Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I have my fps set to 60 so I don't run full bore.  No need to do that.  I hit Ultra then dialed back to the way I always run.  Draw distance, LOD, etc.  Turning them down increases my fps without any difference to the visual.  My GPU was running between 40% and 60%.    

I already posted my specs but it's a laptop with an RTX 3060.

To save your GPU and your Power Supply in the midterm run  I´d suggest to throttle FPS down to 25. That reduces the insane load a bit.

Just now, Vivienne Schell said:

To save your GPU and your Power Supply in the midterm run  I´d suggest to throttle FPS down to 25. That reduces the insane load a bit.

Nah, I'm good.  Wasn't the point to use more of the graphics available when they did all the upgrades previously?  People were always complaining that SL barely used their beefy graphics card.

• Like 5

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Nah, I'm good.  Wasn't the point to use more of the graphics available when they did all the upgrades previously?  People were always complaining that SL barely used their beefy graphics card.

Were they? Well, he ones who complained will be happy now., The other ones will have to replace their toasted machines within a few months, anyway.

Just now, Vivienne Schell said:

Were they? Well, he ones who complained will be happy now., The other ones will have to replace their toasted machines within a few months, anyway.

Well, yeah.  Back when LL and Firestorm both brought out new viewers to help with graphics, it was mentioned that these upgrades would utilize more GPU.  That was 2 years ago?  So, even before PBR, the viewers were already built for more GPU usage.  

I'll drag out my old laptop with the AMD graphics and see how she does.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Clearly it is, or we wouldn't have countless posts saying "all my friends have to leave SL because it won't run on their computers anymore".

Unless they're lying about all the people quitting? That's UNPOSSIBLE.

Every time the sky falls, there is supposedly a mass exodus from SL. Hell, it is not just an SL thing. Many people have claimed to be leaving X now that Elmo turned it into a Nazi hellscape, but yet those same people are still posting there. Will some people stop using SL over the issues they are having? Maybe. If they are motivated enough, they may try to find alternatives to keep using it. Still, the legions of people leaving is likely over-exaggerated in the heat of all of this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Clearly it is, or we wouldn't have countless posts saying "all my friends have to leave SL because it won't run on their computers anymore".

Unless they're lying about all the people quitting? That's UNPOSSIBLE.

Not all people will quit over this, but too many for LL to cope with the loss. And regarding the attraction of "new" users.....forget it. No gamer ever will use SL for gaming. And no one using Meta or any other of the thriving low spec virtual worlds will ever spend more than ten minutes in SL, due to the minimum requirements for fluent performance. LL went over the top here and they should reconsider their course.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

If they are motivated enough, they may try to find alternatives to keep using it. Still, the legions of people leaving is likely over-exaggerated in the heat of all of this.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. There's viable solutions for most people, and for the few that there aren't... Well. Technology marches on.

1 minute ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Not all people will quit over this, but too many for LL to cope with the loss.

Source?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Clearly it is,

you and that other one below you are so deep in your dislike to people who have difficulties with the current change that really nothing can be mentioned anymore.

You can just walk away from the topic you know?
You both totally forget that a majority just powers up and wants to play, and not going to explore the whole viewer menu to change, even one or two, settings.

Just stop it.

my remark on the non broken  is for the car Comparision some seem to like to bring in. It's aburd and totally irrelevant.
The new updates are to much for some machines. That's a simple fáct.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Not sure that applies to laptops. I happened to try the update on my Acer Nitro 5 that i usually use as a server but also at times doubles as a somewhat mobile device and when I managed to login with it, it got quite warm in my lap when I was using it there. I don't usually notice it getting warmer when I have the older FS running.

Whew. I'm so glad we've got this all sorted now.

1) The new viewer works great on my computer!

2) Everyone else should have listened to Paul, and if they didn't, well we don't really want them here anyway.

Crisis averted! Who wants to tell everyone in-world?

And what shall we talk about next?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you and that other one below you are so deep in your dislike to people who have difficulties with the current change that really nothing can be mentioned anymore.

I'm not sure what point you're making here.

Did you read the rest of what I wrote there?

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Just stop it.

No, you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

You both totally forget that a majority just powers up and wants to play, and not going to explore the whole viewer menu to change, even one or two, settings.

Just stop it.

my remark on the non broken  is for the car Comparision some seem to like to bring in. It's aburd and totally irrelevant.

I have absolutely no dislike for people who are upset about the change. I do take issue if someone is not even willing to take steps to try to improve it with settings changes. They managed to turn off ALM, surely they can handle adjusting some settings. There is a lot of shouting into the void on both sides. People should be empathetic to those who are impacted by this, and yes, people should at least make some effort to try to adjust things for themselves and accept help to do so. They are not mutually exclusive.

I also maintain the car metaphor is ridiculous.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

2) Everyone else should have listened to Paul, and if they didn't, well we don't really want them here anyway.

Are we cancelling the cancelling?

I think next, we should focus on enjoying Second Life!  Smell the roses, avoid the thorns. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Just stop it.

I understand what you're saying, but you're another one with the 'majority does this or that', you have no way to know that.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And yet we also have "LL has destroyed SL! All my friends are leaving and SL is ruined! LL is incompetent!". I guess we should all pack up and leave now. Will someone feed my Teegle dog?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Yes, the majority of residents don't like having to fiddle with 100's of settings at all.

...Which is why the majority of residents use the official Second Life Viewer that keeps things simple for them :D

• Haha 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Are we cancelling the cancelling?

I think next, we should focus on enjoying Second Life!  Smell the roses, avoid the thorns. 

Sort of. We've moved on from trying to assist people, to simply castigating or dismissing them as unimportant, so this thread, far from being useful, is now just toxic. I am personally cancelling it.

And yes, let's enjoy what we can, while we can.

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

I understand what you're saying, but you're another one with the 'majority does this or that', you have no way to know that.

You're right! The "vocal minority" should control everything!

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

+1