How many computers did you used so far?

Six Igaly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I started SL late 2006 it was on a Dell I bought somewhere in 2000. System specifications: ABSOLUTE MINIMUM. The monitor however was an absolute maximum. 15 tons to hold a 17" screen.

firstpc.jpg

Then after some months I decided to buy  me a new computer and went out for a custom top of the bill high end computer. Overnight my SL was changed completely! After about 18 months disaster struck, literally, out of the blue lightning struck somewhere in the neighborhood. It totally destroyed my PC. So next I decided to buy a laptop. Well that was the greatest mistake ever. Not sure what went wrong but at least I was not careful enough, my SL was about just as good as it was on my old Dell, GREY and LAG and a lot of restarts. So I gave the laptop to my daughter and I bought me my first Imac (21").  And now since some months I am on a 27" Imac. (This was pure luxury, I just wanted more and better :smileyvery-happy:). I still use the 21" for my alt on occasions. So, even if I was not a premium, I never ever could tell someone it is free or even cheap to be in SL! :smileyvery-happy:

I started SL in 2006 with a brand new top of the line desktop computer, top of the line graphic card and a wide screen cutting edge flat panel HD monitor.  It ran SL great with high performance and no lag, until the CPU finally died for good all of a sudden this year.  A few months ago it was replaced with a top of the line laptop..  The monitor from the desktop still works great though and I have it, a new full keyboard and mouse hooked to the laptop when I can sit at my desk (most of the time), and have the laptop  for mobility, when I can't.  I'm very pleased with this arrangement as I get the best of both worlds. 

I admit that I go through 1 or 2 keyboards and headphones a year, LOL. But I've never regretted the money spent on buying the best computer I could find.  Not only is the performance great, but they don't go obsolete after only a year or two.  Five good years of being in SL everyday for hours on end, since I work in SL, on one CPU with the original monitor still giving me an excellent picture, proves that! 

for sl, i bought a locally made desk top tower $600 , and went to a pawn shop and picked up a keyboard and mouse.. It had 250gb harddrive, 1gb ram, and a nvidia Geforce 6100 nforce 400 graphics card. It wouldnt run sl, so i upgraded the graphics card a few months later to a 512mb card. b ut then i upgraded it again to a Geforce 9800GT 1Gyg. I would love to have top of the line stuff, but cant afford it. and i hate it when others that  like to brag about how wonderful their computer is. well, i still have the same computer 4 years later except for the graphics card an mem sticks, and it stiill works great , i added a second monitor though ( now i have 2x 22 inch flats so i can keep open 2 windows, one for working and one for SL. though i have every 18 months or so had toreplace keyboards (twice) and mice (also twice) but the tower is still the same. I also undated ram to 4GyG about 8 months ago. so to all you " i have the best in the world computer" suck on that :P

I started out with the Ab_Acus 1.  Graphics were pretty poor, but it was sturdy and I don't think it ever needed a repair

abacus.jpg

I then moved on to the Tiny Compact Home PC.  A real breakthrough, how I marvelled at the 4" monochrome monitor.  We'd never seen black or white portrayed in such clarity before.  Note the pencil and paper for IMing.  We would quickly scrawl notes down and fax them to each other.

homepc.jpg

I'm now thinking of investing in the HP Pro-Home PC Typing Station.  Check out the fancy printer and ergonomic setup.  Apparently I can double my FPS in one fell stroke with this little beast.  I'm gonna be cruisin' past you suckers as I throttle up to 5 FPS.

hp.jpg

Sy, are you certain that you are not moving too fast in upgrading? 

I am on my third computer since rezzing in 2007.  The first one was not meant for gaming and the graphics sucked.  The second one was much better but suffered an NVIDIA card disaster (a lawsuit was filed but I did not participate because Dell gave me an Alienware as a replacement).  I have had the Alienware for nearly two years now and it has had MB, both HDs and the graphics card replaced.  I hope to get a jazzy new desktop soooooooon.

Well I totally understand your addiction. Long before this PC I started SL with I learned computing on this one:

firstmac.jpg

Things went different then planned at the time and I was sentenced to..well..you know. It really felt as coming home when I finally switched back to a Mac 3 years ago. :smileyvery-happy:

for SL? exactly two in the ~7yrs I've been here... the first was custom built (in 1999) AMD Athlon slot A running 700Mhz, and it currently has 384Mb of Ram, Runs XPpro, and has the same AGP ATI 9200 AIW 256 card in it that I used when I first logged into SL.... it now sees duty as a storage server and backup machine.

late 08 I replaced it with the current machine... custom built intel q6600 (overclocked to 3.2ghz), a mere 3Gb of ram, and an nVidia GTX 280 OC. and it also runs on winXPpro, because I've been too lazy to upgrade to win7. since it's a home machine I find it's more effective to leave it 32 bit, but I'll be swapping it for the 64bit OS when I feel like making the effort to rebuild all my settings and upgrade.

