LL has sucked all the fun out of it.

One thing I will sort of agree with Arielle on -- although I don't think she's specifically asked for this.

I do think it would be more transparent to provide a simple list of changes to the ToS and associated documents when these are made. Or at least point explicitly to sections that have been changed.

I don't think I'm being entirely paranoid when i suggest that corporations often count on us not to read their ToS. (I'm looking at you, Meta!)

That said, LL has done, I think, a pretty good job this time around of not merely highlighting those changes, but discussing them publicly. I really can't find much fault with their approach this time around.

• Like 3

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I do think it would be more transparent to provide a simple list of changes to the ToS and associated documents when these are made. Or at least point explicitly to sections that have been changed.

Like a "plain English summary" including, "Here's what changed"?

I believe that is required in the US for things like changes to "Cardholder Agreements".

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not overly, I have other places to go which suit me fine if it comes down to it and SL becomes too much bother.

This all started when i simply responded "Wow! Who knew?!" which maybe you thought was me being sarcastic though I wasn't. My apologies if you took it that way, I could have used a better response in hindsight.

I took it that way because the antagonistic stance you have used throughout the thread is consistent with it being used sarcastically. Most of your responses to people actually helping you with information were subpar, yet we gave you information anyway.

It also seems like you feel that your choice to remain ignorant somehow absolves you of responsibility for acting within the rules of a document that legally binds you if you click ‘agree’, regardless of your preferences? But that’s also a choice. Your methods don’t seem overly effective, but hey - good luck with that. 🍀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fauve Aeon said:
17 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

This all started when i simply responded "Wow! Who knew?!" which maybe you thought was me being sarcastic though I wasn't. My apologies if you took it that way, I could have used a better response in hindsight.

I took it that way because the antagonistic stance you have used throughout the thread is consistent with it being used sarcastically. Most of your responses to people actually helping you with information were subpar, yet we gave you information anyway.

I took it that way too, especially since the TOS is a "wall of text"!

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Those darn TOS changes are going to create a whole new breed of angry incels!

I thought they all have an 18yo (birthday was eternally yesterday)  animesh AI chatbot catgirl maid by now. 👧

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fauve Aeon said:
10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Those darn TOS changes are going to create a whole new breed of angry incels!

I thought they all have an 18yo (birthday was eternally yesterday)  animesh AI chatbot catgirl maid by now. 👧

From my understanding, the maid has THEM. I meant the ones who are still disaffected, not pwned by robot catgirl maids yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

And here I am thinking I'd be happy with a robot that just told me I was pretty and made coffee all the time without me asking it to.

• Like 4

I had an idea that can put the fun back into it for people.

Someone asks you to violate the TOS, tell them that for 5k you'll consider it. They send you money, you tell them you've considered it, and your answer is they can go stuff themselves.

I could see this being incredibly fun.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:
1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

And here I am thinking I'd be happy with a robot that just told me I was pretty and made coffee all the time without me asking it to.

Sure, but would the ROBOT be happy? That's what matters!

20 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I had an idea that can put the fun back into it for people.

Someone asks you to violate the TOS, tell them that for 5k you'll consider it. They send you money, you tell them you've considered it, and your answer is they can go stuff themselves.

I could see this being incredibly fun.

You might need to invest some of your earnings in a name change.  Maybe a sex change and a new wardrobe too.  It could be a hoot, though.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Keira Linden then added:

GOING FORWARD WITH THESE MONTHLY MEETINGS WE INTEND TO INCREASE RESIDENT EDUCATION AS IT PERTAINS TO ACCOUNT SECURITY, AS WELL AS BEING MORE TRANSPARENT WITH THE COMMUNITY ON ABUSE ACTIONS BY PUBLISHING SOME MEANINGFUL DATA AROUND ABUSE REPORTS. WE WILL ALSO BE REGULARLY REVIEWING AND UPDATING TRUST AND SAFETY POLICIES, PROCEDURES, AND TOOLS BASED ON EVOLVING THREATS.

WHAT I MEAN BY THAT [“MEANINGFUL DATA”], IS THAT WE INTEND TO PUBLISH DATA PERTAINING TO ABUSE ISSUES AS WERE ABLE TO.

