Marketplace and Mesh

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not sure where to put this, but I hope some of the merchants go to office meetings with LL or have some other way to contact LL.

If I search for Mesh on the marketplace, I get too many returns that is not mesh at all, but sculpted prims. I am not sure what can be done with those who abuse the key words, but I think both LL and you merchants are loosing money on this. I am not so patient, and I am not happy when I have to go through page after page of irrelevant items. Me unhappy = not in the mood to spend money. 

The Marketplace should have a mesh section, for all items with 100% mesh or partial mesh.  Now that Phoenix is updated so Phoenix users can see mesh, it is no reason to hold back anymore. Give us mesh and let us find it easy. 

If we have a separate category for mesh, then the Mesh category would need all the same sub categories that exist on the current marketplace. We couldn't just have one category called 'Mesh' for all mesh products, a year from now there will be many thousands of mesh items, it would become a mess very quickly as more and more mesh content is added. LL would need to double the amount of categories they currently have or effectively create a new marketplace just for mesh. I can't see either of these things happening.

I think a filter as others suggested is the only way to go.

I think some of you are nailing how this issue needs to be resolved in MP.

Since the term "MESH" has several legit meanings - as many of you have provided examples - then no listing should be flagged because a listing title or keywords has the word "mesh".  Unless of course the listing is explicitely stating in the title or keywords that indicates "this is a mesh model" and its not.

If customers are not in the fad of searching for anything MESH MODEL to buy, then there would have to be either a complely new unique word to describe a mesh model or the listing template would have to have a category that can filter out items with a mesh object in it.

My concern about LL chasing this need is that its only a FAD.  Right now there are some customers that are amazed by the new technology of mesh but will this special filter be that important in the future?  Do we need a filter that allows customers of MP to search for anything SCULPTY?  or anything TEXTURE? or anything PRIM ONLY?  No.

A customer is looking for something like a HOUSE or CLOTHING or LANDSCAPE and if it uses a mesh or a sculpty is just a specification of what kind of house.

I dont think we should cater to customers with a Fad love of mesh and promote / convince LL to once again distract them from fixing more important MP weaknesses and limits.

In two years from now when Mesh is a main stream technology... no one will be looking for anything MESH.

It's a good question, there does need to be a Mesh category for sure.

As far as legitimate uses of the term, to say Mesh applies to Sculpties is to be a little disingenuous and as you can see, there is no shortage of disingenuous Merchants. :)

So, Linden Lab, do better to categorize your Marketplace so people who want to purchase products don't have to become overwhelmed with an extreme amount of unrelated results. 

I have found that there are a handful of items that come up legitimately even though they are not "Mesh" as in the 3d models but "mesh" as the item is mesh the fabric type, and that is fine, those don't make me mad. What does make me mad is the full perm sculpts merchants who use the keyword "mesh" because they know too well that this keyword is very popular at the moment. It is very frustrating when you are looking for mesh items and keep seeing sculpted items that are using the keyword when they shouldn't. Those merchants have no shame and don't care that consumers get frustrated. I have never been in favor of the flagging system but this is one case where I believe those merchants using mesh in their keywords to get in on a popular search category should be flagged. 

By the way regarding the "Mesh" checkbox that was suggested, there is one already. When you create a listing you are now asked whether the item is 100% Mesh or contains Mesh objects. 

You are right I just checked it is not searchable. Well It is but not the way we would want it to work. If you search for "100% Mesh" you will get results of only those items that have 100% Mesh selected. 

EDIT: I was wrong, you also get "Partial Mesh" Items. Hmm LL really need to pull their head out of their..... And sort this thing out. Why ask if an item is 100% Mesh if it will not sort items accordingly?

I was under the impression that a 3D mesh was just a more elaborate jazzy kind of sculpty, but then I'm not a tech head and I am a self confessed proud philistine . So it would never even cross my mind to snitch on a sculpty merchant using the word mesh.To me it is a legitimate use but I'm ready to be corrected.

