New SL-Dedicated Social Media, Blogging, and Photography Platform PrimFeed Opens! What Are Your Impressions?

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

One of my reservations about the platform from its inception is that, as I've noted above, it was designed for bloggers in particular, and is fully integrated with the blogging software the same guy has created. So it's mostly about SL commerce really.

And there are people who will love it for precisely that reason, just as there are tins of people who read Vogue for the ads.

It's not, however, my prime inducement for adopting a platform.

Yeah, it being a site primarily for ads would def keep me from using it. Isn't what interested me in the site.

If, however, say ads had to be somehow labeled, and/or you could scroll your feed and see one ad for every 4-5 non-ad posts, I'd prob stick around just like how I put up with the same on Twitter.

Filters would also be great, like others have said.

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

I'm struggling a bit to find information. From what I gather, the limitation for free accounts is set to 1500x1500? That's kind of killer. I don't think I'm willing to crop my shots or scale them to postage levels just to see if I like the website.

How does it enforce that? Autoscale? Autocrop? Reject at upload? If the process is anything but seamless, this will likely kill it for the casual users too that just want to post their latest snapshot quick. I reckon most users float on a 1920x1080 resolution. Odd choice.

I'm firmly in the wait and see territory. I wish them well but I'm skeptical it'll take off like that.

When you try to attach an image it will automatically run the check and add this comment as it blocks the update. I used this picture as a test to see how the process worked. As you can see, below it Primfeed shows a message while blocking you.

Correction: If the file size is 24 MB you will basically be completely blocked. Otherwise, you will get the below but you can still post without any error messages popping up.

Primfeed Message.jpg

Edited by Irina Forwzy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

So they are wanting like around 70.00 USD for a yearly subscription?

Do they have monthly and quarterly?

I'm just mainly curious is all..

Monthly and six months. I checked.  I already have Flickr premium and just had it renewed for a year about two months ago so financially it doesn't make sense to now pay into this one just yet. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Irina Forwzy said:

When you try to attach an image it will automatically run the check and add this comment as it blocks the update. I used this picture as a test to see how the process worked. As you can see, below it Primfeed shows a message while blocking you.

Primfeed Message.jpg

This is odd, because I've been posting images that are much larger than 1500x1500px.

Maybe it blocked you because you didn't select a maturity rating? Otherwise, this is the same screen I've been seeing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is odd, because I've been posting images that are much larger than 1500x1500px.

Maybe it blocked you because you didn't select a maturity rating? Otherwise, this is the same screen I've been seeing.

It blocks the file if it goes over 24 MB upload size, in my experience. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I had the same issue, and I did pick a rating…I was not impressed. 1500x1500 is an odd choice for an SL platform. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

One of my reservations about the platform from its inception is that, as I've noted above, it was designed for bloggers in particular, and is fully integrated with the blogging software the same guy has created. So it's mostly about SL commerce really.

And there are people who will love it for precisely that reason, just as there are tons of people who read Vogue for the ads.

It's not, however, my prime inducement for adopting a platform.

To get to the point,  I think this is precisely what is pushing the platform.  It is commercially viable because it's already linked to another similar system that stores and bloggers are using.  Which means the primary stakeholder will be businesses as in stores/bloggers. We as the casual photographer are the extra within this world. 

This is why LL was positive about it and why so many stores are doing giveaways.  It is what will make it in arguably survive as well, since it seems that SL with time is becoming similar to RL with "Midas Touches" from large sl creators advocating and helping new vendors and places launch to higher commercial levels than other businesses. 

Edited by Irina Forwzy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

It blocks the file if it goes over 24 MB upload size, in my experience. 

What file format are you using where a 1500 x 1500 is more than 24mb?

I've uploaded 3k x 3k PNG's to DA, and they typically weigh in at about 6mb

24mb for a 1500 x 1500, sounds like you need a copy of Irfanview.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

3 minutes ago, Irina Forwzy said:

Monthly and six months. I checked.  I already have Flickr premium and just had it renewed for a year about two months ago so financially it doesn't make sense to now pay into this one just yet. 

Ya, I did the two year with Flickr and think I might be close to around starting my second year of that payment.. So ya, it wouldn't make much sense for me as well at the moment..

If it's a place where we can have like our own photostream and albums and camera roll and so on, like flickr does.. That might be neat..

I started flickr before it became this social kind of place, mainly because they had  the biggest upload space around for my images at the time.. That's pretty much all it's ever been to me really is a place with a lot of room to upload..

The whole Followers and Following, I just never really take part in that kind of stuff. That just kind of feels like clicks and likes and how much those seem to be so important to so many across things on the net nowadays..

I just like upload space and share links when I need to or want to..

If it's where I couldn't get away from the social part of it. I doubt I would anyways.. But if we can upload and just share links, That can be nice I think for me..:)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I'm not, unless it rejects the file and I have to convert. I've been experimenting with uploading up to 8k to see the limitations. It seems to have more to do with the actual file size, since I'm able to upload any resolution as long as I stay under 24MB.

• Like 3

Ok, I done did it. Posted.

(It turned out I already had an account on Cristiano's site and forgot. After a review of that site, I created my account.)

I need to update my profile picture, my in-world profile picture that it used is at least 10 years old!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hah! That was my mistake! Yes it lets one post it and then automatically re-sizes it. Just as an FYI,  the first one that was 100% blocked was  about 26K now this one is 8.3K and it let me post it.

