I have used PBR in landscaping, and hated it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 72 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Just to be clear, this feature isn't officially launched yet in any of the sl viewers right?

Reflection probes were launched with PBR (as they are critical to PBR content looking correct), which was released in December 2023

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Just to be clear, this feature isn't officially launched yet in any of the sl viewers right?

They are in all of the main viewers except Firestorm right now (except beta), and officially released in SL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

They are in all of the main viewers except Firestorm right now (except beta), and officially released in SL.

I'm just gonna download the official viewer to use PBR and appreciate it, like a bed-ridden shutin. 

• Haha 7

Just now, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

It's been a while since i used the sl viewer... might have to crack it out to play with this. 

I'm not sure how far along the FS beta version of their PBR viewer is but I know some folks have been using it and seem happy enough with it, so if you absolutely hate the LL viewer (as a lot of people seem to) then the FS beta may be a better option?

I tend to use the LL viewer around the time new features get released because I'm impatient and like to try out the latest shiny new toys, but then I usually swap back to FS after a while.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I'm just gonna download the official viewer to use PBR and appreciate it, like a bed-ridden shutin. 

You can also join the Firestorm beta group to grab it - I have been using the Firestorm PBR betas for months. Nothing could make me use the SL viewer lol.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I'm not sure how far along the FS beta version of their PBR viewer is but I know some folks have been using it and seem happy enough with it, so if you absolutely hate the LL viewer (as a lot of people seem to) then the FS beta may be a better option?

I tend to use the LL viewer around the time new features get released because I'm impatient and like to try out the latest shiny new toys, but then I usually swap back to FS after a while.

It is rapidly approaching release. Beta updates are coming daily now, sometimes more than once a day. I don't think it will be much longer.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Apparently the release of the FS PBR viewer is imminent. Whatever that means. A week or two maybe?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I think that's the part I struggle with ... I have to create them?

I think commercial structures will increasingly come with them built-in, and a few already do, but if you want to add it to older builds, you'll need to create and calibrate it yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Apparently the release of the FS PBR viewer is imminent. Whatever that means. A week or two maybe?

Well at least I can console myself with the fact that, since it isn't an official LL release, it will at least be sooner than "Soon™😅

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I would say by early July at the latest unless some show stopping thing is found, but at this late stage I doubt it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just a quick update about enviroments, I got some other settings that is supposed to make PBR look at its best. The newest from Battlescars is "Lights that create a pleasant visualization for your stores, even for your avatars, which can help you not only to give atmosphere to your place of business, but also to make your ADS."

These settings improved the look. Pebbles does not look like spraycoated in urethane anymore. It looks better, but no improvement over previous buildings using only the old texturing... materials or not materials.

(I used the included sky setting from the creator of the building set first)

Is it so much better? I can not see it. It is no game changer for me, no 'wow I must get this!'

What looked good before with or without materials, still look good. Only PBR needs special light. This is a MUCH bigger change than with EEP.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

WTF do bedridden shutins have to do with PBR?

they are the ones that would appreciate it the most because it makes SL look more real, because they can't get out in the real world to enjoy REAL PBR

do try and keep up okey? 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added line

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think commercial structures will increasingly come with them built-in, and a few already do, but if you want to add it to older builds, you'll need to create and calibrate it yourself.

LOL my build will be just the same, and any build i do in the future will be just the same, heck I still use (evil) sculpted prims 😂

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

LOL my build will be just the same, and any build i do in the future will be just the same, heck I still use (evil) sculpted prims 😂

Pretty sure you won't be the only one. Implementation of this is going to be spotty at best.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That this is a thing everyone will have to be doing or else they'll suffer with ugly visuals is a bit weird to me. Your video is going to help a lot of people, but they first need to know this is a thing!

Speaking personally, I don't and I don't.

This is an area where there are so many different opinions that you shouldn't take any given person's "You must/you can't" with much more than a grain of salt. I have noticed that a couple of the "PBR is terribell" people from earlier in the year are already using PBR viewers now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

They may be feeling some pressure from tomorrow's SL21B opening, where some surfaces will be PBR-textured with no Blinn-Phong fallback.

(Remains to be seen if this will be any more confusing than the usual "is it loaded yet?" halting problem.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

they are the ones that would appreciate it the most because it makes SL look more real, because they can't get out in the real world to enjoy REAL PBR

do try and keep up okey? 😂

You say breathtakingly absurd *****.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

You say breathtakingly absurd *****.

In a place where the breathtakingly absurd is so commonplace that it has almost become normalized, it is impressive that there are those who still manage to distinguish themselves through breathtaking absurdity alone!

• Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 72 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.