?

We all see things from different points of view. I am not to saying one is right and the other is wrong, but they are different. When we are inworld there are ways to keep these different groups of people apart but here in the forums we all come together and there is no way to separate us. So how do you react to people that are very different from yourself?

PuffScuff2.png

All characters appearing in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to real or virtual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if someone isnt hurting/annoying/sucking someone else fun out/ then i dont really care what they do. each to his own, it is only when that "each to his own" interferes with someone else's  experience without their consentthat i get  pissed off. Like griefers..people who **bleep** with other people because they think they are smarter than everyone else, but really they are just bedroom bound children at their computers who don't have a life. nuff said.

wiked Anton wrote:

if someone isnt hurting/annoying/sucking someone else fun out/ then i dont really care what they do. each to his own, it is only when that "each to his own" interferes with someone else's  experience 
without their consent
that i get  pissed off. Like griefers..people who **bleep** with other people because they think they are smarter than everyone else, but really they are just bedroom bound children at their computers who don't have a life. nuff said.

Thank you Wiked. I can see you have some strong opinions and it made me very straight face for a while there, then I looked at your signature ♥lol♥ and it brought a smile back to my face. :)

Marianne McCann wrote:

Well, given I'm friends with Puff, I'll sit back and watch.

Though TBH, I've never personally seen them do anything that warranted a mute, thogh I do know of one who did mute them.

Shhhhh didn't you read the disclaimer at the bottom of the picture?

Brenda Connolly wrote:

Before orbiting was criminalized, annoying people were often treated to an all expenses paid trip to the stratosphere. Now I just point and laugh and go on my way.

Laughing is often the best solution. I find if you can't laugh at this craziness what can you do?

Keli Kyrie wrote:

Brenda Connolly wrote:

Before orbiting was criminalized, annoying people were often treated to an all expenses paid trip to the stratosphere. Now I just point and laugh and go on my way.

Laughing is often the best solution. I find if you can't laugh at this craziness what can you do?

Petition the Providers to decriminalize orbiting?

Brenda Connolly wrote:

Keli Kyrie wrote:

Brenda Connolly wrote:

Petition the Providers to decriminalize orbiting?

ikr

To each his own I say, just don't mess with my SL or force your opinions on me.

I just pity the troublemakers because i figure their RL and SL has nothing going for them and the only way they can feel good about themselves is to make other people feel bad or ruin their experience.  For the most part i just ignore them which really gets them mad because they just act that way for attention. Sometimes I just can't help myself and am a "little naughty" if they are really obnoxious just to show them that being nice and polite doesn't mean your a pushover.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

To each his own I say, just don't mess with my SL or force your opinions on me.

I just pity the troublemakers because i figure their RL and SL has nothing going for them and the only way they can feel good about themselves is to make other people feel bad or ruin their experience.  For the most part i just ignore them which really gets them mad because they just act that way for attention. Sometimes I just can't help myself and am a "little naughty" if they are really obnoxious just to show them that being nice and polite doesn't mean your a pushover.

You never know standing up to people can sometimes win you a friend. Some people like a challenge so they push people's buttons when they find someone that does get all freaked out they get curious and friendships can grow.

Personally I'm not fond of any opinion that supports the thought that another person can actually "ruin" sl for someone,or any aspect of it. If that makes any sense at all. No one can ruin your experience, unless you let them. I live my Sl the way I choose to and believe others ought to be given that same opportunity. We each control our own sl, for our own self.

If something, or someone, annoys me, sometimes I speak up and sometimes I simply walk away. It depends entirely on the situation at hand. I don't find it difficult to avoid the things I know I dislike, though. Or to, at least, pay them no mind when I do come across them. I don't really need to use mute, or give them more thought than I think they deserve. I don't sit and wish they were banned, or continue mulling over whatever it was that happened. It is what it is.

But that's just me.

Tari Landar wrote:

Personally I'm not fond of any opinion that supports the thought that another person can actually "ruin" sl for someone,or any aspect of it. If that makes any sense at all. No one can ruin your experience, unless you let them. I live my Sl the way I choose to and believe others ought to be given that same opportunity. We each control our own sl, for our own self.

If something, or someone, annoys me, sometimes I speak up and sometimes I simply walk away. It depends entirely on the situation at hand. I don't find it difficult to avoid the things I know I dislike, though. Or to, at least, pay them no mind when I do come across them. I don't really need to use mute, or give them more thought than I think they deserve. I don't sit and wish they were banned, or continue mulling over whatever it was that happened. It is what it is.

But that's just me.