Edited by Irina Forwzy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:
6 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I'm not, unless it rejects the file and I have to convert. I've been experimenting with uploading up to 8k to see the limitations. It seems to have more to do with the actual file size, since I'm able to upload any resolution as long as I stay under 24MB.

The "settings" page says you have to use "Primfeed Pro" (paid) to "unlock a higher picture quality".  I just saw the info there, and thought I'd let you know.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The "settings" page says you have to use "Primfeed Pro" (paid) to "unlock a higher picture quality".  I just saw the info there, and thought I'd let you know.

Yup, it autoresizes pics, I think, if you don't have Pro. But the hard limit seems to be 24MB on any resolution of upload.

Edited by SabrinaCooke
I can't grammar today.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SabrinaCooke said:
2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yup, it autoresizes pics, I think, if you don't have Pro. But the hard limit seems to be 24MB on any resolution of upload, though. 

That's 20MB larger than the Forum! 🙂

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's 20MB larger than the Forum! 🙂

I take most of my pics at 6k, and I rarely end up with anything larger than 24mb, even after fussing about with it in Photoshop.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

Yup, it autoresizes pics, I think, if you don't have Pro. But the hard limit seems to be 24MB on any resolution of upload.

I registered out of curiosity, and I read the details. I've closed the tab now but I'm sure that the free membership limit is 24MB (although it mistakenly says 24mb :) ) and the paid membership limit is 72MB.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I just saw the info there, and thought I'd let you know.

LOL, yes I already knew, and compared to DA, I find their prices over the top.

You won't be seeing me there, I was just curious about a post that seemed to suggest "24mb for a 1500 x 1560" image, that's all.

I still recommend Irfanview though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SabrinaCooke said:

Not bad for free! 😁

To be fair, for the casual person that doesn't need to see a picture in perfect resolution or for someone as blind as me with nearsightedness it's not terrible.  Now for paid, I think they should have aimed at 750-1000 monthly for now and increase slightly next year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Irina Forwzy said:

To be fair, for the casual person that doesn't need to see a picture in perfect resolution or for someone as blind as me with nearsightedness it's not terrible.  Now for paid, I think they should have aimed at 750-1000 monthly for now and increase slightly next year.

Yeah, it's not very different from a free Flickr account in my use case/scenario. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I was not impressed. 1500x1500 is an odd choice for an SL platform. 

You'd probably not want my photos to be bigger than 1500 x 1500 😄

• Haha 2

If you're needing to register on the site to browse posts, it's going to drastically limit their audience.

With Bluesky opening to the public this week, and Cara going live last week, the microblogging and art space is a crowded one.

• Like 1

Does it work to post a pic on Primfeed, and link to it here? Or are there restrictions on doing that (pic must be public or a certain rating, etc.)? 

I don't SEE posts in this thread showing that (just doing a quick scan of the current page or so).

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I take most of my pics at 6k, and I rarely end up with anything larger than 24mb, even after fussing about with it in Photoshop.

It depends a lot on how busy the picture is and how easily it can be compressed. My shots are generally taken at 3840x2160 (with some lost pixels due to the way I take pictures).

image.png.f5f9d02fa8014ec61d7a022646a7eff8.png<--- Example. 14.3 MB pre editing at 3840x. That said, I have come to realise that I might just not be the target audience for Primfeed. I've got two interests in these kinds of pages. One is to archive my pictures somewhere, the other is to be able to link it to others without a need for them to log into anything.

The issue with Flickr then seems to be:

1. Commercial interests, bloggers getting smacked because of ads and links on a free account (To be fair, the TOS kind of says you are not allowed to advertise on free to my knowledge).
  2. Restricted content, with perhaps the most idiotic "we do this for safety and diversity" excuse I have seen in all my life so far, Flickr has banished adult content to Pro while uploading but not for linking and is then rather haphazard about enforcing it.

My issue with Deviantart then:

1. Interface for aliens, what in the devils is that. What. Is. That. See this is one of those NIna problems but I can't figure it out. Everytime I try, I sit there going ??? and give up after an hour of looking around.
  2. Restricted linking of adult content, I like to share these with others - yes the adult ones too and people needing to login to see them is not practical for that.

This then puts things into perspective for Primfeed. It can't hotlink, from my experience. At least every single person that I have seen post a primfeed link, it asked me to immediately sign up to view. This is an absolute killer for me and I reckon others too, isn't that the entire point of social media to spam that ***** everywhere?

Could be a user error on my part but that defeats the purpose for me. The low resolution is a bummer and I honestly think it would be wise to raise that to 1920 at least, so that the most common desktop resolution can be uploaded without a hassle. This should pacify most casual users that just want to do snapshots.

I would then fall under the purview of a pro user with my resolution needs. I'm under no illusion that my works are so immaculate that they need all that resolution but remember my desire to archive things? Sometimes I go back to an image years later and do more edits. Which is a wee bit silly at <1500. That brings me to the subscription, in which case - I am sorry but at that price range, I would probably pay for Flickr instead. At least for my purposes, Primfeed doesn't offer anything new on the table.

Sidenote:

Thank you @Aiyumei and @Irina Forwzy for the experiments with uploading and resizing of images.