Three, since 2006. The first was a self-built Shuttle (the cute small form-factor boxes) with an Athlon XP2400 and, I think, a GeForce FX5700. Probably half a gig of RAM. It ran SL surprisingly well, considering it was only midrange when I built it a couple of years earlier.

Early 2007, I ordered a custom-built machine to cope with SL, or at least, as good a machine as I could reasonably afford. An Athlon 64X2 4200+ this time, with a 7900GS card. Eat my dust! That ran pretty well for a while, and an upgrade to a 9800GT card kept it competitive. The case had a very smart front panel with circular, blue-lit, moving-needle dials like a classic car dashboard.

Early this year it began to flake out on me, and the CPU socket made it virtually impossible to upgrade by any meaningful amount. I bought a new box with a Phenom II 965 Black quad-core, more RAM and a heftier PSU. My faithful 9800GT was transplanted and the whole thing ran like greased whippet. Unfortunately, the card was not long for this world and the magic smoke got out. I had to dig the old 7900GS out as an emergency replacement. I'm still using it now, being short of money to upgrade. It does surprisingly well, grinding out around 16fps on close-to-ultra settings.

ETA: That's just for SL. Previously I'd owned a custom-built K6-II 450, a heavily modified Amiga 1200, a BBC Micro and a ZX81. I still have the Beeb amd the Amiga. I also have a PowerPC Mac Mini, which is used as an emergency back-up and sometimes to play DVDs. I hoped to run a text-only SL client on it, but couldn't find anything compatible.

this is my second one if i remember right..

the one before this one died..

it didn't wear out or anything like that..

i was making tea at the time and the water started to whistle..so i got up and started to run to the kitchen..

before i knew it i was pulled to the ground by the cord from the keyboard..at the same time that pulled my computer off the stand and it hit the ground dying on impact..i looked at my monitor and the power light was yellow..i knew it was dead ..

i just sat there in a big pause as the water still whistled and my monitor power stayed orange..then after about ten minutes i realized..

Hey now i can get a new computer!! whoo hoo!!! \o/

2 for SL, generally i have lost the count. I built my tower about 2 years ago. Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit, processor Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz 2.49GHz, 4GB Ram, NVidia GeForce GT240, HD 600GB, monitor 20'' 1280x1024. It 's in my plans to replace my graphics card with a better one. Last year i purchased also a cheap laptop (for just 580 €) with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, processor Intel® Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, 4GB Ram, NVidia GeForce GT 520M, HD 500GB, monitor 15.4'' 1366x768. With both i have more or less the same performance.

PS to my previous post:
while both my machines were near SOTA when built, like most people I can't afford the kind of 2yr suggested cycles that the industry seems to expect... so rather than falling back to something more like a mediocre 4yr lifecycle, I put money aside the entire time and build as close to top of the line as I can every 8 years, and try to upgrade minor components inbetween. cost wise this works out about the same as getting a good but not great pc every 4 years, and cheaper than getting an average pc every two.

It gives me up to average performance before I upgrade and a fairly long great to good arc of performance, while not absolutely killing my budget... of course the first time is the hardest, and I had the benefit of other peoples computers while I built up to it.

Same computer, I just keep upgrading it. Basically the only thing stock anymore is the case, the dvd drive and one of the hard drives.

I started with a stock Emachine

single core 2.0 AMD processor

2 gigs of DDR

160 gig sata drive

ATI 2600 pro video card with 256 megs of ram

windows vista

And a 19" CRT monitor

Then I upgraded the video card, OS and monitor

AMD 2.0 processor

2 gigs of ram

9800GTX+ video card with 512 megs of ram

450 watt power supply

21 inch dell wide screen lcd monitor

And the release client of windows 7

Then I upgraded the cpu and ram to 4 gigs of ram and a dual core AMD processor running at 2.8 (amd 245)

After that I went crazy and upgraded almost everything inside the computer to what it is now.

AMD 945 quad core 3.0 processor

New motherboard

PNY matched dual channel 4 gig ram set

21 inch monitor

GTS 250 pny xlr8 with 1 gig of DDR3

Intel 40 gig SSD drive

After market CPU cooler and added cooling fans

Windows 7 home edition

And an illuminated keyboard

My next step will probably be a 6 core processor and better video card if I feel it is warranted. Which it really isn't. Sl runs great the way it is to be honest.

Started on 3g dual core, 32 bit OS. We upgrade between every year or six months if we can afford to. Just got 12gb of ram which is fab. i5 to i7 next.

I need to have a word to a part time SL non resident/gf who runs multiple cpu's ;o that's correct - multiple cpus. (all i7's - more than two - yuss). (a USA game/media industry professional). I asked at our fave comp shop for the last ten years and they said.. o.0 huh? :matte-motes-agape: wut? how many:matte-motes-crying: ^^?

:smileysad:

Probably 5 upgrades since 2009 I suppose? Same tower. Befriend your cities PC parts wholesalers. That's the only reason we can afford to do what we do.

*hugs big bro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4562 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.