Featured News: Android Mobile Viewer

Arielle Popstar

21 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I can only imagine I have a potato of an Android 13 phone as the pic shows what I looked like a few minutes after logging in and getting to grips with the 'joystick'. A few moments later an avatar walked past me and they were a chalky outline. Edit: i'm using the latest version of Lara X no appliers just BoM

I liked that when it was logging me in it told me which region I was landing in, normally I log in/out of my mainland home but this time I'd logged at a shop & hop region.

I missed seeing all the notifications I normally get on login like from wearables or things I have rezzed in the local chat section. It's one of the things that reassured me that login was successful.

If I am ever back in hospital or some other reason I have to have an extended stay away from my computer I can see it being useful if only to pay my rent box. At this moment in time I don't think I'd be using in place of my regular viewer if I don't have to 

Screenshot_20240627-170539.thumb.png.22398c4c54790612a91ecf1aa2667745.png

WTH? That looks like a screenshot from Lumiya. JS.

I suppose reviews are currently disabled since it's in the Beta state. I hope that once reviews are possible and the app is fully working and functional, everyone here who enjoys SL can put their grievances aside for a moment and rate SL 5 stars. If there's a functionality missing that you absolutely wanted, give it 5 stars even though and create a jira. It won't help if SL enthusiasts are downvoting the app due to minor issues and make it less relevant for potential new users.

Edited by xDancingStarx
  • Like 3

My alts ears, hair, glasses, and fingernails rezzed in.  He wears black, so I can't tell if the clothing textures rezzed. 

I tried to move around a bit and managed to TP somewhere, but I couldn't tell which of my taps worked, so I don't know if I can go to Adult regions. 

I will try again when I have a better cell signal.

Screenshot_20240627_131946_Second Life.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JeromFranzic said:

WTH? That looks like a screenshot from Lumiya. JS.

It's been so long since i last touched Lumiya i couldn't remember if me or my mAlt look like that on there in BoM mode. Had to dig out my old phone my mAlt came up as the bake thing it uses one of the cheapo BoM Alantori bodies and i see me mainly in my system body thankfully with BoM lingerie on and none of that baked stuff

That was my only login so far with the SL mobile viewer supposedly the next login should fix it and all should appear normal from then on

On 6/27/2024 at 3:56 PM, Caitlin Tobias said:

But perhaps it's handy for answering some IM's or chat when it is urgent.

Speedlight is ideal for that. And it doesn't even need to be running to keep avatars logged in. I get notifications of IMs even when the programme is closed down. The only downside is that it only keeps an avatar logged in for 6 hours unless you pay for a gold account, or have a Premium Plus SL account, neither of which apply to me. After 6 hours an avatar needs to be logged in again.

Application is generally fine, but after 15-20 minutes I needed to cool the smartphone down and switch it off, because the budget Snapdragon/Ardeno started to lose their breaths. As an emergency login, if answering IMs via e-mails would not be enough, it's a nice option. Region/parcel management tools (access/settings) would be welcomed additions.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

My alts ears, hair, glasses, and fingernails rezzed in.  He wears black, so I can't tell if the clothing textures rezzed. 

I tried to move around a bit and managed to TP somewhere, but I couldn't tell which of my taps worked, so I don't know if I can go to Adult regions. 

I will try again when I have a better cell signal.

Screenshot_20240627_131946_Second Life.jpg

Someone posted about a bug and Bridie Linden responded, for when the Mobile viewer shows your avatar all black.

(That wasn't a bug in my previous iOS testing.)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:
On 6/27/2024 at 11:07 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Does anyone recommend a specific Android tablet? I could go buy one just for SL Mobile.

I just got a 10.1" one on Amazon for ~£70. That what I tried the mobile viewer on (a few posts up).

I see your post about an Android 13 tablet.  But what brand/model did you get, please? (An Amazon link would be helpful, I could lookup the same model on the Amazon US site.)

On 6/28/2024 at 10:19 AM, Qie Niangao said:

I had to ask about this, too, so they're not making it obvious. It requires a long touch of the object, then you get a choice of Touch or Sit. And that's a long touch.

Thank you for that Qie. I logged in to try it. The door I wanted opening did open but it was tilted and generally out of place, and couldn't get it to go back to where it should be. I managed to go through the doorway though.

I tried various objects to get the menu up for sitting but it just couldn't get the menu.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:
On 6/28/2024 at 5:19 AM, Qie Niangao said:

I had to ask about this, too, so they're not making it obvious. It requires a long touch of the object, then you get a choice of Touch or Sit. And that's a long touch.

Thank you for that Qie. I logged in to try it. The door I wanted opening did open but it was tilted and generally out of place, and couldn't get it to go back to where it should be. I managed to go through the doorway though.

I tried various objects to get the menu up for sitting but it just couldn't get the menu.

Earlier in the iOS testing, I also noticed that it was very, very picky about which items you could sit on.

The best example (and worst bug) was old builds which have multiple "sit targets".  Even though each one has its own "poseball" (when they are not hidden), it was generally impossible to sit on anything except whatever the viewer chose. I think the viewer was choosing the "primary" sit target.  I don't recall ever logging a bug for that.

