Firestorm PBR Release Is Out

7 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

The support groups are catching a lot of flak over the PBR release, even unrelated ones. I've seen a lot of anger and lashing out going around towards people that don't deserve it.

Kind of makes me realise that my experience with PBR has been a privileged one. I got quickly used to the new lighting and am adjusting them constantly anyway. Performance wise I was laughing mad, the latest Alchemy release gave me a significant performance boost.

Like I've never hit 60 FPS, not even in empty sandboxes and suddenly I'm getting 130+. I dunno what happened or how that's even possible but I ain't complaining.

Imagine if the Firestorm team had released it not long after the SL release in December. Even with issues that are being faced, it would have been far worse.

• Like 3

@Ingrid Ingersoll I use HWInfo; it's free and will tell you the temperatures of everything in your system that reports it, and a lot more too.

https://www.hwinfo.com/

Just click the green Free Download button from there.

When you run it, look at the Sensors Status windows and scroll down; it's all in there.

Edit: Annie's link mentiones HWInfo about half way down that page too.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

thanks, whats the name of the program?

You can see the gpu temp only if that's all you're concerned about in Windows task manager, performance tab then highlight the gpu, it will show it below the gpu name.

29 minutes ago, Anna Salyx said:

In what way?  I'll admit my own personal use of RLVa is probably on the lighter side of things, but I've not had any issues at all with RLVa functions through the various betas and now to live.  So we need details of what's broke that can be tested or that's just 'fear mongering', for lack of a better phrase, by some for unknown as yet reasons.  I am not saying that there is nothing broke but "broke the crap out of" is hardly a valid metric to go on.

its broken, both times i logged in my hard core relay detached because it couldnt find rlv, and my collar gave me the same error message, and yes rlv is enabled, and yes when i go back to the older version rlv is fine.

So short answer the new versioneffed up rlv

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
spelling

13 minutes ago, Modulated said:

You can see the gpu temp only if that's all you're concerned about in Windows task manager, performance tab then highlight the gpu, it will show it below the gpu name.

found it. I'm at 62 celcius. Thats pretty hot? Should I un-install this version of firestorm?

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

There have been reports that Bloatstorm Ruined-By-PBR Edition has apparently broken the crap out of it's RLVa along the way, in their rush to do a "Lick the Lindens" SLB release.

That is incredibly unfair and exactly the feedback that sucks all the joy from working on 3rd party projects, not that there is much to begin with.

If you were paying for any of this work, then sure, maybe that would be valid criticism. But you're not.

Those who make it are, both financially and with their time and energies. Time we could all spend doing other things without any of the abuse and negativity.

This is not helping anyone and makes it more likely that issues will persist longer.

I'm sorry if this hurts anyone's ability to get off.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

I currently have myself and 2 alts logged in on it while repositioning animations.  Absolutely no issues FPS 75-80.   No noise from fan (even though it's a relatively warm day here) 

I had one bugsplat crash yesterday on teleporting on the preview version before that but that is the only thing I have to add. 

Thanks to all the FS team from me 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

found it. I'm at 62 celcius. Thats pretty hot? Should I un-install this version of firestorm?

That's warm, but you might want to enable vsync in the hardware tab under preferences, this will limit fps to your monitor -unless you have a monitor with some crazy refresh rate , generally 60mhz or 75mhz for most standard ones, which is what I run at . It helps with temps.

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Modulated said:

That's warm, but you might want to enable vsync in the hardware tab under preferences, this will limit fps to your monitor -unless you have a monitor with some crazy refresh rate , generally 60mhz or 75mhz for most standard ones, which is what I run at . It helps with temps.

Thanks for your help, could you tell me which to choose from the pull-down menu? I guess it would be "on"?

image.png.b48c530a9501c9aa5ed961cfc3b0214f.png

Just now, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Thanks for your help, could you tell me which to choose from the pull-down menu? I guess it would be "on"?

image.png.b48c530a9501c9aa5ed961cfc3b0214f.png

Try the one in the viewer first, I wouldn't touch that setting ...just yet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

She talks the same way about the original viewer, last I recall.  There's no making some people happy at all! I think they "get off" trashing people and things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick Nightingale said:

I'm running a ten year old i7 3770K CPU, 16GB RAM and a GTX 1080 GPU...

Yeah, I'm on an ancient i7 myself, although I do have an RTX 2070 (which isn't all that new either) and I'm having no troubles.

Makes you wonder how old some of these computers people are using actually are.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Is there any point in keeping any of the EEP settings and day cycles we had before this? or will they mostly look like ass?

Most of mine still look great. I adjusted exposure down a bit in settings. I have hundreds of windlights, and there are only a few that look weird now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A word of warning with the SL viewer and vsync.

The viewer runs each frame in a loop. That loop does a number of things each time it runs. part of that is rendering the frame. part of that is fetching and decoding textures.

if you lock your viewer to vsync. You will impact the speed at which stuff rezzes (etc)

• Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I'm at 59°C with 0% utilization. As in nothing running. DirectX 12.1 and last GPU driver 2023-06-06.

Is 59° high for doing nothing?

(Mac user normally, have no clue about temps and such.)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

1 minute ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I'm at 59°C with 0% utilization. As in nothing running. DirectX 12.1 and last GPU driver 2023-06-06.

Is 59° high for doing nothing?

(Mac user normally, have no clue about temps and such.)

okay so probabbly not too much cause for concern. 

image.png.4403f46a9a9f9644195993eb46908265.png

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That is incredibly unfair and exactly the feedback that sucks all the joy from working on 3rd party projects, not that there is much to begin with.

If you were paying for any of this work, then sure, maybe that would be valid criticism. But you're not.

Those who make it are, both financially and with their time and energies. Time we could all spend doing other things without any of the abuse and negativity.

This is not helping anyone and makes it more likely that issues will persist longer.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. The Lindens could buy out Firestorm and pay their devs at least what they pay Moles on Upwork. And yet, they don't. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

thanks, whats the name of the program?

I use TechPowerUp's GPU-Z.  it's got a nice all around breakdown of more info than you probably ever need.  But it's stand alone and does the job

image.thumb.png.7a4a9fdacb9e7b46f2806cef599998c7.png

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

it's on the warm side, but not really hot, IMO.  also IMO, start to be concerned only  if/when you get to upper the 70's / lower 80's on a regular basis.

Edited by Anna Salyx
add the word 'not' in a key spot that it got missed at.
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Is it common for 3rd party viewers to keep older versions available for download for a while? To give people time to upgrade if they need to?

Catznip has a very long and slow release cycle for this reason alone, we will have a pre-PBR fall back for a while as a lot of our users just don't stand a chance. Firestorm have a 3 release policy that usually keeps an old viewer about a year, butt ...

There are more mandatory updates coming fast, not least of all is a switch to new voice services.

Then, once GLTF scenes hit the live viewer, a massive pressure on creators to shift content over night, especially clothing.

(GLTF scenes have a lot of awesome features, can be rigged, unlimited texture faces, hierarchies and for people with bodies and clothing .. shape keys. There would be no need for multiple different bodies or items to be rigged multiple times. One body. One outfit. Shape keys change the whole lot at the same time . The same body can be slender, buxom, child, giant, whatever.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1