SL should have object decay

20 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
23 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So you are nominating yourself as the arbiter of good taste when it comes to deciding what stays and what goes?

Nope. Just trying to have a friendly discussion about the idea of nominating someone else.

Can we NOT nominate BJ? Asking for a friend!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That's why virtually everyone invariably says "Oh Hell No" to your suggestions, except for a couple of the more repugnant Fossils.

We're only repugnant when we disagree with you!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Object decay.

If you've never experienced this in games, it's a feature where if the owner of a placed object (either individual or group) has not logged in for X amount of time (X being configurable by server owners) the object can be removed by anyone.

Yeah, now that I actually read it..hard "no".

• Like 3

Why should they be removed? Just because some people don't like them? They are an eye sore? They spoil the view? If something is sitll rezzed on a plot of land then that land is being paid for or else it would be reclaimed and items returned surely? If that person is still paying for their land then their items have a right to be there, do they not?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'll make this as clear as possible: No one should have to jump through any sort of hoops to ensure that what they may build (within the confines of the ToS and CS), remains on the grid. Beginning and End.

If the parcel is being paid for, it stays. Doesn't matter who is paying for it. Doesn't matter if they log in once every blue moon or if they do not log in at all.

What has been proposed is not an actual feature nor something that wold improve Second Life.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Carolyn Zapedzki said:

If something is sitll rezzed on a plot of land then that land is being paid for

Not necessarily. There have been periods in the past where land was given away 'for life' - IE land where nobody is paying tier on it, they haven't logged in since 2006...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Not necessarily. There have been periods in the past where land was given away 'for life' - IE land where nobody is paying tier on it, they haven't logged in since 2006...

Interesting, I didn't know that. Maybe in that case they could just send the stuff back to their inventory for if they ever do come back and could just maybe landscape that parcel. Not going back on the original free land and giving it back if they should return at some point? 

I don't imagine that would be hard to do.

4 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

How long do you propose to give people who have paid for their land but are out of world for a while owing to real life issues?  It does sound as though you want to address something that's affecting you currently and you want a blanket solution to fix it.

The best solution to a You Problem like this one would be the ability to derender items you don't want to see. I don't know why LL doesn't add the derender ability to their viewer.

Btw, determining what is an eyesore vs. art is always going to be subjective.

Is this graffiti or art?

Banksy-1140x1140.webp

Is this a moving monument or destruction of natural beauty?

undefined

What about this sculpture? This certainly looks like something one might find on mainland in SL.

paul-mccarthy-paris-fiac-sculpture-2-e1413545004583.jpg

This controversial sculpture also looks like something that could be found in SL.

A huge pair of Ray Bans sit on the grass, with the sea in the background; a young person sits atop one of the framesPerceiving Freedom

Of course, there could also be variations on the famous SL cube.

#ArtUnitesCbus at Coleman’s Pointe, south cube

Tony Rosenthal, <em>Alamo</em> (1967), Astor Place, New York City

Red Cube

File:Rubik's Cube sculpture, 2020 Százhalombatta.jpg

Artwork by Gabby Torres (with a partial view of work by Eric Vacheresse) at North 4th and Main streets Downtown.

It All Starts With A Cube

^ Alexthewolf123 @ Deviant Art ^

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

If the parcel is being paid for, it stays. Doesn't matter who is paying for it. Doesn't matter if they log in once every blue moon or if they do not log in at all.

I really like the idea of getting a "lifetime membership" (i.e., a "membership in perpetuity") where, even if you die (because who really knows if you're dead) your build remains.

I suspect some of the old builds near Luna and surrounding areas are like that. Owned by people long gone, but they somehow got a "free/lifetime" account.  I am jealous!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

The best solution to a You Problem like this one would be the ability to derender items you don't want to see.

Other solutions include:

- Take advantage of a Skybox

- Move to a community with a strict covenant (Belli, etc.)

- Get your own Private Region

- Move to a place where the neighbors don't build stuff that you find offensive

So, there are LOTS of options!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I really like the idea of getting a "lifetime membership" (i.e., a "membership in perpetuity") where, even if you die (because who really knows if you're dead) your build remains.

