Is it bad to have 1 outfit....?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have many outfits, it just depends on my taste at the time when I wear something, my feminine side comes out more in virtual reality than it does in actual reality.

In total, I believe I have around 50 - 100 different selections of outfits, as in folders I've made where each contains a different outfit but with everything else I usually wear, hair, glasses, etc.

But that said, I just like being able to customize and mess around with my avatar.

YOUNG MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING ONLY WEARING ONE OUTFIT!!!! GET IN THAT SHOWER AND WASH YOURSELF OFF RIGHT NOW!

We can order you some new underwear and socks online, maybe a new tie too but if you insist on wearing that old suit let me brush it off while you get cleaned up.

AGGGGGG MEN!!!!

I think having one outfit is only bad if you're not happy about it.  If you're happy then what does it matter?

I have too many outfits.  I'll get excited about a certain style of clothing I find and think "Oh this is IT.  This is going to be my new look!"   A week later I've forgotten about it and moved on to something else.  Having the attention span of a gnat can get expensive.  

My avatar is a child so it isn't hard to buy every outfit I like (I've turned into a shop a holic) as I only really have about 7 nice outfits that I really like.  I'm currently creating an alt however which will be an adult and therefore I'm going to have to be careful not to buy everything as there is much more offered.  But yes,  I'd say that's extremely boring... especially if it's just a suit.  Maybe if you get something a bit brighter and happier it wouldn't be as big of a deal :P.

But as a side note, lot's of people which RP in a very nichy area can't find many outfits to match their character and therefore wear the same thing.  Or in a superhero setting or something - that never changes.  Just saying.  Just depends how you 'play' and what you do.

It has been said that Albert Einstein had a closet full of suits. and casual clothing All the same so he wouldn't have to waste valuable thought on deciding what he was going to wear.

I don't own a single outfit, but i DO have a distinctive personal style, and i find that it simplifies my life enormously

My chosen colours are red and black, though in formal attire some other tints creep in. The style is primarily asian. My hair is worn Up, but with one fall or plait down the back, and some curls framing the face. I always wear glasses, usually tinted, and small lenses. I only wear shoes with casual or business attire, when dressed formally, i'm always barefoot.

The benefit of having a singular style is it allows me versatility in appearance while maintaining a very recognizable character, Also, it is far more economical, as one is not purchasing every new and shiney thing one sees, One becomes selective. I've met people who arrived in SL from other platforms i used to occupy, and they have recognized me in a crowd very quickly despite my change of name and our long seperation.

The Einstein route may be the most economical in time and money, but with the rapidly changing styles, AND the increase in quality of newer clothing in SL, I don't think i could stay in one single outfit ad infinitum.

Angel.

Bad? No. Most girls would hate having such a limited wardrobe, but how many guys do you know that you never see them in anything but the same type of jeans and very similar-looking shirts? For a guy, I guess it is okay, if you have a 'look' that works for you. You don't have to be a clothes horse.

But SL makes it a lot easier and cheaper to have a huge wardrobe.

Kolby Nissondorf wrote:

Okay, so, here is my question. Is it bad to only 'own' one outfit on your avatar?

From an SL standpoint, no..not bad. You do what you want and be happy with it.

From a strictly superficial female standpoint, bad.. very very bad. Most women like it when a man can express himself in ways we're accustomed to, like through style and fashion, and visual changes add to whatever mental image we have of you. Nobody needs to be a "one trick pony" or "one hit wonder", so why be one if you don't have to?

There are days I spend so much time mixing and matching clothing that I never actually make it outside despite being in-world for three or more hours. I actually end up having to lie to myself and say that the only reason I logged in was to reconcile my inventory. Whatever that means! :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

I wish I could be satisfied with just one shirt, pair of pants, and pair of shoes!

I am always changing..infact right now i'm changing..i have this little song i sing everytime i change ..

it puts meaning into every one of my outfits..

people ask me..they ask.. Ceka why are you crying..

i respond..i just got finished changing .

On the SL Marketplace there are currently 4,854 items listed under men's apparel that are from 0$ to 10$. As a man, you currently need at least 1 t-shirt, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of socks, 1 swim trunks, 1 casual collared shirt, 1 pair of sneakers, and 1 pair of flip-flops or sandals.

why? might be needed in RL to cover most situations... but here? where you can g snorkeling in a snowsuit, and on a space walk in your underwear (look ma, no bra), why do we "need" specific clothes? not knocking it, but some people seem a lil hung up on it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.