Geography of SL, or, what is mainland, and what is it good for?

16 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Note that the water-rezzable Belli parcels also are in high demand, I think for similar reasons. Also note that there is no yellow line on Sarah's map that goes through the Belli Fantasy Theme. A one region connection to Jeoget would address this issue.

You can take the stormy passage to Fantasseria and loop around if you like, but you will be back tracking over the one region bridge to Fantasseria.  I actually recommend sailing that passage at least once.  Do it with shared environment on.  Sailing that tempest, to land in a magical island is just fun (especially if you are a fan of Shakespere).  Fantasseria is a fun place to explore, but you really need a canoe to do it right.  Motor boats and larger boats feel weird.  Sail boats wouldn't work in a swamp.

They also skipped Sansara, but that's also just a quick detour.  You can not circumnavigate Sansara by boat, though.  You need to combine swimming and running, or swimming, running, and bicycle riding.  Make it a triathlon.  I actually have most of that triathlon mapped out.  I should finish it.

Also, Newbank is skipped.  I would solve this by taking the northern river route when you hit the alpines.  Instead of sailing over the alpine tunnel, turn north at the Rum Tug light house, and turn East at Landho.  It looks like this river ends before it connects, at this zoom level, but before it connects it actually turns small.  It's easily navigable with most cruisers.  I have taken my Namaste through there before.

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

The Mainland continents in order of creation/completion:

(Linden Homes/Premium/Nascera continents ignored, because they aren't "Mainland")

1. Sansara (1 November 2002 (SL Beta) - Uncompleted)

2. Heterocera (21 March 2005 - 2 December 2005)

3. Jeogoet (20 December 2005 - 19 March 2008) 

4. Satori (21 February 2007 - 18 June 2007)

5. Nautilus (24 April 2007 - 12 November 2007). 

6. Corsica (1 August 2007 - 9 April 2008)

7. Gaeta V (14 April 2008 - 25 May 2008)

8. Gaeta I (4 June 2008 - Uncompleted)

9. Nautilus City (17 October 2008 (single day))

10. Zindra (23 January 2009 - Uncompleted)

11. Sharp/TSL Continent (22 January 2011 (as part of the main SL grid))

Quite interesting, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a  pretty good example of mainlanders' complimentary and co-operative building can be seen on the Circuit La Course road between Meewalh and Edge Walker regions

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Meewalh/108/169/24

a thing to notice is that there are a number of tiny advert network signs along the road, but shows how neighbours build round them without resorting to prim screens in most cases

this said the main thing to notice is how the residents when building do bear in mind what their neighbours have already built while also expressing their own individuality

this also along a stretch of road that has the worst LDPW hedges ever ever in all the history of hedges

ps. there are also other sections of mainland roads where this cooperative approach happens. This section of road tho highlights what happens when people are neighbourly

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Da Boom is a bit of a **** hole, and some muppet thinks its "historical status" warrents L$8000 a sqm land prices.

Well...there was a Da Boom parcel in the auctions earlier this year, and it closed at an incredibly high price for a 512 m2. I was outbid by a long shot, but the person who won the auction put the place to good use, which is nice. Someone who actually treasured the area. L$ 8000/m2 is completely absurd and won't sell, ever. They are delusional if they think it ever will. But there is clearly demand for those special, historic locations. It's a niche thing, I suppose.

I saw a 16 m2 parcel in Da Boom sell for 20,000 L$ a few days ago. That's L$ 1250/m2, yet the sale happened quite fast.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

I saw a 16 m2 parcel in Da Boom sell for 20,000 L$ a few days ago. That's L$ 1250/m2, yet the sale happened quite fast.

yup, someone trying to protect their own plot from grieffers by buying the land next to them probably. The ol microparcel extorsion trick. Another one of LL's f---k ups with the mainland to have ever allowed those. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

yup, someone trying to protect their own plot from grieffers by buying the land next to them probably. The ol microparcel extorsion trick. Another one of LL's f---k ups with the mainland to have ever allowed those. 