It was further noted that LL is currently in the process now of evaluating several different products and systems to help with proactive moderation.

No specific details were made available, but it was indicated that the tools being considered “will help the team identify potential violations of the” Terms of Service or Community Standards.

This drew speculation that AI tool will be used and questions asked on real-time chat monitoring. Keira responded by stating (Video: 18:42):

WE ARE NOT GOING TO DISCUSS THE SPECIFICS AROUND THE TOOLS AT THIS TIME. AS MORE DECISIONS ARE MADE WE MAY BE ABLE TO OFFER MORE INFORMATION. RIGHT NOW, WE ARE LOOKING AT A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT TOOLS THAT HAVE DIFFERENT CAPABILITIES.

Thanks, almost missed your post!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sure, but would the ROBOT be happy? That's what matters!

This is why communication is so important.

Also, this thread is actually informative, so yay. I know some people have felt annoyed and stuff, but even they contributed to the informative percentage of the thread.

Don't know how long it will stay, but it's not been an incredibly shiddy thread so far, IMO. I've seen far worse, anyway.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Like maybe a stack of notecards?  Really, if you only "glance" at the TOS, it's right there in the first paragraph:

This agreement (the "Second Life Policy") describes the terms on which Linden Research, Inc. and its wholly-owned subsidiaries ("Linden Lab") offer you access to its 3D virtual world environment entitled Second Life. This offer is conditioned on your agreement to all of the terms and conditions contained in this Second Life Policy, Linden Lab's Terms of Service (the "Terms of Service"), and Linden Lab's Privacy Policy (the "Privacy Policy"), including the policies, terms, and dispute resolution procedures linked to or otherwise referenced therein (collectively, the "Agreements"), all of which are hereby incorporated into this Second Life Policy. If you do not so agree, you should decline this Second Life Policy, in which case you are prohibited from accessing or using Second Life.

Maybe the Lindens need to act out the TOS in a puppet theater?

happy-sock-puppets.gif.0053df8b3b95058be31ef64faaf946ef.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

In situations like this, it is better to separate what you can control and what you cannot control. Only then can you decide how to proceed. You can't control the rules LL decides, and you can't control what they do with the information you send to their servers (IMs, attachment changes, etc.) All you can change is your own actions.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Maybe the Lindens need to act out the TOS in a puppet theater?

happy-sock-puppets.gif.0053df8b3b95058be31ef64faaf946ef.gif

Good thought, and concept, looks far too complex for RL adults, though, following visual and audio at the same time. Maybe pictograms. By the world's best pictogram designer. ... 🤔 ... On further contemplation, forget it, considering how often people fail at doors with arrows, push/pull pictography or the pictogram that tells them to drop paper in the basket and not the toilet floor. 

What was the topic, now, ...oh! You're right, after all, they could put the fun they sucked out back in with a Sock Puppet ToS Theatre.

But seriously, yes, never assume that anything you put on the internet, is private. And fun isn't a guaranteed human right, neither in ToS, nor laws, and ToS, and laws, can and do change. There are a few things we can control, but not that many, really.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

So you are more concerned that they are monitoring your ims than the fact people are using child avatars for sexually gratification? 

As I said in a previous post, LL has ALWAYS had this ability to monitor our chats, so has every form on electronic communication since the beginning of electronic communication dawn of time. 
AI has been around for a long time. 
I remember back when AOL was a big thing, guess what happened.. people were being monitored and certain keywords were being used to promote further review. If you have nothing to hide then why so worried? (Not directed at you per say) 

it’s called accountability for a media corporation. Keeping its players safe sometimes requires some tough decisions. And it’s their ballgame anyway, either agree or get out. 

You can not play an a-hole card and a victim card in the same game. 

That is of course not directed at you, but to anyone who needs to hear it.

It seems like people are saying LL could use AI for real time monitoring, but that LL would never ever do that.

LL needs to be honest just once and say, yes we are watching every word you type as you type it, so when we ban you, there is no one to blame except you 😂

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Patience, my friend. I've already explained we have some challenged people on the forum. We don't want to make them feel too bad about themselves. It just takes them awhile to comprehend things. They're not bad people.

your air of smug superiority is extremely annoying. 

• Like 3