I've only been on here for about an hour and I'm ready to delete.

zephyrblaze

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sl isn't a game you can 'pick up and go' like most other games out there, it's progressive - you have to learn how to do things, i've been here 6 years now and i'm still learning how to do new things.   Most importantly you have to be willing to learn how to do said things.   But on the same plate, SL is not for everyone and not everyone is going to enjoy it :D Things won't happen over night here in this virtual realm simply because you wish it to be, it does take time and lots of it :D My only advice is to give it a few days, or a week or two, and see how you feel then, 1 hour isn't enough time to see the potential behind this platform 

sorry to hear about your experience, zephyr, but dont give up too soon. There is help out there :) Even though i havent been in SL very long, i understand that new residents used ot get sent immediately to an orientation area, but i guess they dont do that anymore. I would suggest using your search and find either Helping Haven, or NCI (New Citizens Incorporated) at Kuula. Both places should have beginner tutorials for just about everything you need to know to be comfortable with SL, and often have volunteers there who can answer questions. It does get easier with time :)

Second Life takes a long time to figure out. It has a high learning curve. That's why the Lindens decided to remove any kind of help for new users and people leave in droves. It's a pretty unique world though and it can be very rewarding if you decide to stick around.

i can imagine how you feel. I had exactly the same 8 years ago.

Not so long ago I made a new account, just to know how it is to be new in this world. And now I admire the new residents who don't walk away just after first log in. SL is not easy for a newbee but I assure you its all worthwhile.

zephyrblaze wrote:

Second Life is ridiculous. You're pretty much on your own the moment you log in like this is awful. I'm ready to give up on this
game

And the spam to join groups is really annoying me now.

There is your problem in a nutshell. SL  is not a game, not in the sense most people think of online games anyway. There is no plot, no challenges, no set goals, no rewards for completing quests, no quests. Do what you want, when you want, so long as you don't break the rules.

I am assuming you mean when you land in a store. That is normal. Kind of like the cashier asking for an email address in RL or to sign up for their discount card.

Take a few minutes, fill out your profile. Add a few picks, your likes, dislikes, interests. Take a picture of yourself and add it. If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask. What are you looking to do?

Firstly, don't think od SL as a "game" , rathe rthink of it as a visual and real-time interactive FaceBook.

Just ask yourself why you are here.and go find it! From my experience you can find anything here and someone wanting to explore the same thing.

Flying? Sailing? Fishing? Fighting? Fantasy?It really is unlimited.

Lets us know what you are looking for and anyone ehere will be happy tos hare what they have found aand places you can go to explore that. One thing is for sure- SLhas it.

I remember the day I found SL, completely by accident. I downloaded the viewer, logged in and thought "What the "blank" IS this?" I remember wandering aimlessly through other peoples homes ( didn't seem like many had security set back in the day) just completely mesmerized. I didn't really even have a clue that they actually BELONGED to anyone in particular yet. I was absolutely hooked from the first moment. 7 years later, I still love it. I do miss the wonder that I felt back then, though. I also remember the first time I erroneously wandered into a "free sex castle"...lol! :matte-motes-shocked:

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

I remember wandering aimlessly through other peoples homes ( didn't seem like many had security set back in the day)

Aha! So it was you! You turned all the harmless home owners into the needlessly paranoid aholes they are now. :smileyvery-happy:

It doesn't help that the official sl  viewer is an absolute disaster either. I was stuck using it for a month on a reconditioned laptop I got because both singularity and firestorm crashed every time i clicked "login". Fortunately firestorm released an update that worked fine.

I suspect the official viewer is the main reason noobs quit out of frustration, i'm over 4 yrs old, and using it for a month frustrated the heck out of me. :)

• 3 weeks later...

As stated by many, SL is not "a game" it is a social platform and because it is all content created by the users, it is unbelievably verstile. That being said, I don't feel it was ever designed for ease of use. I have seen some people on here for 5 years that still can't adjust their clothing to look remotely decent.

If you are somewhat computer savvy and feel you are capable of learning, this is the place for you! Stick with it and wander about for a while. Keep in the forums too, one good friend can make all the difference! If you are not computer savvy and the littlest thing confuses you when it comes to technical aspects, I would probably save the time and buy an actual game, such as Sims. SL is the most amazing place tho. The possibilities are endless!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.