Firestorm PBR Release Is Out

29 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

If they would just give BOM an opacity control it'd be so much more useful for makeup... I don't think I wear any applier makeup at 100%, it's usually far too much.

Almost all the BoM makeup I've purchased recently does have opacity options.  Some are 25,50,75,100 percent while others will skip one of those.  It does cut down on makeup I purchase but then I don't change makeup that often.  Neutral eye and lip colors work best for me in almost all situations.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking, glow-in-the-dark makeup would be cool! 
(Unless it's being worn by a scary clown.)

It's basically what some.people look.like they're wearing and they probably aren't even aware.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

This is mostly for those not on a PBR viewer, who don't have ALM on and never use shared environment.  That applier makeup that looks awesome?  Not so much in PBR viewers in darker regions. When I switched to a neutral, lighter EEP she looked ok or normal.  Might want to switch to BoM...

https://gyazo.com/aa148bd9ed63651d84291b9cf16171ab

Lol, at least it's easier to see when you're accidentally wearing a double brow. Oops!

I'm not even going to think about what I look like in current non-ideal conditions. Not even giving it a second thought. I always had ALM on in both viewers and ultra settings in BD, but I can only imagine what things look like in PBR in the wrong EEPs now. I sometimes full bright and glow my lashes and eyeballs at times. I wear applier makeup, I mix/match and layer BOM makeup, I wear material tattoos, I wear animated glitter on my face and body and nails and outfits, I wear glowing headdresses, LED animated shades, and body attachments at times. If I start worrying about what all of that looks like under the wrong settings now, I'll never get any sleep. 😂

I apologize in advance if you ever happen to run into me when I'm on my BS. 👀🤣 Maybe one of these days I'll test this stuff.

image.thumb.png.a95bb8363ac3411eba31ba782c49cb1e.png

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Clarifyin'
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lol, at least it's easier to see when you're accidentally wearing a double brow. Oops!

I'm not even going to think about what I look like in current non-ideal conditions. Not even giving it a second thought. I always had ALM on in both viewers and ultra settings in BD, but I can only imagine what things look like in PBR in the wrong EEPs now. I sometimes full bright and glow my lashes and eyeballs at times. I wear applier makeup, I mix/match and layer BOM makeup, I wear material tattoos, I wear animated glitter on my face and body and nails and outfits, I wear glowing headdresses, LED animated shades, and body attachments at times. If I start worrying about what all of that looks like under the wrong settings now, I'll never get any sleep. 😂

I apologize in advance if you ever happen to run into me when I'm on my BS. 👀🤣 Maybe one of these days I'll test this stuff.

image.thumb.png.a95bb8363ac3411eba31ba782c49cb1e.png

Intended looks are completely different and that looks awesome, btw.  I just think some people are going to be shocked when they're finally seeing themselves.

With my old laptop, I only had ALM on when doing pictures and usually not in a dimly lit area.  When I got the new laptop, I had ALM on all the time so I noticed.the glowy lipstick.  Forcing people to have all that on when PBR viewers are finally the norm will be eye.opening for a lot of people.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Intended looks are completely different and that looks awesome, btw.  I just think some people are going to be shocked when they're finally seeing themselves.

With my old laptop, I only had ALM on when doing pictures and usually not in a dimly lit area.  When I got the new laptop, I had ALM on all the time so I noticed.the glowy lipstick.  Forcing people to have all that on when PBR viewers are finally the norm will be eye.opening for a lot of people.

Thank you! Oh and I definitely agree. I just wonder how things on the more...shiny glowy twinkling sparkling end like that are going to behave under different lighting conditions (or if they'll be affected at all). One of these days I'll mess around with it.

But yeah, if someone never ever used ALM, they are in for a SHOCK. For one, they'll be dripping with sweat from head to toe. 😂 You should've seen how my head came out of the box. Built-in face light shining brightly and everything, omg.

I've never actually seen anyone's makeup behave like that, yet, but I purposefully avoid using dark PBR EEPs. To be honest, I'm probably never turning off this Nuve - Shadowless one again!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Forcing people to have all that on when PBR viewers are finally the norm will be eye.opening for a lot of people.