I agree with you that microparcel extorsion happens, and that it's very unfortunate. But this specific case that I mentioned was not a case of microparcel extorsion. The 16m2 was not in the middle of anyone's land at all, and the person who purchased it was not any of the neighboring owners. No griefing involved whatsoever. It's simply a small parcel with a lot of demand, due to the region's history. As someone who loves SL geography and history, I had my eye on it too, but did not purchase it at all because I was unwilling to spend that much on a small parcel. 

It's also worth mentioning that LL implemented rules to prevent griefing and microparcel extorsion in the TOS. If it happens, it can be reported.

In general residents are welcome to subdivide larger parcels of land that they occupy into smaller parcels. Subdivision is considered "land cutting" when a resident extensively subdivides land into smaller parcels for the purpose of further "renting" or "selling" those parcels — and it is not allowed. Other prohibited land cutting includes subdividing land in a manner that decreases the ability of other residents to enjoy their land, collaborate and/or exercise land-management controls, or in a way that constitutes harassment of another resident. Linden reserves the right to make parcel alternations as necessary to ensure residents’ enjoyment of Second Life. We want to keep Second Life beautiful too.

We therefore may, in our sole discretion, move any parcel of land that is smaller than or equal to 128 sqm where such land is interfering with the enjoyment of a significantly larger parcel of land or region.

Source: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Mainland_policies

Edited by Clem Marques

44 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

As someone who loves SL geography and history, I had my eye on it too, but did not purchase it at all because I was unwilling to spend that much on a small parcel. 

I often wonder how many people actually care about historical related parcels due to appreciating their history and how many others just want them because they are seen as prestigious. Some of those prices are absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 1

A few mainland communities worth checking out:

Seogyeoshire - a welsh town in Jeogeot comprising of approx 8 regions, and with it's own tiny railway, the Zany Zen railway:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Somdari/237/198/35

Hiraya Town - a Japanese themed village in Heterocera comprising of approx 4 regions with access to the SLRR plus also has its own monorail: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bedstraw/82/52/45

Village of Ciampi - small tuscan town and vineyard in Heterocera, about 2 regions in size:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bhima/78/159/40

Mount Campion National Forest - 3 to 4 region forest sitting atop the mountain range in Heterocera.  Access via Route 6 Mountain way (perfect for horses) or to the north via Route 3 at Highflyer:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Campion/51/73/138

Morgantown (Shark County) - a sprawling suburban centre complete with airport, municipal buildings, residential homes, parks etc. Approx 8 regions in size with access via Route 2 at Ranunculus to the north and Route 3b at Cisseps to the south.  Residential country areas extend all the way east to Engrailed region:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ranunculus/224/50/33

Massive community in Satori off Route 8, comprising of The Town of Northbridge and Enzo National Forest. Approx 11 regions in size between Route 8 and Route 8B.  There's a city centre, national parks, and a host of roleplay related areas like the incredible Swiftwater Research Center at Georgi, or the strange and unique Mystery Flesh Pit at Vigdorova.  Airfields are located at each, Delta to the east and the military Kyrmov to the west.  Plenty of parks and camping areas around too:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Furman/38/12/60

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anastasia Loxingly said:
2 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

As someone who loves SL geography and history, I had my eye on it too, but did not purchase it at all because I was unwilling to spend that much on a small parcel. 

I often wonder how many people actually care about historical related parcels due to appreciating their history and how many others just want them because they are seen as prestigious. Some of those prices are absolutely ridiculous.

I wonder about that as well.

13 hours ago, Anastasia Loxingly said:

Sort of like having a real last name instead of Resident lol. Though I guess the last few years since you could buy a new last name perhaps Residents can buy a last name? Or is it only people who already have a last name?

37 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Most historical sites are basically abandoned and forgotten (and you can seer that yourself from the traffic), very few actually care .. well, aside from the vocal #nochanges crowd.

