The "New You" Contest (suggestions)

Knowl Paine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Contest is an excellent idea, I am very interested in viewing all the photos.

I think that the amount of time to enter should be increased. Voting could start after the entry deadline. 1 week to enter, 1 week of voting? Reset the votes to -0-?

I have not yet voted because I see new entries. It's moving too quickly.

I welcome positive comments and suggestions from other Residents about this Topic.

(I only reviewed the rules set forth by LL; if LL has directed Residents to communicate through channels provided by LL for this contest, I suggest that Residents with serious inquiries follow those channels. This is a general discussion.)

Edit: Link

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/New-Year-New-You-Image-Contest/con-p/newyearnewyou

And the link to the photos:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/contests/v2/contestpage/blog-id/newyearnewyou/tab/entries

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Yeah voting should not have been open until after entries were locked, and it ought to be default sorted by what's new rather than what's hot - or show more entries at a time... something to help ensure people look at them all before voting.

it will be rigged like all the rest..they already know who the winner is gonna be hehehehe

they just like to dangle that little bit of hope for the others by going through the motions and having the contest..lol

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

it will be rigged like all the rest..they already know who the winner is gonna be hehehehe

It's looking a bit rigged already, but not by LL.

Is there a prize for the winner?

yes....the first prize is LS 5000 and for nr 2 and 3 its 1000LS

I did not enter for the monies, could not care less, but for the fun and seeing what other people submit!

It is basically another popularity contest, as kudo's seem to define the winner. Oh well, I had my 35 mins of fun making the pics..hehe.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i just wanna say that i was goofing around when i said it will be rigged like all the others..

oh and that whole dangling hope thing also.. hehehehehe

Really? I am not. I am sure it is a popularity contest in the end. That's okay though. A lesson perhaps for future contests like this!

I like it, and participated - vain as I am and never miss a chance to show off - but ..yeah, suggestions as raised in order as opening voting in a later stage are useful.

Residents from all over the globe may need time to catch up. I, for one, only saw this after a day of work and already loads of images were uploaded and gotten the Kudo's.

Even Viale Linden already gave his one Kudo to a participant in this early stage. I mean.....maybe give ppl some time to make pics and get it uploaded? I feel I entered too late already!

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i just wanna say that i was goofing around when i said it will be rigged like all the others..

Really? I am not. I am sure it is a popularity contest in the end. That's okay though. A lesson perhaps for future contests like this!

I like it, and participated - vain as I am and never miss a chance to show off - but ..yeah, suggestions as raised in order as opening voting in a later stage are useful.

Residents from all over the globe may need time to catch up. I, for one, only saw this after a day of work and already loads of images were uploaded and gotten the Kudo's.

Even Viale Linden already gave his one Kudo to a participant in this early stage. I mean.....maybe give ppl some time to make pics and get it uploaded? I feel I entered too late already!

i really didn't see that section they made in the forums until i got home from work this morning..

i guess it started yesterday lol

there is really no time for build up to this thing..it's like SLAM BAM!! enter now before it's too late lol

i'm sure they are fun to be in..but it would have been nice for some build up..

half the fun is  getting ready for things like this to start..

i looked at the dates for this thing and it feels more like a one night stand  as fast as they  slammed a section in for it  the day that it started..

was it a minute before midnight when that section showed up in the forums? just so they could get the 11th in there? LOL

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i really didn't see that section they made in the forums until i got home from work this morning..

i guess it started yesterday lol

there is really no time for build up to this thing..it's like SLAM BAM!! enter now before it's too late lol

i'm sure they are fun to be in..but it would have been nice for some build up..

half the fun is  getting ready for things like this to start..

i looked at the dates for this thing and it feels more like a one night stand  as fast as they  slammed a section in for it  the day that it started..

was it a minute before midnight when that section showed up in the forums? just so they could get the 11th in there? LOL

Well indeed. I have not seen any announcement, other than that it was 'live' already and filled with submitted images (and their kudo's)  by the time I discovered it by logging in, due to my timedifference with SL time.

An announcement would have been nice, as you say: preparation for stuff like this is half the fun!

So yeah, I entered tonight (euro time) and did take the time to make proper outfits and all. Cos well, no..I was not a n00b 3 weeks ago and so my make-over needed some thoughts!

Still a fun idea, don't we all love to show off a bit? heh! I do!

Wildcat Furse wrote:

hey guys, I just left the contest (just posted a FUNcat instead) because I understand a lot of people are unhappy because Viale Linden has voted for me .... it's unfair and I know that .... I wish all the other participants much luck in the contest ... have fun!!! *meows*

I do hate to see you leave the contest.  I don't think that anyone is unhappy with you about this.  It was, um, Viale's premature, um, casting of his, um, vote.

There is a little business sense here.....the contest sponser and employees are wise to not participate.

Viale is a dolt, and really, what Knowl says in his original post is spot on. Voting shouldn't have been started until all the entries were in.  Trust LL to instigate something that potentially could cause bad feeling between residents.

I'm sorry you pulled your photo, Wildcat, and I know that you and the majority of the residents who have participated so far, have done it for the fun, like with the vanity thread, rather than the linden dollar prize.  

All vote contests in SL are drama laden. Perhaps LL will learn they need actual SL residents on staff or as consultants to help them comprehend SL.

Beyond that I won't bother. I am a vocaloid one day, a reptilian the next, a demonic clown the next, a latex goddess the next. I don't play SL as one "avatar". I play as I feel from day to day. I could post dozens of "before" pics.

I am not looking at "who" votes for who. You did not have to do that. :smileysad:

I believe that there is still time to adjust the contest. A "rolling restart"?

I will wait until the last day to cast my vote.

I will look for the Resident who displays the greatest amount of change, or refinement.

I am looking for details of self expression and examples or expressions of character.

A projection of their "inner self". :smileyhappy:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Viale is a dolt, and really, what Knowl says in his original post is spot on. Voting shouldn't have been started until all the entries were in.  Trust LL to instigate something that potentially could cause bad feeling between residents.

I'm sorry you pulled your photo, Wildcat, and I know that you and the majority of the residents who have participated so far, have done it for the fun, like with the vanity thread, rather than the linden dollar prize.  

This is why despite what he thinks, or whomever it was that thought it, the CTUG meetings should have not been canceled.  The amount of expertise that LL has cut it self off from is appalling.   I personally have over twenty years experience in retail sales and mgt and have won first prizes in both  major national and regional promotions.  But it's like talking into a vacuum here. 

It is fun Alicia, and I do believe Residents are embracing that spirit.

Kudos to the Lab for hosting the Contest!

................................................................................................................................................................................................

I'm sorry Perrie, did you say something? lol :smileyvery-happy: Just kidding :smileywink:

I agree that the meetings should continue.

Knowl Paine wrote:

It is fun
Alicia
, and I do believe Residents are embracing that spirit.

Kudos to the Lab for hosting the Contest!

................................................................................................................................................................................................

I'm sorry
Perrie
, did you say something? lol :smileyvery-happy: Just kidding :smileywink:

I agree that the meetings should continue.

i agree that it is a great fun idea. 

Wildcat Furse wrote:

hey guys, I just left the contest (just posted a FUNcat instead) because I understand a lot of people are unhappy because Viale Linden has voted for me .... it's unfair and I know that .... I wish all the other participants much luck in the contest ... have fun!!! *meows*

Aw no! I dont think anyone got unhappy over you! Tsk..get your pic back in there young lady!

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Wildcat Furse wrote:

Aw no! I dont think anyone got unhappy over you! Tsk..get your pic back in there young lady!

I agree, put that picture back there missy;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.