I don't understand why this needs to be or should be forced upon the rest of us.

• Like 1

41 pages, and I still haven't tried it. I will eventually, though. They'll make me.

If anything doesn't show up properly I'll just do what I've always done, either adapt and adjust my prefs to cope or just pretend around it all like it's not there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WeFlossDaily said:

I don't understand why this needs to be or should be forced upon the rest of us.

We were all forced (those on LL and FS viewers) to adopt EEP even though initially people took a huge hit in performance from it.  The issue was eventually fixed but not before it caused an uproar.  Just like now.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking, glow-in-the-dark makeup would be cool! 
(Unless it's being worn by a scary clown.)

You expect me to just sit here and not make any comments after being fed a line like that.

Thanks.

THANKS A LOT.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

We were all forced (those on LL and FS viewers) to adopt EEP even though initially people took a huge hit in performance from it.  The issue was eventually fixed but not before it caused an uproar.  Just like now.

I was able to use Nam's and Caiwl on FS with no issue during the transition to EEP. The SL viewer too though a little more challenging but was never "forced" like PBR is.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I was able to use Nam's and Caiwl on FS with no issue during the transition to EEP.

Issues were there, though. LL water was a major FPS hit for over a year. If I'm not wrong around 40+ fps on my SL/entertainment PC I had back then. It didn't matter to me because it still was in hundreds, but it was there. It was forced on everyone that used updated viewers with EEP and the "fix" was to revert back just like now too.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Issues were there, though. LL water was a major FPS hit for over a year. If I'm not wrong around 40+ fps on my SL/entertainment PC I had back then. It didn't matter to me because it still was in hundreds, but it was there. It was forced on everyone that used updated viewers with EEP and the "fix" was to revert back just like now too.

I don't remember it being quite that long as I was at a TPV inworld meeting when Beq brought up the issue to Oz and Rider Linden and pointed it out on Oz's meeting region. There was a couple false fixes but within a couple months the issue seemed mostly resolved.

I didn't test it a lot as I think I was mostly bouncing around places that were at 1000+ meters but it didn't seem like much more then a 10% hit on FPS.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I was able to use Nam's and Caiwl on FS with no issue during the transition to EEP. The SL viewer too though a little more challenging but was never "forced" like PBR is.

Eventually, we were all forced to use EEP.

• Like 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

How so? I still use Nam's and CaiWL with the latest PBR viewers. I use some others too now but they are still my fallbacks.

It says that but the underlying function is not the same as WL.  Open up the environment editor and it's a completely different thing than WL.  EEP is now an object in your inventory.  Different parcel level control of the environment.  It was a major change.   As mentioned, some people took a major hit in performance for quite awhile.   Maybe you've just never looked into it much?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I couldn't remember who didn't like clowns!

LITERALLY.

EVERYONE.

I was watching an old Japanese TV show where the villain did various diabolical things to kids and the kids didn't really make his job hard. "Gee, everyone is teasing me because of this giant mole on my face. Should I get it removed by a freaky old guy who has a "beauty parlor" in a creepy old house with spiders painted on the chairs? Seems legit..."

The ONE EXCEPTION was when the bad guy's minion was dressed as a clown. Not even a super-evil looking one. "Clown? I'm outta there the second I lay eyes on it."

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

LITERALLY.

EVERYONE.

I was watching an old Japanese TV show where the villain did various diabolical things to kids and the kids didn't really make his job hard. "Gee, everyone is teasing me because of this giant mole on my face. Should I get it removed by a freaky old guy who has a "beauty parlor" in a creepy old house with spiders painted on the chairs? Seems legit..."

The ONE EXCEPTION was when the bad guy's minion was dressed as a clown. Not even a super-evil looking one. "Clown? I'm outta there the second I lay eyes on it."