For devilment I might have been inclined to snitch on '3d mesh makers' for eploiting the wrong use of the English lanquage but alas the IT world has a shameful; record of stealing words and changing their meanings because they were too darned lazy to come up with their own unique definitions.

Look up the original meaning of the word 'default' for example.

Me I'll continue to go by the good old standard definition mainly....

Mesh "Material made of a network of wire or thread: "mesh for fishing nets"

Indeed after looking through a number of online dictionaries there is not one that I found that included a definition relating to 3D computer mesh.

I feel Toy has hit the nail on the head. Give it a year and y'all will  hardly remember this particular storm in the tea cup

^L^

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

If customers are not in the fad of searching for anything MESH MODEL to buy, then there would have to be either a complely new unique word to describe a mesh model or the listing template would have to have a category that can filter out items with a mesh object in it.

No, it's simple!

Merchants can enter Mesh or Partial Mesh, Copy, Mod, Transfer

Customers can search ONLY on Copy, Mod, Transfer

WHERE ARE THE CHECKBOXES TO FILTER ON "MESH" "PARTIAL MESH"?

Actually I have no clue in which category I should list my meshes. They are full perms products that builders and creators can use to make their own objects.

So the main category is Building Components. But then in building components I have no fitting subcategory. I can put them in sculpted prims, where I can split up further in one of the subcategories. So for examle my mesh glasses ended up in Building Components -> Sculpted Prims -> Avatar Accessories (but hey, they are no sculpted prims).
The other choice is to put it in Building Components -> Other building components, where are no further subcategories (so it all will soon turn out te become one big cluthered pile of all kind of mesh objects).

I tend to choose for the sculpted prims subcategories, waiting to see if items are getting flagged for not being original sculpties.

Why not simply link to Turbosquid and the like, he he? And honestly, a "mesh" can be everything, there is "meshed" stuff en masse, which is specified by mesh as mesh, not as the weird nerd description of a 3D object. At least half of the search results, if not more, are related to the non-geek, RL meaning of this word. "Sculpted Prims" or "sculpty" was at least somehow descriptive for a format, but "Mesh"??? Truly the symptom of nerds making nerd stuff for nerds talking with nerds.

Just call it what it is: 3D Object Imports.

Vivienne Schell wrote:

Why not simply link to Turbosquid and the like, he he? And honestly, a "mesh" can be everything, there is "meshed" stuff en masse, which is specified by mesh as mesh, not as the weird nerd description of a 3D object. At least half of the search results, if not more, are related to the non-geek, RL meaning of this word. "Sculpted Prims" or "sculpty" was at least somehow descriptive for a format, but "Mesh"??? Truly the symptom of nerds making nerd stuff for nerds talking with nerds.

Just call it what it is: 3D Object Imports.

A primitive, is a "3d nerd" word. So, you want us to use nerd words when you like them and not when you don't like them. Plus, "Sculpted prim" would not be an accurate description at all. A Primitive is 1 of the varieties of standard 3d shapes. A mesh can be made with primitives, but that would not be the main purpose of making a mesh, as you can do that inworld.

If you search for mesh, way more than half are specifically related to Mesh objects, or merchants trying to fool people into thinking their sculpties are mesh. Why you think there are all these mesh items, not related to 3d mesh, I have no idea. The evidence is there for any1 to see. The problem is that mesh is 1 of the 4 items you can actually upload, yet it does not have it's own category. This makes absolutely no sense, as why did they even add the mesh check box if there is not going to be anyway to sort them.

3d has other meanings too. Again, just as it has in the past and failed, the media industry is using 3d to relate to 3d movies and filming. Unless there are holographic things actually flying out of my TV, the main stream media should really stop promoting this 3d BS, and companies should stop waisting their money. 3d filming is neat and nifty, but that is about it. Beyond the initial coolness, it's annoying more than anything else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.