Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

Oh yeah. It'd be lying to say there's no change at all. Personally, I'm one of the ones that benefitted- I'm getting extra FPS on near identical settings. Some people will get less based on how much load their GPU is now taking.

The hyperbole is saying "It worked fine on ALM and now it's completely broken and I have to quit SL or buy a totally brand new 2000 USD computer."

It´s not completely broken, but too broken for too many.

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

The hyperbole is saying "It worked fine on ALM and now it's completely broken and I have to quit SL or buy a totally brand new 2000 USD computer."

this speaks to the quiet part of computer buying advice that maybe we should be shouting ..

If you buy a laptop for SL. You wont be able to upgrade it and it will be obsolete sooner. Buy a real PC then you can swap out one part every few years. It's easier than LEGO

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Couple of points ...

AMD card owners are struggling, specifically though who bought high end gaming laptops .. The curse of crappy drivers strikes again.

GLTF adoption is not about the branding, sheesh. If Linden deviate from GLTF spec then importing GLTF content wont work. The whole point of GLTF is to make moving work from one platform (like blender) to another (like secondlife) easy. It's a huge win for SL and wil take a lot of the secret knowledge out of making high end content. As a side effect we get a lot of new shiny .. because (and I know this might surprise some) .. what we had before PBR was garbage.

@Scylla Rhiadra A year ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ1eRTlWDYk - there is other stuff too.

Thanks for the update! 

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

this speaks to the quiet part of computer buying advice that maybe we should be shouting ..

If you buy a laptop for SL. You wont be able to upgrade it and it will be obsolete sooner. Buy a real PC then you can swap out one part every few years. It's easier than LEGO

Then good luck with exchanging a 8th gen Intel for a 12th gen Intel.

Lego. AHahahhahahaha....

1 hour ago, Vivienne Schell said:

All true, but I only encountered an comparible outcry in-world when LL came up with the first  windlight viewer, looong ago, which was a true showstopper. The result was: Linden Lab withrew the release and worked on the code until it somehow became usable, even lower end. As is now, this baby has the potential to disrupt the customer base, which is predominantlty running lower end/midrange hardware. And i  seriously do not see the target group LL goes for alternatively, not anywhere.

Time will tell.  If they see a drop in lindens processing and users logging in in the upcoming weeks they may push back and rework it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I know this conversation came up on reddit and I'll say basically the same thing here that was said over there- Anyone that's ever said "it's not a game" is to blame for people's expectations and computer buying advice being bad. Should have been telling people to buy like it's a game from day one.

Laptops are definitely a bad choice, but even if you do need to completely replace it, you can still look at second hand, refurbished, or slowly building up a desktop. There's options.

On a not unrelated matter.

@Arielle Popstar and anyone else looking for a PBR-optimized EEP that reasonably closely replicates the look of CalWL,

On the strength of Qie's recommendation, I just got Jenna Huntsman's free PBR EEP set, and the "daylight" EEP is pretty much what I suspect you're looking for. It's bright but not washed-out. Too bright for my everyday use, but still good.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/PBR-EEP-Collection-Windlights-DayNight-Cycle-Midday-Night/25626640

(I really like the night setting too.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@Arielle Popstar and anyone else looking for a PBR-optimized EEP that reasonably closely replicates the look of CalWL,

On the strength of Qie's recommendation, I just got Jenna Huntsman's free PBR EEP set, and the "daylight" EEP is pretty much what I suspect you're looking for. It's bright but not washed-out. Too bright for my everyday use, but still good.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/PBR-EEP-Collection-Windlights-DayNight-Cycle-Midday-Night/25626640

And here goes the "shared experience", finally.

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I liked the day option, but the water one in that pack made my undersea garden so dark you could hardly see a thing  :(  Still searching for the perfect water texture...has to look good on top but allow light underwater.

10 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Then good luck with exchanging a 8th gen Intel for a 12th gen Intel.

Lego. AHahahhahahaha....

Why would you jump from 8 to 12, when even a 6 or 7 will hold up for a while still?

By the time you're looking at 12, you should be all caught up on everything else, maybe even bought a mobo with the new socket while it was on sale or something.

Edited by Paul Hexem

6 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I know this conversation came up on reddit and I'll say basically the same thing here that was said over there- Anyone that's ever said "it's not a game" is to blame for people's expectations and computer buying advice being bad. Should have been telling people to buy like it's a game from day one.

Laptops are definitely a bad choice, but even if you do need to completely replace it, you can still look at second hand, refurbished, or slowly building up a desktop. There's options.

There always is an option for getting a Ferrarri. And yes, one can, with some MINOR skills, turn a Ford Fiesta into Ferrari.

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I liked the day option, but the water one in that pack made my undersea garden so dark you could hardly see a thing  :(  Still searching for the perfect water texture...has to look good on top but allow light underwater.

I haven't tried the water one, but water is so utterly borked at the moment anyway that I'm not sure anything could make it look very good. When taking photos near water (which I have been doing over the past week or two) I am using my non-PBR version of Black Dragon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Why would you jump from 8 to 12, when even a 6 or 7 will hold up for a while still?

By the time you're looking at 12, you should be all caught up on everything else, maybe even bought a mobo with the new socket while it was on sale or something.

I would not. If i had 6th or 7th gen i´d seriously think of getting a completely new machine. 8th would not require a new motherboard and still work for the upcoming years.

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I haven't tried the water one, but water is so utterly borked at the moment anyway that I'm not sure anything could make it look very good. When taking photos near water (which I have been doing over the past week or two) I am using my non-PBR version of Black Dragon.

Yeah I've got my own prim covering the water with some transparency on my own land...is helping that plastic over-reflective water problem.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thx for the reminder. I've had them since January so I guess I should try them out ;) 

• Like 1