You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

36 minutes ago, Aiyumei said:

The only way nobody will be able to hack you or find you is if you throw away every single piece of technology you own and go live in the wild in an area where there isn't any civilization near and no planes fly close. :P

Yes, I have several responses on this Forum which include:  * smashes computer and goes to live off-grid in a forest, far from others *

• Haha 1

One time i asked my isp for a new ip address they said no i can't have one.

Linden really need to make it so that if you block people they can't send you lindens.  Crazy stalker people can and do send you 1L and write messages on the money to get around mute.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Or am I misled about the magic of VPN's?

You are not in that area.  A few years ago, I did a geolocation look up on the ipaddress I had at the time.  The geolocation put the location in my front yard.    That was fairly sobering moment for me.  I started using a vpn that very day and have used one since.

Some myths about vpns.  No, they will not hide you from government surveillance or protect you from three letter agencies.  They will not stop data collection at the end point give you the ultimate privacy.

I use a vpn not to protect me from LEA or data brokers.  I use them to protect me from the internet crazies out there.  Anyone looking up my ipaddress will think I'm coming out of Chicago.  We live in a age where people seem to get offended at the least thing you can post.   Some wack job might look up you ipaddress and make a point to look you up in RL just because you posted something political, they don't agree with.  

9 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've had dynamic IP for 30+ years and a modem reboot has never produced a new IP address unless the modem was down for a significant period of time (two weeks, per the last time I asked the ISP tech gurus). 

Your dynamic ip address is tied to the mac address of your modem.  When your computer cable modem/router/whatever connects to your isp, it connects to a service called dhcp.  This server looks up your mac address and assigns you a ipaddress.   

There is a setting in all  dhcp servers called time to live, or in some cases lease time.  This is the time that your ipaddress will remain assigned to your mac address when you not connected to the isp.  After the lease time expires without you connecting that ipaddress will be put back in the 'ready' pool to be assigned to some other shmuck.  While you are connected to the isp your ipaddress will not change because you are using it.

The TTL for your isp depends on whatever they set it too.  It can be hours, weeks, or months.  This TTL time is why you usually get the same ipaddress when you just reboot your modem or the power is off for a short time.

30 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

Your dynamic ip address is tied to the mac address of your modem.  When your computer cable modem/router/whatever connects to your isp, it connects to a service called dhcp.  This server looks up your mac address and assigns you a ipaddress.   

There is a setting in all  dhcp servers called time to live, or in some cases lease time.  This is the time that your ipaddress will remain assigned to your mac address when you not connected to the isp.  After the lease time expires without you connecting that ipaddress will be put back in the 'ready' pool to be assigned to some other shmuck.  While you are connected to the isp your ipaddress will not change because you are using it.

The TTL for your isp depends on whatever they set it too.  It can be hours, weeks, or months.  This TTL time is why you usually get the same ipaddress when you just reboot your modem or the power is off for a short time.

I'm aware of the TTL. I was told the TTL was two weeks, years ago when I asked my ISP why rebooting my modem didn't produce a new IP address. They told me that making a change in my home network that altered the MAC address of the device connected to the modem would result in a new IP address after modem reboot. I plugged Mac directly into the modem to test their claim and found it worked.

Since then, I've forced IP address changes by swapping my computer for my router, or by swapping routers in my network, making a different one the gateway. If I undo the swap, the previous ID address returns. So, it appears that my ISP manages some table of pairings of IP and MAC addresses (not of the modem, but of whatever gateway or computer the modem sees). I haven't played with my network gear in a few years, since employing a VPN, so it's possible things have changed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Since then, I've forced IP address changes by swapping my computer for my router, or by swapping routers in my network, making a different one the gateway. If I undo the swap, the previous ID address returns. So, it appears that my ISP manages some table of pairings of IP and MAC addresses (not of the modem, but of whatever gateway or computer the modem sees). I haven't played with my network gear in a few years, since employing a VPN, so it's possible things have changed.

