Is this ok?

CipherSplash

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

CipherSplash wrote:

Is it ok to get demo items at the market, in say 10 quantities for free and contiue to use it every time it expires (After 2 mins)

or is that against the rules?

Just want to know before I do it, since I don't want to be accused of anything bad.

OK?  Maybe.

Ethical?  Probably not. 

If you like the product you should buy it.  It is not right to just keep getting the demo. Demos are provided only to see if you to try the product to see if you want it..  If the demo only is supposed to only last 2 minutes you shouldn't use it multiple times.  The creator will see from their transaction history or vendor history (if it comes from a vendor) that you are getting it multiple times rather than buying it.  They could ban you from their store. Even if they don't it's unethical.

It's not explicitly against the rules, but it's not very nice, either. 

While it isn't against the rules, you could be banned from the marketplace store if/when the owner notices. Demos are demos because they're not meant for permanent use. They're just to see if you like something. If you're getting the demo over and over so you can use it for an extended period of time, obviously you like it. If you can afford it, buy it. If you can't, move on. There are nice, free items that you can use ethically. 

You wouldn't be banned from SL or anything for doing it, but you might earn a few names you may not appreciate.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

you could be banned from the marketplace store if/when the owner notices.

Not a feature of Marketplace.  No ability to ban.

The failure is really with the demo in running multiple times.  Yes, it's more work to make it run only once but that's just the way it is, if you want to protect stuff, you do it properly.

f you don't mind going through the hassle of re-buying, re-attaching or re-rezzing the next demo item every time the old one expires, I'd say: go for it. Feel no remorse. The responsibility lies fully with the creator and how they impose limitations on their demo item.

To my humble opinion, time limitation set to a demo item that's otherwise fully featured is a bad idea by the creator. Instead, good demos have slightly obnoxious 'demo' sighs on them, or features disabled.

Go ahead, buy a 1000 demos.   

My thaught on this is this. There is a dwendling amount of decent free things that are NOT demos. Used to be tons of free stuff on SL when I was new. Now mostly you find demos. When someone is new to sl they cant aford to buy anything so they rely on what they can find. NOT EVERYONE has L$ on SL.

Christin73 wrote:

My thaught on this is this. There is a dwendling amount of decent free things that are NOT demos. Used to be tons of free stuff on SL when I was new. Now mostly you find demos. When someone is new to sl they cant aford to buy anything so they rely on what they can find. NOT EVERYONE has L$ on SL.

I do have sympathy with this because like most people I started with L$0 but also realise that the expectation is "decent" and "free" and are two words that don't necessarily go together.  The amount of effort to create mesh clothing from scratch (not texture pre-created templates) is many hours of work.  You can understand why creators would want to recoup something in return for that effort.

Items that are given away are done so for various reasons but they are given by other people, it's not as if LL are sitting around creating free content to draw people in.

Bree Giffen wrote:

IMHO, the moral ambiguity of the OP's question is on the level of taking more ketchup packets than you need.

Not at all. Catsup is evil and often found with packets of mustard in that basket of deplorables next to the napkins.

If you want to talk about dill relish, then there really can't be more than you need.

CipherSplash wrote:

Is it ok to get demo items at the market, in say 10 quantities for free and contiue to use it every time it expires (After 2 mins)

Just want to know before I do it, since I don't want to be accused of anything bad.

You haven't been back to this thread, so I assume you won't be back but, in case you are, I want to comment on what entity0x wrote:-

entity0x wrote:

In the end, you know if you're cheating or not

I like that thinking. My opinion is that, if you have an inner feeling that you shouldn't be doing it, then it would be wrong for you to do it. That doesn't just apply to the specific question you asked.

Some people have said that it would be immoral, while others have said, go ahead, it's fine. It would be wrong for me to do it, because that's what I would feel inside, but that's just me. So I think that entity0x made a good comment.

Bree Giffen wrote:

IMHO, the moral ambiguity of the OP's question is on the level of taking more ketchup packets than you need.

Something most students at uni do to add to their noodles, because money can be difficult.

And something most places with ketchup understand because they were in that boat too.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Bree Giffen wrote:

Not at all. Catsup is evil and often found with packets of mustard in that basket of deplorables next to the napkins.

If you want to talk about dill relish, then there really can't be more than you need.

She said nothing about "catsup" which I do agree is evil.

But she clearly said "Ketchup," a wonderfully tastey condiment.  So tastey in fact that sometimes I will even make myself a Ketchup Sandwich.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Bree Giffen wrote:

But she clearly said "Ketchup," a wonderfully tastey condiment.  So tastey in fact that sometimes I will even make myself a Ketchup Sandwich.

Clearly there's no reason for humans to visit Mars.

Phil Deakins wrote:

CipherSplash wrote:

You haven't been back to this thread, so I assume you won't be back but, in case you are, I want to comment on what entity0x wrote:-

entity0x wrote:

In the end, you know if you're cheating or not

I like that thinking. My opinion is that, if you have an inner feeling that you shouldn't be doing it, then it would be wrong for you to do it. That doesn't just apply to the specific question you asked.

Some people have said that it would be immoral, while others have said, go ahead, it's fine. It would be wrong for me to do it, because that's what I would feel inside, but that's just me. So I think that entity0x made a good comment.

Further to this, I would suggest that when people ask "is this OK?" they often mean "I know this is not OK, but will I get into trouble?".

Perrie Juran wrote:

Bree Giffen wrote:

Would you prefer mayonnaise?

Perrie Juran wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Bree Giffen wrote:

Would you prefer mayonnaise?

Now you've given me reason to destroy Mars.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2715 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.