The Disappearence of Pixeleen Mistral and the Alphville Herald and LL's lack of accountability

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alas and alack.

Now that nothing seems to have taken up the small, tiny void that Pixeleen Mistral and the Alphaville Herald at one time inhabited, who can hold LL to account for it's remarkably cozy legal 'flexibility' and lack of responsibility?

Doubtless, she/he/she/he has moved on to more profitable endeavours. Anyone know?  Jumpman La'm'e?  Anyone?

Note, I am not posting this in the brown-nosing.... 'ask us a question, after years of not listening and just trousering your cash....what's that, Rod? You were truly hopeless? Yeah, we know, mate...but what a laugh, eh?... lol....but maybe it's high time we did something about it? After all,.... not all of our 'residents' are dumb, right?'   shenanigans.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Alas and alack.

Now that nothing seems to have taken up the small, tiny void that Pixeleen Mistral and the Alphaville Herald at one time inhabited,
who can hold LL to account for it's remarkably cozy legal 'flexibility' and lack of responsibility?

Why don't you do it? I'm sure everyone who's seen your contributions to the forum will come to a decision on your value as a news source.

Damn,I thought they were doing another mystery murder thing in world..

The title almost totally fits the one i did..

Pixeleen was the victim in that  one and you had to find her and then solve her murder.. the hearald was in it as well for some of the clues..

hehehe

His value is that he can write good and interesting programming languages, so much so that he collaborated in bringing us the fundations of the World Wide Web, and the first succesful attempt to transfer a 3D environment thru the internet. I find that knowledge more valuable globally, than writing good English, because you can write many useless things in perfect English.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

His value is that he can write good and interesting programming languages, so much so that he collaborated in bringing us the fundations of the World Wide Web, and the first succesful attempt to transfer a 3D environment thru the internet. I find that knowledge more valuable globally, than writing good English, because you can write many useless things in perfect English.

And what has any of that to do with the crap journalism peddled by the AH?

Oh, I see; you are referring to the "many useless things in perfect English." published in that organ.

Alec - to see heros with feet of clay

I agree, nothing of value was lost if we are referring to The Alphaville Herald, that organ was a SL tabloid not intended to be taken seriously, maybe many had a chuckle reading it.

Many other tabloids can come, maybe using satire, if some SL users have the intention and creativity to bring humorous content in a regular basis.

....and?

....so?

Where is this genius developer, then? This techno titan?.....who, er, 'contributed' to the 'organ' you and Pap refer to as lacking any weight, possibly because he/she was tired of developing with his touch of genius, and felt like slumming it as a quasi-reporter with a (un)common rag, the like of which you seem to imply are two a penny?

Something tells me my post was quite probably your cue to google and read all the old Herald articles and pretend you read it back in the day? :o)

Doubtless, you can redirect the info hungry among us to more relevant 'organs'.....ooh, er...only there ain't any? Is there?

Camaro has already 'busted' Pixeleen, with his clod feet......but where, oh, where is he/she/he/she and why the attempts at hack journalism (least, according to yerself and ole Camaro)?

Hoshi the Guileless - always carefully read the OP before posting piffle...or paffle...or papple.

If we are referring to his intellectual capacity, his potential, his genius mind, then yes, Second Life has lost an immensely valuable asset, his deep knowledge could have helped the development of this world like no one else.

He is currently working in Duke University in the Office of Information Technology, hopefully, he is still here using an alt account, or he will come back and reactivate his account. he was interested in this world for a long time, maybe because of its potential and seeing his technological aim being used in such a unique form.

I could say he is one of the most intelligent users Second Life has ever had.

The Alphaville Herald was an entertaining tabloid to read, I admit that much effort was made in keeping it going, but I don't consider it vital to the development of Second Life, it is sad that it's gone, there are not many SL Magazines like it, I hope that some other creative users would bring another magazine fun to read as it was The Alphaville Herald.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Something tells me my post was quite probably your cue to google and read all the old Herald articles and pretend you read it back in the day?
:o
)

On the odd occasions over the last six or seven years when my attention has been drawn by someone to something in the AH I have found it exemplifying precisely the type of sensationalist journalism I avoid, lacking professionalism, timing and good English. Maybe you are used to this sort of thing on your side of the Atlantic, but we expect better reportage over here.

