The "New You" Contest (suggestions)

Knowl Paine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wildcat Furse wrote:

hey guys, I just left the contest (just posted a FUNcat instead) because I understand a lot of people are unhappy because Viale Linden has voted for me .... it's unfair and I know that .... I wish all the other participants much luck in the contest ... have fun!!! *meows*

WUT! Stuff em! Who cares what the whiners think! If a linden votes for you.. well.. that's how cool you are ^^ hmm?

and I'd have to give my vote to Valerie if you pulled out. Which wouldn't be a bad thing lol.

I see your back in now, which means I don't have to go back to taking down trolls with poisened Dwarven arrows and a supple norse bow from 1/2 a mile away in Skyrim..

wait... that's awesome fun! \o/ 

Wildcat Furse wrote:

hey guys, I just left the contest (just posted a FUNcat instead) because I understand a lot of people are unhappy because Viale Linden has voted for me .... it's unfair and I know that .... I wish all the other participants much luck in the contest ... have fun!!! *meows*

Wildcat get back in there..who cares if people get dramatic over who votes for who..there shouldn't be a timeline on when anyone votes..

other people i'm sure have voted before that linden did..if they are not bitching about those people voting at the time they did then they shouldn't be worried about a linden voting when they do..

don't let anyone make you feel you have to leave something that you know you have fun in doing..

F'em if they can't handle the party!!

you have amazing pictures ..i know because i have seen tons of them..they are some of the most amazing shots of second life and the avatars and all kinds of places..if people are crying over that ..then they are not really looking at the image that was voted for..

So F'em and get back in there and show your stuff like you do in the vanity thread..i would vote for any of those pics in that thread..especially the water ones..like the shower one you had..

so i'm sure you had something truely worth the votes up there..don't cut yourself off from showin your style *winks*

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Wildcat Furse wrote:

Wildcat get back in there..who cares if people get dramatic over who votes for who..there shouldn't be a timeline on when anyone votes..

other people i'm sure have voted before that linden did..if they are not bitching about those people voting at the time they did then they shouldn't be worried about a linden voting when they do..

don't let anyone make you feel you have to leave something that you know you have fun in doing..

you have amazing pictures ..i know because i have seen tons of them..they are some of the most amazing shots of second life and the avatars and all kinds of places..if people are crying over that ..then they are not really looking at the image that was voted for..

So F'em and get back in there and show your stuff like you do in the vanity thread..i would vote for any of those pics in that thread..especially the water ones..like the shower one you had..

so i'm sure you had something truely worth the votes up there..don't cut yourself off from showin your style *winks*

I agree with everything you said, I too love Wildcats pics and I am happy she put hers back in the contest today!!!!

However, to be honest..the bolded part I dont agree on. Yes, ppl can vote now so they do. I dont mind.

I do mind that a Linden employee voted. In the contest rules it is very clearly stated that in case of a TIE, Linden Lab decides who the winner is. Therefore....Linden's cannot vote. They are also excluded from participation for that same reason.

I suppose/hope it was a mistake in a moment of enthusiasm, it is most certainly nothing Wildcat could prevent from happening...Her pics rock!

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Wildcat Furse wrote:

I agree with everything you said, I too love Wildcats pics and I am happy she put hers back in the contest today!!!!

However, to be honest..the bolded part I dont agree on. Yes, ppl can vote now so they do. I dont mind.

I do mind that a Linden employee voted. In the contest rules it is very clearly stated that in case of a TIE, Linden Lab decides who the winner is. Therefore....Linden's cannot vote. They are also excluded from participation for that same reason.

I suppose/hope it was a mistake in a moment of enthusiasm, it is most certainly nothing Wildcat could prevent from happening...Her pics rock!

i don't know any of the rules or have even seen past the part where it is posted up in the section in the forums..

i just posted my opinon on it..

and if people are giving wildcat a problem because of what a linden did..then i still say F "em LOL

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Wildcat Furse wrote:

i don't know any of the rules or have even seen past the part where it is posted up in the section in the forums..

i just posted my opinon on it..

and if people are giving wildcat a problem because of what a linden did..then i still say F "em LOL

I sure hope no one has given Wildcat a hard time over this.  In general it was a bad idea for a Linden to be voting in this contest, but even more so in one that Linden Lab's vote could be the tie breaker.  Especially where there is financial gain involved. 

"By submitting an entry, entrant grants Linden Lab a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to use his/her name, avatar, voice, and likeness, and any materials submitted by entrant to Linden Lab, in connection with this contest, and entrants waive any and all claims and/or rights to receive any royalties or other compensation for the Linden Lab's use thereof, unless prohibited by law. Winners may be required to complete, sign, notarize and return an affidavit of eligibility/liability release and a publicity release, which must be returned, properly executed, within five (5) days of issuance of prize notification."

-------------------------------------------------------------

I had thought about entering until I saw this nonsense.

Why is it that all human joy must be smothered in dandruff from grey, faceless lawyers?

I may post an photo for fun.

LL already has most of my information, a winner is not obliged to complete the process.

I suspect that the reason for the terms is to protect the interest and potential marketability for the possible exceedingly remarkable photo entry. 

Voting is an acceptable and appreciated form of participation.

Edit: I would like to add that at the time of edit: It appears that Residents are not viewing all of the available photo pages. The viewing order could be rotated.

I'm not usually big on entering contests such as this, but I think, in this case, it would have been fun... if only just to show off a bit... lol.  Unfortunately, I only just noticed this contest, having been sick for the last few days, and seeing that it's completely screwed up from the start, I won't be participating.