In Windows, you only need to issue the "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" commands to get a new IP address. (Unless your ISP is lame and gives you the same exact IP address to prove it can.)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In Windows, you only need to issue the "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" commands to get a new IP address. (Unless your ISP is lame and gives you the same exact IP address to prove it can.)

That only works if you are connected right to your ISP from your computer.   Most of the time our computers are connected to a router, cable modem, inside your home.  That router is connected to your isp.   Your isp will assign your cable modem a ip address through dhcp.  That dhcp is only for that device and is known as a class C ip address.  Class C addresses are known as internet ready address and are the only kind of ipv4 that can be routed over the public network.  There are exceptions to this too and you might get a Class A or B from your isp.

Your computer will then obtain a local ipaddress from the cable modems dhcp service.  This ipaddress will usually be a Class A or B address.  This class of ipaddress is not routable over the internet and strickly for local devices.   Devices in your own home or office.   This saves on public ipv4 that are getting very rare.

The reason that workstation or home computer can get to the internet is your cable modem does something called Network Address Translation, NAT.   This basically translates data from the one network class to the other and vice versa.

So you see those commands will only force the workstation you have to renew your address on the non public side from your local router.    It won't affect the ip address your isp gives your cable modem unless you can log into it and force the commands to run there.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Madi Melodious said:

That only works if you are connected right to your ISP from your computer.   Most of the time our computers are connected to a router, cable modem, inside your home.  That router is connected to your isp.   Your isp will assign your cable modem a ip address through dhcp.  That dhcp is only for that device and is known as a class C ip address.  Class C addresses are known as internet ready address and are the only kind of ipv4 that can be routed over the public network.  There are exceptions to this too and you might get a Class A or B from your isp.

Your computer will then obtain a local ipaddress from the cable modems dhcp service.  This ipaddress will usually be a Class A or B address.  This class of ipaddress is not routable over the internet and strickly for local devices.   Devices in your own home or office.   This saves on public ipv4 that are getting very rare.

The reason that workstation or home computer can get to the internet is your cable modem does something called Network Address Translation, NAT.   This basically translates data from the one network class to the other and vice versa.

So you see those commands will only force the workstation you have to renew your address on the non public side from your local router.    It won't affect the ip address your isp gives your cable modem unless you can log into it and force the commands to run there.

I remember now, most recently I was told to issue those commands by the ISP when on phone support, to try and correct persistent connection issues (couldn't connect to anything).

A dynamic ip (dhcp) keeps the same for you as long that is is available on the network. Rebooting your modem or/and router not will give you always a new ip. Here you only get with luck a new one after big maintained or other event. So dynamic ip can be semi static. Static ip that never change is only for business.

If your modem get with every reboot a new ip, the isp possible run low on ip's

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2024 at 7:27 PM, AmeliaJ08 said:

If you're concerned just change IP, a modem reboot should do it unless you have a static IP which you normally wouldn't unless you have requested one.

Also it's not very worthwhile them even doing it, IPs of home users are very dynamic and many people connect via VPNs or are behind CGNAT these days.

I am not sure about that.  I don't pay for a static IP and have rebooted my router pretty regularly and I am pretty sure I have had the same IP since I moved in like 5 years ago.

I conn xt to my home via VPN so I would know if it changed.

• Like 1

Devices that look up IPs which are illegal under the TOS in fact are reportedly still sold on the MP and used anyway.

Can I have this fact checked please ? I thought the lab put a stop to that ?

2 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Devices that look up IPs which are illegal under the TOS in fact are reportedly still sold on the MP and used anyway.

Can I have this fact checked please ? I thought the lab put a stop to that ?

I haven't looked [to see if it's stil around], but the was a 'sploder system (that you had to opt into in order to play) that paired your IP addy to your account name. If you used a different account, it would flag you as a 'cheater'. I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure that pointing out the gambling aspect that got regular 'sploders banned in the first place most likely earned me a ban on their system. (But not my alts).

