Rites Of Passage

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In another thread I was reminded of learning how to tie my shoes when I was a child.  I have a memory of the first time I successfully did it and for me how as a child it was a big event, a mile stone.  I even have a memory of getting home from day camp and bragging to my parents how I had 'tied my own laces.'

Which brings me to the topic at hand, what for you were some rites of passage in SL?  It could be anything from learning how to walk to how to change your hair or terra forming.  Things that perhaps gave you a sense of accomplishment or of having 'arrived.'

when someone took me to a place to get free clothes.

when i discovered how to get lindens, it was camping in a bench on Money Island.

when i find out how to edit my objects.

when i joined General Discussions, i discovered a wealth of information and interesting personalitites.

when i got my own place. i rented a skybox for me and my partner at that time, where we could furnish it as we wish and invite friends.

Now that's an interesting question, and I used to feel good about little things, because some of them weren't always obvious. Buying something the first time from a vendor was one, because clicking on it did nothing, and as a Mac user I wasn't used to right clicking on anything lol. The ability to adjust pose balls and clothing prims too I think. Discovering AOs, and how to get rid of the annoying typing anim. Many things, because SL is very complex and there is no manual. It's either find out for yourself or ask someone. And discovering SLX and it's forums.

Wow, good topic and one that was actually grew over time as I learned to build.  My first few things where terrible but I loved doing it and kept going.  Then one day I met Stroker Serpentine.  I showed him my builds and he hired me to build Bangkok and Vegas for real RL $$.  He said I was one the best talents he'd seen in a long time and even though I knew he was full of crap, it motivated me to become the builder he was telling everyone I was.

I was no where near qualified to be building for SexGen and on one day, Bacarra Rhodes came by and told Stroker I was one of the best texture artist she had seen.  I had only read about her in the first SL Book but her legend was grid wide.  Her SL Wedding was the only wedding Philip Linden had ever attended and was highlighted on CBS.  When I was standing there, getting paid for building and rubbing shoulders with two of the most famous names in SL, I had my right of passage.

I guess i should post at least one of mine.

Getting my first Skin, Hair & Shape. 

I had been In World for about a month and the group I was hanging out with gifted me the Lindens to do it.  I shopped for two days before choosing and can still remember the 'virtual applause' (comments) when I showed up in my shiny new me.  Though at the time I think what it really was is that they were getting tired of looking at my ugly assed noob ava.  Our choices at that time were not all that great.

Editing my first object - a skirt that didn't fit properly. I stretched it to fit.

Editing my first individual prim by choosing "edit linked objects" and moving the prims about.

Buying my current shape. Made me feel like me, even though the shape doesn't necessarily look like RL me.

Building my first object - a little book. I posted about it awhile back. My first from-scratch build! (with bought textures, but still, very cool).

Scripting my first object - I did this just a few days ago! Pre-written script in a premade object, but I put it there myself ^_^

Buying my first land and house and furnishings to create the look I wanted.

Taking my first decent profile picture and loading it into my profile.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:.

Scripting my first object - I did this just a few days ago! Pre-written script in a premade object, but I put it there myself
^_^

Taking my first decent profile picture and loading it into my profile.

Two biggies for me there also.  Not only scripting an object but tweaking the script to get it to do what I wanted.

And learning there was a snapshot function in the viewer.  All my earliest pictures in SL were done using Print Screen in Windows!

Great topic; takes me back.  Perrie said getting first shape and skin, but for me, it was when the light bulb went on when I suddenly understood the difference.  Also understanding that the house that was sitting on my first land that I bought, on the estate Deaf Republic didn't have to stay there it was just for show and I could remove it and put up something else.   Learning how to edit objects was a biggie too.  Most of us seem to have similar 'firsts'. 

I expect and hope to eventually have another SL first, which would be learning how some of you have larger beautiful pictures surrounding the tiny avatar pic here on the forums.  I look forward to learning how that's done.  Seriously!

One of the most significant moments that took me from being in the game and actually being a part of the game (or inworld experience) was rezzing a cube, changing its color/texture and making it physical.

I had just created something that anyone else in Second Life, whether old or new, could see, touch or move.