Knowl has some very good points, to which I would like to add a few...

This should have been announced way ahead of time, that way a buzz could have been started about it... more people would have known to enter it when the time came, entrants would have been able to get their stuff together to take their pics in plenty enough time and more people would have know about it making more of them interested enough to cast their votes.

It's quite simple...

1. Announce it a few weeks ahead of the starting date.
  2. Open it up to entries on the starting date and give people a week or so to get their entries in.
  3. Close entry on the given date and open the voting.
  4. Close voting at the end of a specified time, say a few weeks.
  5. Announce the winners.

It's not rocket science.

I also have an issue with kudos being used as votes.  Now, I don't personally pay much attention to the kudos system, but I was under the impression that kudos were meant to be given to someone in appreciation of their contribution to the forum.  Getting voted on in a contest is not what I'd consider a reasonable excuse to garner kudos.  It just seems counter intuitive to what kudos are actually meant to represent, if I understand correctly.

Plus, I believe the votes should be cast anonymously.  Say you've got a friend entered in the contest but you honestly believe someone else deserves your vote more.  I would think most people would be unduly influenced to just go ahead and vote for their friend instead of risking hurting their feelings, whether that's wrong or right.  Anonymity would solve that issue and maybe it wouldn't be as much a popularity contest as it probably would be anyway.

...Dres

Lexie Linden wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!  We will keep the suggestions in this thread in mind for the next contest!  Good points! 

I'm sure LL must be very pleased at just how many newly-registered users have appeared on the forums to support their friends (and alts :matte-motes-wink:)  (never to be seen again?)

What a success this contest is proving to be.  May the best man/woman/child/furry/alien/any-other-category-I-may-have-missed win. :matte-motes-smile::matte-motes-smile::matte-motes-smile:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I'm not usually big on entering contests such as this, but I think, in this case, it would have been fun... if only just to show off a bit... lol.  Unfortunately, I only just noticed this contest, having been sick for the last few days, and seeing that it's completely screwed up from the start, I won't be participating.

Knowl has some very good points, to which I would like to add a few...

This should have been announced way ahead of time, that way a buzz could have been started about it... more people would have known to enter it when the time came, entrants would have been able to get their stuff together to take their pics in plenty enough time and more people would have know about it making more of them interested enough to cast their votes.

It's quite simple...
  1. Announce it a few weeks ahead of the starting date.
  2. Open it up to entries on the starting date and give people a week or so to get their entries in.
  3. Close entry on the given date and open the voting.
  4. Close voting at the end of a specified time, say a few weeks.
  5. Announce the winners.

It's not rocket science.

Yes!  This exactly!   When I began looking at the entries I hadn't read the info about it yet, and didn't realize it was still going on,  I figured it was over as I was seeing the votes cast already.  

Marigold Devin wrote:

Lexie Linden wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!  We will keep the suggestions in this thread in mind for the next contest!  Good points! 

I'm sure LL must be very pleased at just how
many newly-registered users have appeared on the forums
to support their friends (and alts :matte-motes-wink:)  (never to be seen again?)

LOL. Yeah that.

But that is what happens when you let community votes rule - specially when Linden Dollars are involved, I guess it is part of SL in general in (popularity) contests like this and I have accepted this a long time ago. I consider it a way of looking at other people's avatars and what they did to improve it to their liking.

So many styles, tastes and ways of expressing themselves!

Deltango Vale wrote:

"By submitting an entry, entrant grants Linden Lab a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to use his/her name, avatar, voice, and likeness, and any materials submitted by entrant to Linden Lab, in connection with this contest, and entrants waive any and all claims and/or rights to receive any royalties or other compensation for the Linden Lab's use thereof, unless prohibited by law. Winners may be required to complete, sign, notarize and return an affidavit of eligibility/liability release and a publicity release, which must be returned, properly executed, within five (5) days of issuance of prize notification."

-------------------------------------------------------------

I had thought about entering until I saw this nonsense.

Why is it that all human joy must be smothered in dandruff from grey, faceless lawyers?

I seriously do not see a problem with these rules.

I was never a big fan of the Green Acres show. I suspect that the show was an indoctorination and application of cognitive dissonance by means of tacit acceptance. 

I watched for 8 minutes and 12 seconds. Poor Mr. Douglas, he is surrounded by deceitful morons.

Knowl Paine wrote:

I was never a big fan of the Green Acres show. I suspect that the show was an indoctorination and application of cognitive dissonance by means of tacit acceptance. 

I watched for 8 minutes and 12 seconds. Poor Mr. Douglas, he is surrounded by deceitful morons.

Green Acres was definitely built on being rediculous in the footsteps of The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction.

Pat **bleep**'s acting as Mr. Haney still is par excellent.  Probably the best developed character in the series.  He is the consummate salesman / wheeler dealer.

eta.....laughing my ___ off now.  the filters caught Pat B U T Trams name!

i love green acres and andy griffin and the beverly hillbillies.. they had really good writers.. beverly hillbillies kind of the same thing..them moving to a world they were not a custom to.. green acres he was just wanting to get like a famer and the beverly hillbillies their values stayed the same.. i think they are great shows..and any griffith..well thats just every day life with nobody going anywhere and fine with where they are.. i love ron howards little brother..the one with the peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches and always wanting to share lol that and barney firing off his gun on accident and andy just holding out his have to get the gun back because barney went past the rules of having it lol i don't try to anaylize them so much..they are just fun shows that i can watch again and again hehehe mostly as true as the brady bunch..lol good stuff to get your mind off of reality for awhile hehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.