Regarding privacy and legality of products sold on Marketplace

16 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just didn't agree with a creator one time that came to the forum, over like green energy or nuclear or something like that. They banned me from their region, which is where you went for updates..

It wasn't even about their product.. It was about energy.  lol

some people just don't have good energy I guess.. hehehe

I hear ya on that some just ooze bad energy lol

• Like 3

On 8/15/2024 at 11:52 PM, V Ghost said:

[TL;DR:] THE CREATOR REMOTELY DISABLED MY PRODUCT. [...] Every time I would try to wear the object, it would self detach after a few seconds, writing a message with a lot of typos in local chat saying to contact the creator.

A male adult attachment with a kill switch. Noice. Hadn't heard of that one before.

Surely that must involve some HTTP connection to a remote server. It makes me wonder what else is being transmitted over that line - locations, timestamps, UUIDs of people nearby, what their attachments are, local chat lines.. "Big Genital is watching you."

Surely such an unexpected product feature warrants an appropriate product review on Marketplace. Key here is to remain polite, honest, objective and to the point. Marketplace moderators are keen to remove reviews with profanities, threats and off-topic accusations.

• Like 3

I suggest the OP writes a new review in the most neutral way possible, stating what happened without sounding like it is a review made up.

• If that review disappears, we know that LL is biased, or LL know something we don't.
  • If the review stands, it is not violating LL standards.
  • If LL does not demand the creator to give the money back, LL see it as a dispute between customer and creator, and does not care.
  • The best outcome for the OP would be that the creator of this genitalia product offer to give the money back if OP deletes the review. And buy another set of genitalia from a better creator.

Creators who disables the product via some malicious script is deeply concerning. I think LL should do something about it, but I doubt they will. Can LL even find out is such a kill script is used? It would be some form for quality control and LL will not waste resources on it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Creators who disables the product via some malicious script is deeply concerning. I think LL should do something about it, but I doubt they will. Can LL even find out is such a kill script is used? It would be some form for quality control and LL will not waste resources on it.

My question is: how can a creator insert a malicious script into something we already own, unless it's through an update we accept? This possibility has to be coded in from the beginning, and executed through a server if there was no update accepted. 

Edited by SandorWren

24 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

My question is: how can a creator insert a malicious script into something we already own, unless it's through an update we accept?

You don't. Every time the product 'activates', all it needs to do is send a request to a remote server to ask if it's still allowed to function and wait for the appropriate answer.

gRequestID = llHTTPRequest(MY_PRIVATE_SERVER+"?permission="+(string)llGetOwner(),[],"");

I've done it with manager HUDs, to make sure no ex-manager will mess things up.

34 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Can LL even find out is such a kill script is used?

I'm pretty sure that any Linden, when in God-mode, can read any script in any object in SL. However, I'm sure they're not going through all the scripts per surveillance, because there's simply too many of those (unless they've employed some AI as of late to do all that work for them). I imagine, to check out a script, they'd at least only do that after some complaint.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

You don't. Every time the product 'activates', all it needs to do is send a request to a remote server to ask if it's still allowed to function and wait for the appropriate answer.

gRequestID = llHTTPRequest(MY_PRIVATE_SERVER+"?permission="+(string)llGetOwner(),[],"");

I've done it with manager HUDs, to make sure no ex-manager will mess things up.

I'm pretty sure that any Linden, when in God-mode, can read any script in any object in SL. However, I'm sure they're not going through all the scripts per surveillance, because there's simply too many of those (unless they've employed some AI as of late to do all that work for them). I imagine, to check out a script, they'd at least only do that after some complaint.

This was actually my point. It has to rely on a server. But, now I have to ask "does everything that has a transferable remote rely on a server"?

Edited by SandorWren

On 8/18/2024 at 12:41 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

A male adult attachment with a kill switch. Noice. Hadn't heard of that one before.

Surely that must involve some HTTP connection to a remote server. It makes me wonder what else is being transmitted over that line - locations, timestamps, UUIDs of people nearby, what their attachments are, local chat lines.. "Big Genital is watching you."

Surely such an unexpected product feature warrants an appropriate product review on Marketplace. Key here is to remain polite, honest, objective and to the point. Marketplace moderators are keen to remove reviews with profanities, threats and off-topic accusations.

Closed-source software in general is always going to be a security issue if the software developer cannot be held accountable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2024 at 7:20 AM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

There was a certain brand of collar scripts, the owner put a bricking system in the "merchant build kits", so if a merchant/creator using those scripts in their RLV products, offended the system owner, the merchants creator ID code would be added to the brick list.

So if you, for example, had paid L$1000 for a merchant build kit, then found out it was supposed to be cheaper, and complained about being swindled, not only did your kit stop working, so did every product you'd made with that kit, and sold to end users.

This isn't a hypothetical case, it was an actual thread here on the forum some time back.

We remember this. To this day we refuse to use the rubbish from that brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2024 at 2:11 PM, SandorWren said:

This was actually my point. It has to rely on a server. But, now I have to ask "does everything that has a transferable remote rely on a server"?

Now that the experience KV store is grid-wide and doesn't require the experience to be added to the region/parcel, there are other ways of checking on script status grid-wide without using HTTP. How many new scripts are using experience KV stores for that is another matter.

Edited by Toothless Draegonne
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, my Drag Queen With A Weeny Avatar was fully mod, and you could just use the weeny part by using a full-body-except-weeny alpha. It was so customizable, the weeny part could work seamlessly with any avatar body as long as you didn't mind wearing two bodies just to have the weeny.

I'm never going to let you all forget what you lost when you all refused to buy it while it was available.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Sad 1