One of my fave spots back in the day gradually dies like most things from back then. For a long time some group of people paid to keep it set up, then I think someone tried to get LL to let it stay as it was. I have no idea who is paying for it now, but it is still there. I go there on occasion but it makes me sad, so not too much. Plus nothing to do there now but explore.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Most historical sites are basically abandoned and forgotten (and you can seer that yourself from the traffic), very few actually care .. well, aside from the vocal #nochanges crowd.

To be fair, 'traffic' is a rather wonky metric. There's also the question of variation of content on the grid; just because a supermarket has 1,000 visitors every day whilst the chemist across the street only has 100 doesn't mean you should shut the chemist to open another supermarket.

There are people who do enjoy exploring the random stuff in the junkyards across the mainland and learning about the SL history. Taking away people's interest just because they aren't profitable or high-traffic is silly, it might just help actually keeping some of those folks on the grid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

One of my fave spots back in the day gradually dies like most things from back then. For a long time some group of people paid to keep it set up, then I think someone tried to get LL to let it stay as it was. I have no idea who is paying for it now, but it is still there. I go there on occasion but it makes me sad, so not too much. Plus nothing to do there now but explore.

This happened to "The Shelter" a place I absolutely loved during my first 2 years in SL and still feel nostalgic about. It got archived by LL as a historic area, so now it is permanently available. A small handful of people occasionally revive it with DJ sets and parties, but it's not the same as it used to be, and remains empty most of the time. It was a wonderful place where newcomers could go to and know that they'd be treated well.

the-shelter-isabel_003.thumb.jpg.d1bea57c6ed3a3bb248387898a8ee1ee.jpg

Picture source: https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2018/08/18/the-shelter-in-second-life-turns-14-on-20th-august-2018/

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Orwar said:
1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

To be fair, 'traffic' is a rather wonky metric. There's also the question of variation of content on the grid; just because a supermarket has 1,000 visitors every day whilst the chemist across the street only has 100 doesn't mean you should shut the chemist to open another supermarket.

There are people who do enjoy exploring the random stuff in the junkyards across the mainland and learning about the SL history. Taking away people's interest just because they aren't profitable or high-traffic is silly, it might just help actually keeping some of those folks on the grid.

I agree. Plus, it's important to consider the fact that the first 5 minutes of a visit do not count towards traffic. If someone enters a parcel, and leaves in under 5 minutes, the traffic will show as 0, despite the fact that the land had been visited. Some historic areas are small and fairly easy to see in small amounts of time. Or people might just stand elsewhere and explore around with their cameras, without actually entering the parcels. Traffic is not a foolproof way to measure a place's relevance.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

This happened to "The Shelter" a place I absolutely loved during my first 2 years in SL and still feel nostalgic about. It got archived by LL as a historic area, so now it is permanently available. A small handful of people occasionally revive it with DJ sets and parties, but it's not the same as it used to be, and remains empty most of the time. It was a wonderful place where newcomers could go to and know that they'd be treated well.

the-shelter-isabel_003.thumb.jpg.d1bea57c6ed3a3bb248387898a8ee1ee.jpg

Picture source: https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/2018/08/18/the-shelter-in-second-life-turns-14-on-20th-august-2018/

I wish there was some site or other central place where lists of interesting places could be collected. I have seen lots in this thread (thx everyone!), and have bookmarked it, but I am sure there are sooooo many others! Of course, such a list can become quickly outdated. The way around that would be for someone to actively curate it. I avoid commitments like I do the dentist, but I would almost be inclined to offer to do that. The problem is I might change my mind at some point and then it would just be a mess.

I have even thought about starting a thread with suggestions of interesting places to visit as the topic. If things went well perhaps people would keep adding to it over time. The problem is, again, info becoming outdated. Also, it likely would drop off the first page very quickly and die. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BillFletcher said:

And walking, I have on occasion walked across several mainland sims seeing what I could see and who I could meet.

I myself own a few means of locomotion -- cars, a Vespa I love, and a horse I use sometimes, but my alt Laskya sometimes walks the SLRR. It has the advantage that stuff isn't flying by you so quickly, and you're less apt to miss interesting things.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You wouldn't be insinuating that the people that argue against cleaning up the grid don't actually visit those locations, would you?!