SL21B Latest Discussion, News & Events

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/18/2024 at 5:56 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, this is a version of what was just thrown at me again in that group chat.

-- Do you have stats that show that people are leaving FS because of performance issues?
-- No, how would I have stats on that? FS and LL might.
-- FS only collects stats on bug splatz.
-- But surely you recognize that the sheer number of complaints, people saying their leaving, and so on, is an index that there is a problem?
-- I am not going to address an issue for which you have no statistical proof
-- And no one is collecting those stats
-- Correct, so far as I know
-- So it is literally impossible to get you to address this. No stats, ergo, no problem

I have no idea whether this is a problem a minority or a majority are having. What is undeniable to anyone who isn't deliberately blinkering themselves is that there IS a problem, and that it's not a "tiny" one.

We'll know that Lindens have finally accepted reality when they fork their viewer from their masters, Firestorm or at least offer two viable options for viewing, both of which will see the world "good enough".

We may see new leadership coming in FS as a result.

They know their statistics even though they gabble word salad about how so many people use "both" viewers that "they can't really tell."

But they also have a capacity for living in an artificially constructed world endlessly -- and that shouldn't surprise us, as they constructed a virtual world for US.

They can harness a fanboy to make mocking and shaming videos about mesh to induce everyone to drop prims and sculpties, and not blink when some of the top prim creators simply file out of SL silently, never to return.

And in that world, they can absolutely demolish "search/places" and make it non-functional, and make it impossible to shop on the SL viewer, yet Firestorm can come in, and retaining the legacy form of search/places, ensure that legions of shoppers live to keep SL viable another 15 years.

They can make a substance that makes it impossible even to log on for some; or to see the world; or to move; and let their third-party "solutions provider" do the dirty work of nastily thinning out the rubes and people "whose computers are ready for kindergarten) and not wince. 

Because is't a lab. It's an experiment. It doesn't have to be a business.

14 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

Lot of good SL birthday talk in here!

Haven't you heard? The Lindens have abandoned The Lab and gone dark! WE ARE DOOMED. It’s the end of days and if we want to go off topic then we bloody well will!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Porky Gorky said:

Maybe it is a cultural thing. I know lots of people in the U.K. who range from snarky and sarcastic to damn right offensive just for the fun of it. I find her attitude familiar, relatable and somewhat entertaining.

I've known quite a few people from the UK and they were nice...never arrogant, condescending, and downright mean. Is there a 'mean' part of the UK I'm not familiar with?

*added bullying

Edited by Luna Bliss

2 hours ago, Porky Gorky said:

My point was, because of cultural differences, maybe it is harder for you and others to identify the factual from the hyperbole. As a native reader of dripping sarcasm, I find it quite easy.

There's huge cultural differences - "hyperbole" is the term I used but they find it offensive (or pretend to). What can ya do?

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"hyperbole" is the term I used but they find it offensive (or pretend to)

I don't find the word offensive.

I find your hyperbolic mis use of the word, in almost constant off-topic hyperbole filled spam-posts against anyone who refuses to kowtow to your Cult Of Pointless Positivity, offensive.

Do TRY and get it right, for a change.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I've known quite a few people from the UK and they were nice...never arrogant, condescending, and downright mean. Is there a 'mean' part of the UK I'm not familiar with?

We Brits do tend to have a very dark and cynical thread to our humour sometimes,  season 2 & 3 of Blackadder is a master class in sardonicism.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
typos n stuff
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

We Brits do tend to have a very dark and cynical thread to our humour sometimes,  season 2 & 3 of Blackadder is a master class in sardonicism.

Somewhat related, Stephen Fry, as you might well know, did a great job of explaining the difference between American and British comedy. American comics, he argues, are "above" their targets: they're smarter than the people around them. British comics tend to be themselves the target, and are immersed in a world they can't escape from because, in part, they are contributors to it. It's not merely dark and sardonic -- it's a little despairing. Mr. Bean is never going to solve the world's problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's huge cultural differences - "hyperbole" is the term I used but they find it offensive (or pretend to). What can ya do?

It is a lack of exposure to The Honeymooners when young more then a cultural thing

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

British comics tend to be themselves the target, and are immersed in a world they can't escape from because, in part, they are contributors to it. It's not merely dark and sardonic -- it's a little despairing.

There is certainly a lot of self-deprecation in British humour which I think that can sometimes lead to some misunderstanding, especially with more "vintage" british comedy.  It's very easy to look at some of the "jokes" and assume that the intent is to belittle and make fun of others when in a lot of cases the intent is to ridicule the backward, ignorant attitude of the character making the remarks.  As Stephen Fry said, very few main characters in British sitcoms are heroes you're meant to root for, they're usually objects of ridicule.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

As Stephen Fry said, very few main characters in British sitcoms are heroes you're meant to root for, they're usually objects of ridicule.

They are, but they're also "every man." I think we are meant to aspire to be like a smart-talking American comic hero, but we see a bit of ourselves in British ones.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Ugh
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I too enjoyed the birthday, which for me is 90% the exhibits, 5% the Adult Shop & Hop, and 5% reading YouTube transcripts of Linden & Mole talks. So the exhibits… 

• It gets harder every year to make an exhaustive tour of each exhibit in a region. I can't be the only one who aims to do this, right? Somehow the parcel layout gets more complex every year, and every year I feel more compelled to actually pass through an exhibit parcel to see it, in order to get the intended EEP—and to read the parcel name for clues.

I found it easier this year, as the main road passed each of the parcels. The smaller walkways could be ignored. So I just followed the road. However, exhibitors didn't always put their main entrance at the road side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

I found it easier this year, as the main road passed each of the parcels. The smaller walkways could be ignored. So I just followed the road. However, exhibitors didn't always put their main entrance at the road side.

Oh, I think I see what you mean now, looking at the map. I didn't realize that was the main road!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.