Since I can't even go to my (adult region) Home currently under iOS, I'll certainly care more about that if/when I get an Android tablet that enables me to "go home" where I usually spend all my time.  OTOH, since I generally "spend all my time" scripting when in-world, and I can neither modify nor test those scripts from the Mobile viewer..not sure what I'd do at "home" except just sit anyway.

• Like 1

At some point I managed to click my avatar (or something) in such a way that it offered my profile, which was reasonably populated, but I haven't tricked it into doing it again.

Others already reported it above but it was still somehow surprising when my Basic alt could login, once a Premium subscriber "initiated" the installation.

Haven't tried any hardware tricks on my Android (15) phone yet, but my Bluetooth keyboard works fine on my old iPad for text entry; lord how I wish WASD or the arrow keys worked, though. Not surprisingly, the Apple Pencil works about as well as a finger [ETA: as does a Bluetooth mouse]. I've heard that other peripherals (trackpad I think) also work on the iPad but I don't know any details. So far I haven't gotten all that comfortable with the on-screen controller but maybe I just need even more practice. I still have problems standing after flying or sitting, which seems to involve double-clicking that controller circle but whatever I'm doing only works some of the time.

Edited by Qie Niangao

17 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I still have problems standing after flying or sitting, which seems to involve double-clicking that controller circle but whatever I'm doing only works some of the time.

So far as I remember, the fly/land is by touching the circle. I didn't remember that also being used for "standing after sitting" (I thought there was another clue on the screen for that.)  Interesting to me if it changed (or is different on Android).  I ordered an Android, so plan to try it as early as tomorrow (for comparison to the iOS and so I can GO HOME).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, discussionbot said:

Does anyone know if I can make interact with rental meters/make CasperLet payments on the mobile app? (I'm on iOS)

In my testing, there are zero dialogs that come up in the iOS app except choices to "Touch, Sit". 

So far as I know, unless they changed it, touching doesn't result in any dialogs shown in the mobile app (pay or otherwise). Yet (still).

Touching will open a door or cause objects to "do" scripted things. There's just no dialogs yet.

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Haven't tried any hardware tricks on my Android (15) phone yet, but my bluetooth keyboard works fine on my old iPad for text entry; lord how I wish WASD or the arrow keys worked, though. Not surprisingly, the Apple Pencil works about as well as a finger. I've heard that other peripherals (trackpad I think) also work on the iPad but I don't know any details. So far I haven't gotten all that comfortable with the on-screen controller but maybe I just need even more practice. I still have problems standing after flying or sitting, which seems to involve double-clicking that controller circle but whatever I'm doing only works some of the time.

Have you tried the voice to text capability on it, assuming it is available by default? Also wondering it the Android app is as far advanced as the IOS one. From the sounds of a few posts it sounds it is lagging behind because the previews from Lab blogs months ago showed a better view then what seems available for Android.

56 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Have you tried the voice to text capability on it, assuming it is available by default? Also wondering it the Android app is as far advanced as the IOS one. From the sounds of a few posts it sounds it is lagging behind because the previews from Lab blogs months ago showed a better view then what seems available for Android.

I haven't tried voice-to-text, but it's usually pretty awkward for me to speak while in-world so that's better left to some other tester. Just looking at the "Developer tools" options, there appears to be a WebRTC voice option already.

My Android phone seems to behave pretty similarly to the iPad, and for me the majority of surroundings look much like the demos. Sometimes sculpts confuse it, and animesh, and I don't think it knows about hovertext; I'm sure there are more surprises I haven't experienced yet.

• Thanks 1

My Android tablet came today so I tried the app.

Pros: Seemed to run.

Cons: Even after logging in twice, my avatar did not look quite "right" compared to the iOS mobile app. I'll give it some time in case it is a "Loading.." problem with "first times" issue (textures not loading, etc.).

Screenshot_20240630-133152~2.jpg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My Android tablet came today so I tried the app.

Pros: Seemed to run.

Cons: Even after logging in twice, my avatar did not look quite "right" compared to the iOS mobile app. I'll give it some time in case it is a "Loading.." problem with "first times" issue (textures not loading, etc.).

Screenshot_20240630-133152~2.jpg

You still look good even if your hair is a little frizzy. Just blame it on the heat and humidity. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

You still look good even if your hair is a little frizzy. Just blame it on the heat and humidity. 

I forgot that the "black parts" are probably Flexi. So, if I were to take that off it should look better. In the iOS app, the flexi hair stood "straight up" (completely different than in the Android app).  

I can try putting on a "no-flexi outfit" that I saved when trying the iOS app, and take the same picture and see how they compare between the iPad and Android tablet.

• Like 1

I just wanna say this is the best mobile SL has ever seen and i love it :'D!

On my beast gaming phone, I yeet around sims at light speed, using that SMOOTH controller style.  Agile like a cat, even in mobile. That's new. Sim crossing is smoother on mobile than in actual  SL lol!  Of course it depends on your connection speed and whether you have a normie phone or one made for such tasks :p... Oh, and infinite data plan. Oh , and premium. Yeah, R.I.P poor people.

It's too expensive, but it's definitely the best so far.

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 1