Community roundtable questions

Posted (edited)

Following LL's first community roundtable announcement, I posted my question using the Google form, but got no confirmation whatsoever about it being taken into account after pressing the ”Submit” button (just a blank form after the button got pressed, no ”got it” message of any kind !).

So, for reference, and since I think such a topic (roundtable questions) could be of interest for people who want to share their views or concerns, here was my question:

I would like to raise a deep concern about an essential aspect of Second Life as this virtual world was conceived and which has been largely neglected in the past 10 years or so: user contents creation (i.e. one essential aspect of the ”your world, your imagination” motto).

When I joined SL, back in 2006, it was easy to build things with just the viewer and a basic image editing program; it was also a lot of fun to do, and one of the things that made me want to spend more time online in SL. Nowadays, and since none of the in-viewer tools have been improved to encompass even simple mesh modeling (e.g. with basic mesh primitives that we could model with simple tools: a ”knife”, a ”modeling spatula”, a ”mesh hull generator”, etc), we must rely on incredibly complex and hard to grasp external programs, such as Blender, barring all but experienced 3D designers from building nice things in SL.

The SL model is now drifting fast away from a user-generated contents model to a consumer model, with professional creators on one side who create outside of SL and import their work in SL, and the ”SL users” and consumers on the other... This is, I think, something that should be corrected, since many of today's SL creators started with the SL viewer build tools, something new users cannot really do any more to broaden the scope of their competencies and make their own talents blossom in SL.

I am under the (bad) feeling that LL is attempting to recycle Sansar (and its model) into SL, and I really do not think this would be such a great idea...

Feel free to share your own question on this thread. 😉

It will also be interesting to see what questions have been retained or not by LL, at the roundtable...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Just my opinion but I suspect the Roundtable will be nothing more than their usual Info Session where they ignore community concerns or input except to make some hazy promise to look into it and to put the proposal into the suggestion box where they can reject it with little fanfare.

• Like 3

Would be nice if they would at least include in the viewer the ability to allow changing resolution on textures so residents could reduce large ones to something smaller. Especially with the 2k textures

I have posted this before, it's time for SL to graduate to larger, instanced regions. Since the move to the cloud the foundations have already been laid.

Artists and educators would be more inclined to host their exhibitions in SL, if they weren't paying $2,400/year for the privilege.

Which also requires a change in how content is delivered to the user. Other platforms have solved these challenges and they are thriving, SL could to.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Following LL's first community roundtable announcement, I posted my question using the Google form, but got no confirmation whatsoever about it being taken into account after pressing the ”Submit” button (just a blank form after the button got pressed, no ”got it” message of any kind !).

Any "feedback" system where you don't get a trackable ticket number isn't serious about providing service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am expecting a power point presentation ... but if I can only ask one question ...

Can LL affirm their continued commitment to open source development and enabling the varied and rich third party viewer eco system we all enjoy, and are there any plans to extend or increase the scope of involvement with the open source community going forward?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The round table is to be hosted on 4 regions with 44 avatars total, attendance will be limited to 176 residents + linden unless things are changed.

Hmm... I seem to remember 300+ attendance at SL20B in the 4-sims amphitheater... It won't surprise me if the 44 avatars limit per sim was entirely arbitrary and easily doubled if need be.

I checked and indeed the four Linden Estate Services regions are still set to 44 avatars each, and the seating arrangement familiar to Land & Concierge User Group attendees. Of course by Monday they could transform the whole thing to an auditorium—preferably Molly Linden's from SL7B.

On 5/17/2024 at 10:30 AM, Henri Beauchamp said:

So, for reference, and since I think such a topic (roundtable questions) could be of interest for people who want to share their views or concerns, here was my question:

Feel free to share your own question on this thread. 😉

It will also be interesting to see what questions have been retained or not by LL, at the roundtable...

I'll fold.

My above question (or at least its first part about the creation tools, i.e. not including the consumer model) was posed. \o/

Sadly, the meeting having been held on voice (via the streaming parcel media), I did not understand half of the reply... :-s

So, if anyone could give a transcript here, I would be glad !

8 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

My above question (or at least its first part about the creation tools, i.e. not including the consumer model) was posed. \o/

Sadly, the meeting having been held on voice (via the streaming parcel media), I did not understand half of the reply... :-s

9 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

The YT video has a link for a transcript, but it's auto-generated and may not be a correct format.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

The YT video has a link for a transcript, but it's auto-generated and may not be a correct format.

Oh, it sure does! It's interesting that it didn't earlier (or at least I didn't find it and I'm pretty sure I looked everywhere).  In fact, it lacked Closed Captions for the live stream and for some hours after the event, which I noticed later appeared.

YouTube is so weird. It definitely has the technology to do those live captions. It must be up to the stream creator to turn it on, I guess?

I'm so glad the timecode-linked transcript is available. No way was I gonna sit through two hours of child avatar noise to get to anything significant.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Actually, the video now gained sub-titles (translation might be an automated, queued process at YT, that may take some time) !

The reply to (the first half of) my question is between 1H16 and 1H23 through the video (@Grumpity Linden's reply comes a short while after @Oberwolf's (*) ).

No clear answer though, and my impression is they are (for now ?) more geared towards providing import compatibility with existing standards (gLTF) than truly expanding the in-viewer tools... But there's still hope, an I will keep hoping !

-----

(*) Amusingly, the forum does not have an @Oberwolf Linden link...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

Over on the other thread there's some mention of glTF scenes, which I think will change a lot about how we even conceive of in-world creation—especially as model geometry and materials are increasingly AI-generated. It's not obvious to me where the human role will even be in the SL content creation process five years hence, so I wouldn't know where to invest resources in expanding in-viewer creation tools now. A little vertex-tweaking still seems like it would come in handy, though, and of course the way SL represents the mesh asset makes that impossible. (So it'll be amazing if they get over that superstition as they introduce scenes—but I bet they still won't.)

One thing that annoys me is that they haven't even updated the basic Build Tool to work correctly with glTF materials. I wasn't surprised that they closed "Make texture offsets work the same way for phong and PBR textures" because glTF specifies the +/- directions of the axes, but it's sure a mess coexisting between the two systems (especially for the vast number of existing scripts that manipulate Blinn-Phong textures). They supposedly imported my "[PBR] Why aren't scale/rotation/offset outlined on the object surface when adjusting in editor?" back in February but I don't see any change yet.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Over on the other thread there's some mention of glTF scenes, which I think will change a lot about how we even conceive of in-world creation

GLTF scenes kills in world creation, we are left with an overly complicated pick and place tool that's burdened with useless UI for legacy content.

"You can still use prims" is a bit like saying "you can still use the classic system avatar."

• Like 3

On 5/17/2024 at 7:55 AM, Arielle Popstar said:

Just my opinion but I suspect the Roundtable will be nothing more than their usual Info Session where they ignore community concerns or input except to make some hazy promise to look into it and to put the proposal into the suggestion box where they can reject it with little fanfare.

Has any item in Canny yet changed from "Tracking" to a more active status?

26 minutes ago, animats said:

Has any item in Canny yet changed from "Tracking" to a more active status?

Mobile Viewer project items 🙂

Otherwise, I don't really pay much attention to Canny. (Sorry!)

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

GLTF scenes kills in world creation, we are left with an overly complicated pick and place tool that's burdened with useless UI for legacy content.

"You can still use prims" is a bit like saying "you can still use the classic system avatar."

This is an accurate assessment of the situation. I agree. 💯