Could you see Second Life having a free day?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know when it comes to some people some people can't afford stuff on Second Life I know what you're gonna say get a job that's not the point of this could anyone but me see Second Life have a day where everything is free or maybe a free membership day, week, or even month perhaps? I am getting employed soon so I don't really care lol but would anyone think it would be cool if there's a day where everything on the market was free I mean think about it either way it can still get a way to get people to play Second Life wouldn't anyone else agree?

Shadowfox394 wrote:

I know when it comes to some people
some people can't afford stuff on Second Life
I know what you're gonna say get a job
. T
hat's not the point of this
C
ould anyone but me see Second Life hav
ing
a day where everything is free or maybe a free membership day, week, or even month perhaps? I am getting employed soon so I don't really care
lol
but would anyone think it would be cool if there's a day where everything on the market was free
?
I mean think about it
either way it can still get a way to get people to play Second Life
. W
ouldn't anyone else agree?

Let's see.. If LL was going to pay the merchants for the items I could go for that.. I would contact Sassy and see if she would throw me kick back if i bought her poseball a dozen times..

ETA... FIFY

I'm going to say that a "everything's free on the Marketplace" day would be worse than the same day at Walmart.

What Linden Lab would be doing is giving away other people's property for free.  That would be fatal for certain classes of SL business, especially those with fairly expensive items.  Houses, vehicles, higher end jewelry . . . and I'm not even going to think about what it would do to the full perm creators.  

In theory, a retailer has paid their supplier for the items before placing it on the shelves or has an arrangement to pay once the item is purchased by a customer.  (Yes, I know the reality can be far more complicated than that.)

Then again, based on some videos I've seen of Walmarts having big sales . . . an everything's free day there would likely result in some trampling deaths.  

Now a free week of Premium might be interesting.  A popular MMO is doing the equivalent this week, but only for people who were previously subscribers.  It would have to be without the stipend or people would register tons of accounts to take advantage.

Having a free day may attract some new people, but most will then feel entitled to have everything for free all the time and not contribute to the economy or will leave after the free period.  That is not the crowd LL needs to attract. 

Many merchants choose to give some things away for free, but it is their choice not LL's.  Since most all content is created by residents not LL, a free day isn't going to happen.

Even so called premium gifts or free Linden homes require you to pay for premium membership to get them.  You can bet the cost of these things to LL are figured into the premium fee.

SL is not a neccesity or a charity.

Back to the OP, if you are truly serious about free stuff, there is tons of it inword. https://fabfree.wordpress.com/fabfree-30-days-list/ to start with. There MM boards everywhere as are lucky chairs. I could, in about 2 hours or so, have a fab looking female avi. Male would take a litte longer as there aren't as many free things for them as there are for females. Male might take me about 4 hours. There are also some fairly decent clothes in the library from the legacy starter avis. The main thing is a skin. There are some that aren't too bad on that list to get started.

Though you have to really look, there are also some decent things, though older, at Freebie Universe.

Yes, I can totally see SL having a free day! Especially if LL just foots the bill! Buyers win because they get free marketplace items. Sellers win because LL still pays them for the products. LL wins because somehow this will retain residents or get new people to join! :smileyvery-happy: It's a win, win, win situation!

Shadowfox394 wrote:

I know when it comes to some people some people can't afford stuff on Second Life I know what you're gonna say get a job that's not the point of this could anyone but me see Second Life have a day where everything is free or maybe a free membership day, week, or even month perhaps? I am getting employed soon so I don't really care lol but would anyone think it would be cool if there's a day where everything on the market was free I mean think about it either way it can still get a way to get people to play Second Life wouldn't anyone else agree?

I totally understand the "can't afford it" thing.  When I started my business here back in 2008, I was out of work in RL too.  My budget to start the business was L$1000 and no more and from there it grew.

I know that some will jump in and say "but you can afford internet" and I get that argument too but equally, internet access is pretty much a requirement for job hunting.

I really do understand the no more disposable income argument and while L$250 is *only* $1 etc. there comes a point when your house is only a matter of a handful of months away from being lost that it all adds up.  The problem, as others have addressed, is that SL is pretty much made up of user generated content so exactly who are you asking to give their stuff away?

So, given my background and experience, yup, i'm going to say "earn it!" (sorry!)

I would have to say a very strong and resounding no to this. There are already so many generous merhcants out there who provide monthly group gifts, freebies, and take part in hunts. You can get some beautiful items for low cost or even free at times if you really take the time to look. Merchants shouldn't lose out on their income just for the sake of people wanting something for nothing.

I'm on a limited budget so I understand not having money for extra things. That being said though, the money I can put into SL I enjoy supporting merchants because that is a way I can show my support for the hard work they put into their businesses. In the past when I couldn't afford anything, I got a SL job and kept it for four years.

I feel no one is above earning something they want when it isn't a necessity. Purchasing things in SL is a want. It isn't a necessity to make your time here enjoyable.

I'm seeing this suggestion, too, as another instance of the entitlement mentality I'm seeing in SL in general. When I first started SL, if I wanted to set up an avi with only what I got in SL, including the L, since there was camping back then, it took me a month to get everything together for the avi. Now I can do it in an hour or two. There were very few hunts back then, now there are numerous hunts everyy month. Players get outraged when hunt gift cost 1L; you should see some of the IM's I've gotten. With all the free stuff, players have gotten to feel like they are entitled to free and low cost stuff.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

I'm seeing this suggestion, too, as another instance of the entitlement mentality I'm seeing in SL in general.  With all the free stuff, players have gotten to feel like they are entitled to free and low cost stuff.

I suspect it's also a lack of understanding as to how SL works, who makes what, who provides what.  Yes there's an expectation of free everything these days online and more often than not it's because they don't see an affected party. 

Linden Lab runs SL, therefore owns everything and has the capacity to give it away right?  Everyone plays for free right?  Gimme gimme too!

(and yes Drake, i'd give the proceedings to a dogs home) :P

No I could not. The items for sale are created and wholly owned properties  of SL members, not Linden Lab. You'd be literally stealing from these people if Linden Lab were to do that. You want free? Join a hunt, look for group gifts. You can create a very nice avatar off of group gifts and hunt items alone. It takes some work but you can live "free" within SL.

Question back to the original poster, Shadowfox, now that you've read the rest of the thread, were you aware that the content that you're asking to be available for free for a day, is content created by individuals just like you and I, or did you believe that it was created by Linden Lab?

I'm genuinely curious.

This has me thinking about a Free Comic Book Day sort of approach. You'd never be able to do a vendor wide sale or discount everything, but a X annual, planned marketing day to give away free quality items would go over quite well. I was fortunate to find some really good non-demo clothing items from a certain seller, and I now sing their name from the clouds. And that's really what events like Free Comic Book Day are about - getting people interested in your product.

Now mix that with some performances and other events, and I think we'd have something really interesting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.