I suspect some of the old builds near Luna and surrounding areas are like that. Owned by people long gone, but they somehow got a "free/lifetime" account.  I am jealous!

So relocate those sort of regions to a separate continent that is inaccessible to visitors and will only be reattached to the mainland by request of the original owner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

I'll make this as clear as possible: No one should have to jump through any sort of hoops to ensure that what they may build, remains on the grid. Beginning and End.

What has been proposed is not an actual feature nor something that wold improve Second Life.

Let me be clear. Leaving those sort of regions in place will turn the whole continent into  slums owned by absentee slum lords. Move the regions away from inhabited spaces and put them out to pasture somewhere by themselves. 

Easiest way to fix this.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
grammer
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

You Problem

Ah, this classic line.

Sure, its a me problem, just don't be upset that people like me are not going to pay tier to live in ugly surroundings or complain that half the mainland is abandoned plots of land.

Hopefully you can find enough people to make it profitable for LL to keep around without people like me :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Ah, this classic line.

Sure, its a me problem, just don't be upset that people like me are not going to pay tier to live in ugly surroundings or complain that half the mainland is abandoned plots of land.

Hopefully you can find enough people to make it profitable for LL to keep around without people like me :)

You missed the most important part of my post.

"The best solution to a You Problem like this one would be the ability to derender items you don't want to see. I don't know why LL doesn't add the derender ability to their viewer."

Not liking other people's stuff in SL is an Us Problem, but we each have our own idea of what is ugly, cute, charming, funny, or historical. The solution to this problem is to give everyone the ability to derender objects, just as we now have the ability to control our environmental settings. If Firestorm can do it, so can Linden Lab. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you think) LL has a legally binding contract with those early lifetime members guaranteeing them 1/4 region. LL has to abide by that contract.

I forget now just how long ago it was but several years back LL did reach out to all those accounts through the last known contact information they had. How many responded is of course unknown.

Regarding abandoned Mainland parcels, they are supposed to auto clean upon abandonment. I'd say contact Support if you see abandoned land that hasn't been cleaned up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

How are these not applicable to you then:

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Other solutions include:

- Take advantage of a Skybox

- Move to a community with a strict covenant (Belli, etc.)

- Get your own Private Region

- Move to a place where the neighbors don't build stuff that you find offensive

So, there are LOTS of options!

Paul, on the one hand i sort of agree with your OP but at the same time i think SL already sort of have this? I mean, if you don't log in anymore, or stop payments for your land, either to LL itself or a rental property, it will eventually be removed.

Also like someone said, I also like to wander around SL and see it's history. I'm a sucker for a well build structure made entirely out of good old fashioned prims.

And like someone else said, if you don't like what you see, most, if not all TPV's have the derender functionality. don't quote me on that though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Paul, on the one hand i sort of agree with your OP but at the same time i think SL already sort of have this? I mean, if you don't log in anymore, or stop payments for your land, either to LL itself or a rental property, it will eventually be removed.

Also like someone said, I also like to wander around SL and see it's history. I'm a sucker for a well build structure made entirely out of good old fashioned prims.

And like someone else said, if you don't like what you see, most, if not all TPV's have the derender functionality. don't quote me on that though.

I love wandering and inspecting too

I still prefer prim builds in some ways. They don't break at a distance and LI doesn't increase when enlarging. And since the Convex hull trick they are much lower LI

I have derendered builds many a time and problem solved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Perrie Juran said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you think) LL has a legally binding contract with those early lifetime members guaranteeing them 1/4 region. LL has to abide by that contract.

I know at least a few people who don't trust LL, and if they were lifetime members would be posting about how they don't think LL will keep their promise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Nope. Just trying to have a friendly discussion about the idea of nominating someone else.

That might be hard as there's nothing friendly about wanting the world to change to suit you.

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I suggested in my very first post methods for preservation of specific builds.

We're talking entirely about people that no longer care.

How do you know who cares or doesn't?

Are you trolling?

• Like 5