OMG you just gave me an idea for a business in Second Life - a store that only sells Clown Supplies!!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It says that but the underlying function is not the same as WL.  Open up the environment editor and it's a completely different thing than WL.  EEP is now an object in your inventory.  Different parcel level control of the environment.  It was a major change.   As mentioned, some people took a major hit in performance for quite awhile.   Maybe you've just never looked into it much?

I think this is interesting, because I remember major performance issues with WindLight when it was introduced. (Either I wasn't paying attention during the release of EEP,, or was "gone.") So, there's a trend - new stuff = performance hit. A change to the whole "environment" makes sense for causing different impacts on performance.,

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I think this is interesting, because I remember major performance issues with WindLight when it was introduced. (Either I wasn't paying attention during the release of EEP,, or was "gone.") So, there's a trend - new stuff = performance hit. A change to the whole "environment" makes sense for causing different impacts on performance.,

When WL was introduced, I was still using my laptop with integrated graphics so I wasn't running all that well anyway.  SL was the reason I researched and bought a better laptop the next time.  4 years running badly but I made it through.  😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

It is EEP Environmental Enhancement Project not ERP Environmental Replacement Project. There were enhancements made to Windlight. 

But at its core, some of us see it as still being Windlight with a few extra features. At the time I was using several viewers of different vintages and none showed any change to the environment, regardless if they pre or post EEP.

9 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I respect this relpy. =]

I still got to play my part in the uproar, though. Wave my picket sign and all that. Or, they may never fix anything or get it to a point where it's beneficial to the low-end user.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is EEP Environmental Enhancement Project not ERP Environmental Replacement Project. There were enhancements made to Windlight. 

But at its core, some of us see it as still being Windlight with a few extra features. At the time I was using several viewers of different vintages and none showed any change to the environment, regardless if they pre or post EEP.

The way it functions is different.  It's now an asset you can create and distribute.  There's a folder in your inventory for them.  Before, you had to install new WL settings on your computer.  Whatever you want to call it, it's still an entirely different way environments are handled by the viewers.  

• Like 3

Okej. Here is a proposed middle-ground solution for the PBR problem. It really needs to be done as a feature request. It may also make zero sense.

The major problem with PBR for the low-end user isn't the appearance of SL. We are used to encountering shadow ppl, who themselves cast no shadow. The ocean is a desert to me. The problem is the temperature spike in the GPU. This probably effects mid-range users also.

My initial idea was to argue that we need a was to turn PBR off, and I still like that idea, but it presents a whole bunch of problems for creators and super PC users. So, okej, nobody can win.

My new idea is a light-lock. If the PBR rendering pipeline is constantly trying to get my GPU to calculate the way light is hitting PBR objects, even when there are not any around, and running 10 degrees C hotter, this is a big problem. But what if I could say, you know this calculation standing in this position is fine, and lock the scene into the current calculation. If I could do this and move around, the lighting in the scene would stay static and if built correctly, could be beneficial to me in that my GPU would not need to constantly recalculate the lighting. It would be like freezing PBR in a state that resembled baked lighting. Like, I would TP into a sim, my viewer would gather data required for the render, only throttling up for a second or two, and them present me with a static scene. No, nothing would shimmer or glisten like this and mirrors would not work, but the low-end user doesn't care about this kind of stuff. A high-end user and low-end user would still see the scene in a very similar way if the low-end user had light-lock enabled. IF the renderpipe line could be coded to accommodate this idea in such a way as improve performance for the low-end user, then boom--PBR is no longer a problem and is an asset for everybody.

But, Flossy, this completely defeats the point of PBR, doesn't it?

No, it would allow for coexistence between low-end machines and high-end machines within a universal world view established by PBR. There would be a way for those of us on the low-end to relieve the pressure cause on our systems by PBR without causing creators to feel like they needed to create fallback textures. Other residents would also not have to worry about how they appeared to the low-end user, if the low-end user choose to render them.

This is, however, just an idea. Could the PBR rendering engine be geared toward toggling between dynamic ever-changing lighting and static lighting more friendly to low-end GPUs in such a way that we could embrace it on the low-end?

• Thanks 1