Political Billboards on Mainland

1 minute ago, stlshayne said:

Not to get all devil's advocate, but if those signs are okay, could I not make a covid memorial and lgbt garden as a "giant F-you" to the signs? Is it a matter of who was there first in some cases? 

not on mainland, who was there first doesn't really apply. Like if you have carefully curated a place of christian worship on a mainland parcel where you hold morning services on Sunday attended by people who are not able to attend service due to RL disability, and I obtain the parcel next to you and build my Tentacles Defo Love You More than Jesus - Well I Believe For Sure Even If Others Find Tentacles To Be Creepy palace, I might be considered an a*hole by the peeps next door, but yeah really, is maniland

however, if I was the church pastor and you were my neigbour I would just build you out. Probably with a big sign which says something like: Jesus has more tentacles than you know, accept him into your pants heart and find out for yourself !

so my advice to the garden parcel owner is to build out the sign troll next door with a touch of humor. Trolls struggle with being mocked with laughter

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

This thread makes me glad I don't live on mainland. It's so confusing there!! \o/

:D That is part of the charm of it all. 

UsagyuuunFireGIF.gif.1d4a022dee6ccd7b935e8a58f446af75.gif

It is absolute chaos, with many seemingly trying to take control, some trying to make sense of it, and other reveling in the madness of it all.

• Like 1

Fascinating. Slow Friday the 13th was it?
Politics, like Disco, is Life.
I wear mine on my rainbow (with other combos available via hud) boots wherever I go.
And I hum the Internationale wherever I go. Actually its La Marseillaise just never read the lyrics it will floor you. Seriously.
Marchons!

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But i have a Palestinian flag hanging from my SLRR station platform. Don't tell me that is NOT endangered by an overly-broad interpretation of these rules.

If that is part of a public rail route I do hope, of your charity, that you will consider taking it down on a certain day next month. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

If that is part of a public rail route I do hope, of your charity, that you will consider taking it down on a certain day next month. 

Not to open up a can of worms, but this irks me enough to. Scylla said she has the flag of the nation of Palestine hanging up. Why would she need to take that down? She didn't say she has the Hamas flag hanging up; that is a different flag. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been going to churches in SL for the past few weeks.  I'm an atheist, but I keep that to myself, just because I'm not there to troll them.  I just think religion in SL is fascinating.  I'm working on a photo gallery of my explorations, I'll post it soon.

Churches in SL are extremely political, though.  I don't want to get into the details, because I don't want to be violating rules on the forums, but basically... there are a lot more christian groups in SL than there used to be, and they have more violent diction.  They are 'warriors,' who meet in, 'war rooms' and they like to talk about St Michael a lot.  They have war room meetings to discuss advocacy for various candidates and legislation.  They put out group notices to remind people to register to vote, and to vote Christian values.  There are Israel flags at almost every protestant church I've found.  Even the Greek orthodox church I found last night had an Israeli flag.  I don't think there is a liberal equivalent to this.  Liberals don't seem to organize in SL, at all.

Also, years ago, there used to be a lot more religious diversity.  There used to be more mosques, and synagogues, and hindu temples.  Now, I only found a couple of arabic roleplay sims, which seem to be more about race play than they are about Islam.  I only found one active mosque that holds daily prayer, and classes, but the classes don't fit my schedule yet.  I should try to fit them in some time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stlshayne said:

Not to open up a can of worms, but this irks me enough to. Scylla said she has the flag of the nation of Palestine hanging up. Why would she need to take that down? She didn't say she has the Hamas flag hanging up; that is a different flag. 

This really isn't the place to discuss politics, though elsewhere I'd have plenty to say about it.  I asked for one act of charity.  Leave it at that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

This really isn't the place to discuss politics, though elsewhere I'd have plenty to say about it.  I asked for one act of charity.  Leave it at that.

Then don't act like someone displaying the flag of a country is insensitive and demand the last word when someone takes issue with that. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by stlshayne
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

I have been going to churches in SL for the past few weeks.  I'm an atheist, but I keep that to myself, just because I'm not there to troll them.  I just think religion in SL is fascinating.  I'm working on a photo gallery of my explorations, I'll post it soon.

Churches in SL are extremely political, though.  I don't want to get into the details, because I don't want to be violating rules on the forums, but basically... there are a lot more christian groups in SL than there used to be, and they have more violent diction.  They are 'warriors,' who meet in, 'war rooms' and they like to talk about St Michael a lot.  They have war room meetings to discuss advocacy for various candidates and legislation.  They put out group notices to remind people to register to vote, and to vote Christian values.  There are Israel flags at almost every protestant church I've found.  Even the Greek orthodox church I found last night had an Israeli flag.  I don't think there is a liberal equivalent to this.  Liberals don't seem to organize in SL, at all.

Also, years ago, there used to be a lot more religious diversity.  There used to be more mosques, and synagogues, and hindu temples.  Now, I only found a couple of arabic roleplay sims, which seem to be more about race play than they are about Islam.  I only found one active mosque that holds daily prayer, and classes, but the classes don't fit my schedule yet.  I should try to fit them in some time.