I sat on it and was amazed that this is what everything around me is, stuff made by other residents, other inworld players.

The actual cube didn't amaze me (well, actually, it did) but rather the realization that anything was possible. Anything. 

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

One of the most significant moments that took me from being in the game and actually being a part of the game (or inworld experience) was rezzing a cube, changing its color/texture
and making it physical.

I had just created something that anyone else in Second Life, whether old or new, could see, touch or move.

I sat on it and was amazed that this is what everything around me is, stuff made by other residents, other inworld players.

The actual cube didn't amaze me (well, actually, it did) but rather the realization that anything was possible. Anything. 

Laughing!

Reminds me of the first time I turned an object physical.

I was building a sky platform for  a friend using mega-prims.  This one was about 1024sq m around 20 by 50m if I recall.  I had rezzed it on the ground to make sure I was within parcel boundaries and then raised it to around 700 meters. 

I was looking in the edit box and saw the choices for phantom, physical etc.  Not actually understanding what physical meant I checked the box.  It just sounded like a smart thing to do. Everything went topsy turvey.

When I landed on the ground I could see my platform had crashed into the Mall on the adjacent parcel.  I quickly deleted my prim and fled the scene of the crime hoping that no Avatars had been injured or that no damage had been done to the Mall.

It was the next day before I finally worked up the courage to return to the scene of my mishap.

I had that similar feeling of "oooooooooooh" when first learning to build, and first pulling apart some freebie and finding that when changing numbers in the script, things happened right before my eyes. That feeling came back in a wonderful way years later, when flying over the Blake sea, and watching sailing ships down below, and seeing other planes and balloons in the sky, and realising that all of this was people doing things together, ie, we could all see each other, interact, and that it was really real. I cannot forget that moment, as it opened my eyes so suddenly.

Other rites for me have been-

buying a first skin that wasn't actually a system skin

throwing away all my old freebies because I realised what the difference was

being insulted in IM by some random nasty man at a ballroom once, and learning to not let that happen again

finding an actual home, and committing to being a landowner

taking the terrifying step of building a store over my land and setting things for sale (eeeep scary)

having someone buy the very first thing, and waiting in terror for days for the IM of complaint that never came

instead receiving very nice comments from wonderful customers (phew)

discovering breedables (now I am a zombieslave who doles out pats, snuggles and berries)

:D

Yes, I recall fondly editing my hair so I could make a hat fit.

Rez hair, choose edit, choose physical (has to be to move the pieces, right?), unlink, get hair just so, go out of edit to review, oh no!!

Very cool effect that I kept repeating and showing off :)

kidz, please make copies before trying this at home

Ah. Nice question.

Let’s see….

Buying my first skin and getting my first AO and moving from default waddling badly drawn cartoon to a shakily wiggling (was a freebie AO) hawt babe. Or so I thought. The fluorescent blonde flexi-hair I bought seemed so glam at the time…

Renting my first house a few weeks in. Oh, Lord, was I a happy bunny, even though it was fully furnished and had little to do with my taste. I hadn’t understood you could buy furniture and houses and place them on rented land.

Building a Japanese tea-house. My very first creation. I was sooo proud. You’d think I’d designed Versailles.

My first broken heart. Only a couple of months in, I had a “boyfriend”! Yay! Was a scum-bag! Boo! Told fibs! Oh, yes. Incredible, huh?

Thanks to Eloise and Kwant, I eventually managed to make skins and clothes. That was after two full years in SL. I’m a slow learner.

My first post to the forums. To any forums, for that matter. WoT par excellence. I’m a great believer in starting as you mean to go on.

When I was showing around my friend (who just arrived in SL) and guiding him and he was like: 'oh' and 'pf'f and 'wow' and 'I could never do that', then I realized I was still looking like a noob (with homemade clothing LOL). Suddenly there was a huge discrepancy between the look and the feel.

Randall Ahren wrote:

What about the important rites that everyone is studiously failing to mention, aka, the elephants in the room: 

1. First slex.

2. First slex done correctly.

3. First time getting caught trespassing while using their adult furniture.

4. First threesome.

I was wondering if I was going to have to be the first one to say losing my SL virginity.  But of course, that passage is bigger for some than it is for others.  :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.