Alec - the BBC mainly, although they have recently been developing a "globally inclusive" attitude which debases their historic reputation

Well APPARENTLY, Pix has joined the Hoard of Permabanned Griefers in Second Life. Tarding about with TIZ and Intlibber.  lol. All are banned in sl so i reckon you can mention their names. Uri's been peddling SL Drama as "lessons" at the third-rate college he taches at. (JUMPY, went to Duke afterall, The Harvard of the South). Well you lie down with dogs you come up with fleas.

Oh, dear, what a re-writing of history! Mark Cahill was part of the invention of gopher, the first rudimentary Internet that merely fetched files. That got superceded by the World Wide Web and the Internet we know today. Does anybody remember the inventor of the first automobile you had to crank into motion? And no, it's not Henry Ford.  What was the name of that world Pixeleen and a few other people (one other one is in SL) were working on, that one with the big rabbit as the icon? I can't even remember.

The Herald played an important role in SL history in keeping the Lab's feet to the fire, but it jumped the shark long before it started losing its audience and stopped updating. After the Electric Sheep were done exploiting it as essentially a sales vehicle and Mark Wallace dumped it, Pixeleen allied himself with the Woodbury griefers and himself took part in active griefing missions to harass not only me, a critic of LL as well, but others, even disrupting inworld meetings with juvenile antics. Remember the "Big Six" of "Metaversal Solutions Providers?" Where are they now?

Cahill got a new job at some point and probably had to do real work and the Herald languished.

It's interesting that the Lab is borrowing two bad ideas from past attempts at virtual worlding, the "portals" idea so beloved by some geeks -- no contiguous world, no geographical versimilitude, but just jumping from one rabbit hole to the next like in Alice in Wonderland (hence the rabbit), which Mark's world (what *was* its name?) had, and the "not always on" or "sims on demand" idea that I think Kitely popularized first although it's always been a geek dream.

The impulse of Pixeleen at the Herald was spleen and jealousy that the Lindens made an effective and viable virtual world that people flocked to, based on different principles, while his world was barely functional and remained only a failed "proof of concept". Just Google the real name of the founder of the Herald, Urizenus Sklar and you'll see the sad but not surprising outcome there.

Journalism is an occupation, not a profession. It's hard work, like plumbing. Not everybody  has the luxury of a no-show or low-demand real-life job or no family responsibilities such that they can play journo even all evening let alone all day.

The Herald broke some important stories covered even in RL tech media (and I was among the reporters who broke them at the Herald). But in my view the nihilist founders couldn't part with their attachment to banal 4chan griefers and their view that this was some kind of shabby chic in virtuality. It wasn't -- it was the banality of evil.

Again I don't know what all this breathlessness is about a failed VW hacker and has been, whatever his past glory.

Can you point to some amazing new learning development he has pioneered that real educators outside of some very tiny crew of fellow ed-tech groupies have actually noted in some RL meaningful fashion?

If education is the last refuge of scoundrels, ed-tech is the last refuge of even worse charlatans.

What's funny is that in your hero-worship of Pixeleen, who could only be "one of the most intelligent users of SL" if you discount his declining years of juvenile griefing, you can't admit that an independent and critical media, even one role-playing a tabloid (which it really wasn't -- it was more in the vein of Gawker or the eXile) is really vital to the development of virtual worlds.

The problem is that if a world ceases to be intellectually interesting, it stops attracting intellectuals. Many in the SL community as you can see from the comments here find that a feature, not a bug, however. And PS griefing is not a substitute for critical discourse just like radical Occupy type violent revolution and terrorism aren't.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

That got
superceded
by the World Wide Web

My test for pretentiousness is this word. Surprise, surprise, you fail, massively.

Have you ever thought about being a journalist, or a blogger perhaps? You have the right misqualifications.

Alec - only to use difficult words that I know how to spell

Prokofy (never use a dozen cogent words when 800 random ones will suffice) Neva wrote:

rant rant rant. Possibly something about cats.

Such an abuse of internet bandwidth when you could have simply said "AH discarded me for my crazy hateful rants, then added insult to my injury by tolerating Woodbury members. I am angry and butthurt waah waah waah."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.