Goodness, I've seen nothing of that 'political' activity and I'd be happy to go and talk to these people if you tell me privately where they are.  I've also explored many Christian groups and have found most of them inactive.  How did you come across the ones you saw?  As to the Israeli flag - I have no idea what the intent is there since I haven't encountered these people but flying it isn't necessarily a political act - it's a part of the Christian faith to keep them in mind, and more I can't say since I'd probably be breaking the rules.

I know where there are synagogues but I don't know how active they are.  I have no idea about the number of mosques.

I have a Tiny chapel on my home plot if you'd like to come and see it.  It's just recently been rebuilt and I haven't had time to organise anything but please do visit at any time, and I'd be glad to talk to you.

43 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Probably going to fly over most peoples heads but good point - a classic spanner in the works as it were so well done.

This whole thing, as always, is about the Excited states.

• Moles
3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Maybe we should just ask for a clarification.

@Quartz Mole and @Dyna Mole, would you be able to find a clear answer for us as to whether or not the second part of these rules apply to all advertisements, or just to networked ads / ad farms? It would be appreciated, and save a lot of typing.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

The Governance team are aware of this thread and people's desire for clarification, and I've just drawn your post to their attention.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

5 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Probably going to fly over most peoples heads but good point - a classic spanner in the works as it were so well done.

This whole thing, as always, is about the Excited states.

Thanks.  I'm not sure how I managed to get embroiled in this topic as I don't often visit the mainland these days - just lack of time.  I do like exploring though, and I plan to take the Tinies on the mainland railways before too long.  I dislike those in-your-face ads and would feel like reporting them though guiding a tour doesn't allow much reporting time. :/ 

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The signs are right next door to someones small LGBTQ garden and overlooking a covid memorial, and the entire supporting build has been constructed as a giant F YOU. I didn't mention that as being a giant ***** is not against ToS and not the point here.

How about your friend right click on each sign, select derender, and  then blacklist. That way, the signs will not be visible on your friend's viewer, thereby solving the problem.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

The Governance team are aware of this thread and people's desire for clarification, and I've just drawn your post to their attention.

Thanks Quartz,

This will be helpful to a degree but, outside of the policy in question, LL have sufficient cover to do whatever they want in any given situation by means of other elements in the ToS.

I guess the real test will be if any resident can rely on said clarification, published on this thread, when appealing an AR.

Even a cursory reading of this policy would seem to indicate a strategy that favours subjective "wiggle room" for LL, rather than a clear and comprehensive statement of intent - even in the definition of what actually constitutes an "Ad Farm".

Probably the safest route then for residents would be to try to adhere to their own understanding of the "spirit" of the guidelines, and hope their understanding matches that of their neighbours, and that of whichever Linden happens to be processing any potential AR at the time.

It'll be interesting to hear what the Governance Team have to say though, so thanks again :) 

Edited by JacksonBollock
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

Get the thread locked by expanding it into pure political discussion.

Hey, I just posted a pic of a fictional alien on the verge of eating a cat.

I don't know what you're talking about 🤷‍♂️

(Oh dear, apparently a pic of Alf was a step to far for the SL forums. Once again I'm surprised at where the community decides to draw the acceptable/unacceptable line)

Edited by JacksonBollock

• Moles

Let''s please keep references, no matter how light-hearted, to current political topics and memes out of the discussion.

This is an important topic, we all want to keep this thread open, and I don't want to have to spend a lot of time cleaning it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Quartz Mole said:

Let''s please keep references, no matter how light-hearted, to current political topics and memes out of the discussion.

This is an important topic, we all want to keep this thread open, and I don't want to have to spend a lot of time cleaning it up.

Yeah, go easy on Quartz, kids.

He doesn't have enough time to clean up his own fridge, let alone our messes.

Must I set everyone on fire?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, except for going off topic, most posts in this thread seem to be using fair debate tactics (no reference to current events intended). It's the debate that throws some of these (understandably) potentially contentious threads into a quagmire (no Family Guy reference intended).

I assume the "Giant Meteor" political signs are ok.

image.thumb.jpeg.085de47903bdf12500ddec4a9872f4bf.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

That's not correct. That applies to advertisements of ad farms or networking advertising. Neither sign is part of an ad farm or network advertising. Therefore, the signs are not forbidden.

some history/bac story

back in the day when land-cutting mainland was treated as an inworld game by quite a few players. somebody made a red For Sale sign which rotated. That sign spread all over the mainland in the landcutting heyday like malignant poppies - fields and fields of them. And can still be seen sometimes inworld

Linden then made the policies following the "In addition, to ..." clause which restricted sign look and feel: height, non-rotation, non-full bright, no spamming, no particles

i don't remember exactly now 2010? the max. number of networked parcels policy was added after the sign look and feel restriction policy was introduced

in 2008 that year's US Presidential Election campaign billboard wars started in earnest, escalating thru 2012, 2016 and 2020. In 2020 Linden added the no political signage policy