Caution people begging on sl!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so what has came to mind today is people have been asking for cash coz "its christmas" Do not give them L$ hold on to your L$ its begging its against the tos

do not hand out your L$ its an "abuse of xmas" from the person requesting the L$, i want everyone to know about this.

and everyone to block the people or tell them straight your not a bank we work hard for our L$ even upload it so do not allow this  scam to evolve for next year

Many Thanks

As far as I'm aware, it is not against ToS to give your Lindens to anyone, nor is it neccessarily against ToS to ask others for $L. If you consider it either harassment or spam, it becomes against the ToS, but that's really left up to personal interpretation.

Begging is just rude and annoying. But it's up to individual people whether or not they choose to give their $L to beggers. Beggers will use any excuse to guilt others into giving them $L, including "abusing" the holidays. It's nothing new. Ignore, mute, AR if you feel so inclined, and move on.

Kuregi Mistwood wrote:

Ok so what has came to mind today is people have been asking for cash coz "its christmas" Do not give them L$ hold on to your L$

They are complete strangers and asking for L$ do not hand out your L$ as its against the terms of service be aware of this

"abuse of xmas" i want everyone to know

and everyone to block the person we work hard for our L$ even upload it so do not allow this  scam to evolve for next year

Many Thanks

toss me some TOS section where it says i can't..then i won't..otherwise i must feed my adiction of giving Alms to the poor..

ALMS for the poor!!!

we now go live to ALMs for the poor aid concert somewhere in cyber space..

also L$ can be cashed into real cash  so i thought knock it on the head  quickly and let you all be aware of it thats all what if someone abused that ? L$ asking thing  same person asking for more and more to every different person and everyone gave to them hmm? Could make a lot of cash that way hmm?

Now explain that

Now lets press the issue whats your views should begging be allowed?  Your view

I think what you're trying to say is that it's an abuse of people's Xmas 'good will', not that it's an abuse of Xmas itself.  Personally, i have zero good will at Xmas -- far less than at any other time of the year -- so consider me immune.

And, no, i don't think anyone's going to get RL rich from begging in SL.  That's preposterous.

beggars are just plain annoying i never give them money because really do they need it, i think not. they've probably sent the same message to every one else in the store and one fool parted with their money. if i get a begging message these days i'm quite inclined to pass the beggar a copy of a hud i use on occasion that lets you earn money from travelling 

Claireschen Hesten wrote:

beggars are just plain annoying i never give them money because really do they need it, i think not. they've probably sent the same message to every one else in the store and one fool parted with their money. if i get a begging message these days i'm quite inclined to pass the beggar a copy of a hud i use on occasion that lets you earn money from travelling 

i like the ones that get in a group and ask to borrow 100L$ and they will pay you back in a couple of days..

i actually find it interesting the different things people will try to get money from others..

some get real creative..the one thing they all have in common is how obvious they are hehehehe

Kuregi Mistwood wrote:

Important: One thing you shouldn't do for Linden dollars is beg for them. Unsolicited requests for L$ are considered rude and are not appreciated.

source:

that is not from the TOS..

your intentions are good but you are giving out misinformation about the rules..

I never give money to beggers because SL is not a necessity in life.  For most beggers its just entertainment.  If they want $L they can get them the same way the rest of us do by buying them or earning them. Begging is annoying and shows no class.

If  you are approached by a begger and feel the need to give in the holiday spirit, give the money to a RL legit charity that address REAL needs.  There are plenty of them in SL that will gladly accept your $L no matter the amount.  Giving them to a begger only encourages more begging and fosters a sense of entitlement.  You can tell the begger that is what you are doing and suggest that if they have a RL legitimate need, they go apply to a charity for help.

Kuregi Mistwood wrote:

also L$ can be cashed into real cash  so i thought knock it on the head  quickly and let you all be aware of it thats all what if someone abused that ? L$ asking thing  same person asking for more and more to every different person and everyone gave to them hmm? Could make a lot of cash that way hmm?

Now explain that

Now lets press the issue whats your views should begging be allowed?  Your view

thanks for the warning, I guess. it's been going on since, well, for ever, you must be new.

sometimes I give beggars money, sometimes I don't - just like in RL, I guess. i'm personally not inclined to want to add any more rules to SL than we already have, tho. begging in sl will get you booted from most venues so I'm pretty sure the problem polices itself eventually.

No Orca they don't need your money, though not veryone is paying for their own computer, internetz and/or home (if that's what you'd call it in some cases), they WANT your money.

It's entirely up to you whether you give them L. Tell them to go forth etc., set them aflame with the particle fire from hell, or just suck through your teeth a bit. Try not to forget though, that some of these new guys will have been told to beg for Lindens by older members who do this kinda stuff *for a laugh*.

I give them the benefit of the doubt and question them. I've given L to some and told others to sling their greedy hooks. 

It's really hard to assign a *type* to anyone in SL. It's just too diverse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.