Very good points Tari and I wish more people would handle things the way you do. But what do we do when these different people come together in the Forum? There is no mute button here and the Dragons, Trolls, and Vampires (virtual and metaphors) have just as much right to be here as the rest of us. How do we react when we can't walk away?

ok, you pushed me to out the Troll in me. (and this is also test to see if the Forums still work a bit)

In-world I mute spammers, sometimes I AR when it's offensive or commercial spam. For the rest, I avoid people that annoy me.

I have not met anyone that had an opinion I found myself uncomfortable with, yet (racists for instance). Doesn't mean I agree with their opinion or lifestyle.

There are corners in SL that people do not understand and think the worst of it. I know those corners and found valuable friends there, real people with rich emotions.

I am no judge, however I have observed outside World (forums and feed) crowd behaviour that *is* annoying, griefing, public trashing. And the individuals the thrive on that, and the individuals that have no idea what harm they can cause.

In-world chat is volatile, it's gone when spoken and has less impact on me. In forums and the feed the words remain and leave a permanent mark.

In RL avoiding is not easy and there is no Mute button. It's way more complicated as SL which gives much more freedom. I once had to AR in RL and that ain't no fun.

Hi Keli!  My SL is and extension of my RL.  What you see is what you get if you dig.  I Don't like banning or muting, but sometime I have to.  But they all come off the list once a year on May the 3rd, to see if they will behave.  HEHEH!  Everyone deserves a second chance!

Peace!

Keli Kyrie wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

But that's just me.

Very good points Tari and I wish more people would handle things the way you do. But what do we do when these different people come together in the Forum? There is no mute button here and the Dragons, Trolls, and Vampires (virtual and metaphors) have just as much right to be here as the rest of us. How do we react when we can't walk away?

You can walk away, you can always walk away. You don't have to react to everything and the thought process that drives people to that conclusion is one of the very things I avoid like the plague. It's also something I don't fully understand. Why do you feel you have to do(or say, or deal, whatever) anything at all? Even acknolwedging they exist is likely giving them more thought than they probably deserve at that time-if they truly are attempting to "ruin" an experience for others. That's a general you, of course.

I just don't see any real reason to worry about it, at all. Everyone has every right to be here and provided we stick within the rules we're given, we all have a right to say and do as we please(here being inworld, forums and such). There are lots of things people say, and do, that others are going to dislike-greatly even. How we react to someone, or something is not dependent upon that person(or thing/situation), it's dependent entirely upon us. We don't have to do anything, though. Doing nothing is just usually way better than what most choose to do.

Keli Kyrie wrote:
 the Dragons, Trolls, and Vampires (virtual and metaphors) have just as much right to be here as the rest of us. How do we react when we can't walk away?

You might consider chosing your friends more wisely ... :robotindifferent:

Keli Kyrie wrote:

. But what do we do when these different people come together in the Forum? There is no mute button here and the Dragons, Trolls, and Vampires (virtual and metaphors) have just as much right to be here as the rest of us.
How do we react when we can't walk away?

We throw a party.  

The two parties that helped shape my forum experience were: Hippiestock I, and the church 'scene' that was started by you and wonderfully captured in an interactive photo by Madelaine.  

I really want to say that all fora are alike, but it just isn't true.  SLF is my home; I rez here, chat here, and I make friends here.  This forum is unlike any other (not that I have participated in so many) so when the going gets tough I say throw a party. 

Yes!  Hippiestock!  It started out to be just that.  A big party!  I called it a Forum Dwellers party.  As time went on during the planning of the party, the name Hippiestock was coined.  And the name stuck.   I must say that Hippiestock was and is one of my greatest pleasures in SL. The church picture was also great fun!

Peace!

Vick Forcella wrote:

ok, you pushed me to out the Troll in me. (and this is also test to see if the Forums still work a bit)

In-world I mute spammers, sometimes I AR when it's offensive or commercial spam. For the rest, I avoid people that annoy me.

I have not met anyone that had an opinion I found myself uncomfortable with, yet (racists for instance). Doesn't mean I agree with their opinion or lifestyle.

There are corners in SL that people do not understand and think the worst of it. I know those corners and found valuable friends there, real people with rich emotions.

I am no judge, however I have observed outside World (forums and feed) crowd behaviour that *is* annoying, griefing, public trashing. And the individuals the thrive on that, and the individuals that have no idea what harm they can cause.

In-world chat is volatile, it's gone when spoken and has less impact on me. In forums and the feed the words remain and leave a permanent mark.

In RL avoiding is not easy and there is no Mute button. It's way more complicated as SL which gives much more freedom. I once had to AR in RL and that ain't no fun.

You seem to have a good handle on your inworld experience and I am sorry about the RL one. As for as the Feeds and the Forums go just remember all the people you can mute or just walk away from in SL have the same freedoms you have here. The first statement I read in a arguement thread can be painful but after I see what is going in there I only return to read more if I feel I can do so without getting to upset.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4379 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.