They also flagged husband and wife users (and I'm sure every other form of possible sharers of IP addys). The system owner would ban you by name if he didn't like you for whatever reason.

[EDIT: Forgot some important words..]

Edited by Roxy Couturier

48 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

I haven't looked [to see if it's stil around], but the was a 'sploder system (that you had to opt into in order to play) that paired your IP addy to your account name. If you used a different account, it would flag you as a 'cheater'. I've never tried, but I'm pretty sure that pointing out the gambling aspect that got regular 'sploders banned in the first place most likely earned me a ban on their system. (But not my alts).

They also flagged husband and wife users (and I'm sure every other form of possible sharers of IP addys). The system owner would ban you by name if he didn't like you for whatever reason.

[EDIT: Forgot some important words..]

The sploders does ask you but that company also has a security orb that does not ask. It does use IP addresses to ban from both devices though.  The sploders can be set up with various options including not allowing avatars with the same IP address.  

In the ad for the security device it sells, it does say this...

Can I see peoples IP address and their alt avatars?
A: No, >company V<  doesn't disclose any information other than informing in local chat when an avatar is ejected.

That it says it doesn't disclose means to me that it does collect them but that the end user does not have access to.that information.  It stays in the company's database.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The sploders does ask you but that company also has a security orb that does not ask. It does use IP addresses to ban from both devices though.  The sploders can be set up with various options including not allowing avatars with the same IP address.  

In the ad for the security device it sells, it does say this...

Can I see peoples IP address and their alt avatars?
A: No, >company V<  doesn't disclose any information other than informing in local chat when an avatar is ejected.

That it says it doesn't disclose means to me that it does collect them but that the end user does not have access to.that information.  It stays in the company's database.

The problem with that is that it scrapes that info. There's also the override that allows the >co V< owner to ban anyone from any and all sims they're installed in.

Is there a system-wide shared ban list? Like if you're banned from one sim as a 'griefer' you get banned from every sim that uses it?

If so, that also isn't ToS compliant. Since the fact someone gets ejected because an alt is banned on the network, it effectively outs the link between accounts. That's the part that breaks ToS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

The problem with that is that it scrapes that info. There's also the override that allows the >co V< owner to ban anyone from any and all sims they're installed in.

Is there a system-wide shared ban list? Like if you're banned from one sim as a 'griefer' you get banned from every sim that uses it?

If so, that also isn't ToS compliant. Since the fact someone gets ejected because an alt is banned on the network, it effectively outs the link between accounts. That's the part that breaks ToS.

While I agree, since they do not share the IP address, they technically are not doing anything wrong.   Just as a DJ can technically get your IP address, as.long as they aren't sharing that info, it's allowed.   The company only links the info through their own, hopefully, secure database.  People can infer that an alt is linked to someone but it's still just a guess.  It could be the alt of someone else already in the database.  It must be legal as it's been around for years.

Product...is a networked ban system and anti-griefer tool

Automatic removal of known attackers using our DDOS protected threat database.

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

While I agree, since they do not share the IP address, they technically are not doing anything wrong.   Just as a DJ can technically get your IP address, as.long as they aren't sharing that info, it's allowed.   The company only links the info through their own, hopefully, secure database.  People can infer that an alt is linked to someone but it's still just a guess.  It could be the alt of someone else already in the database.  It must be legal as it's been around for years.

Product...is a networked ban system and anti-griefer tool

Automatic removal of known attackers using our DDOS protected threat database.

That's the part that squicks me. There's a huge difference from a DJ being able to see an IP addy from having it stored and linked to your AV name by someone I frankly do not trust to continue to 'do the right thing'.

Like Banlink, it can be used to grief. Don't like someone? Add them to the linked system as a griefer.

Plus anyone that uses it adds people to the database just by the nature of it scraping -everyone- that passes by.

Stores and clubs that use it should be outed. I mean then at least their clientele can make an informed choice about their patronage.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.