Lindens Statements from Governance Meeting

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

None of the Second Life residents care that you own an Alexa, or consider it relevant. They will care if LL respects their privacy in the land they pay for.

You aren't entitled to privacy on a privately owned platform on the internet. Sorry, but you just aren't. 

If you were then none of the ***p**y would matter at all.  Do you think it happens out in the open?  It's allowing all this privacy that prompted all this in the first place.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I almost changed my RL name (part of it) to match my SL name years ago. 

🙂

I won't say it never crossed my mind, either. My RL name is just B-O-R-I-N-G (for ex, my RL first name is 'Carol'; stupid I know, but I prefer the SL spelling lol)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The most concerning statement from the meeting to me was the "Proactive moderation" mentioned.

In SL up until now we've enjoyed a hands off world where LL comes to our aid if we report or raise a ticket but otherwise we are left to our own devices to sort things out amongst ourselves.

Well, how can one be "Proactive" about TOS enforcement? One would have to be actively looking for people to punish - Reading peoples private conversations, snooping on how their avatar looks, or maybe even sending lindens into peoples sims.

To me that sounds very intrusive, and a very large privacy change (ie. removal of privacy altogether) in Second Life. I don't know about others, but personally I'm not fond of the idea of living in Big Brothers house where everything you say or do is sent to an AI or a human for review.

Note: LInden Lab doesn't have the budget for this kind of proactive moderation.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

You aren't entitled to privacy on a privately owned platform on the internet. Sorry, but you just aren't. 

Privacy has always been a core marketing point of Linden Homes:

image.png.13cf6cce4e061e49184964c6b02593d4.png

image.thumb.png.f98111c7afee7fa4b41291c42d34b062.png

LL are entitled to take away the privacy of linden homes, just as much as I am entitled to put my hand on a hot stove.

They can do it, but it would be pretty idiotic.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

image.png.13cf6cce4e061e49184964c6b02593d4.png

image.thumb.png.f98111c7afee7fa4b41291c42d34b062.png

LL are entitled to take away the privacy of linden homes, just as much as I am entitled to put my hand on a hot stove.

You are misunderstanding what they mean by privacy.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:
12 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

It's a shame that "Privacy" moved to "Private Regions" (I could be misspeaking of course, it's just my opinion.)

• Confused 1

You are misunderstanding what they mean by privacy.

What they  mean by privacy is irrelevent to a Second Life Residents purchasing decision. Privacy to a resident means not having people or AI snooping on everything they say or do in their own home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

What they  mean by privacy is irrelevent to a Second Life Residents purchasing decision. Privacy to a resident means not having people or AI snooping on everything they say or do in their own home.

Good luck with that. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe we could have a no-holds barred, Battle Royale-style insult-a-thon?  "Your mother liked it when we did that before."

We would need to have a thread just for funny insults, so it wouldn't derail other thread topics.

4 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Good luck with that. 

It's not me that needs luck.

If Second Life makes changes to it's platform that are likely to make its customers unhappy, Second Life is the one that needs a whole lot of luck.

I'm not going to sit and continue to cough up 200 USD a month for a private region I can't enjoy. Nor will I continue to create content for it,  the same content that LL also makes money off by way of fees. I won't keep my premium account, if I know that I can't even speak my mind in my own home, lest I offend someone who isn't even there.

I'll spend my hard earned money on something I can enjoy instead. I think virtual worlds are cool, but if virtual worlds suddenly suck, I'm not going to keep putting my money in them.

You better pray there are enough residents who don't care about privacy in their own home, that LL stays sustainable after the fall out. Good luck with that!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe we could have a no-holds barred, Battle Royale-style insult-a-thon?  "Your mother liked it when we did that before."

We would need to have a thread just for funny insults, so it wouldn't derail other thread topics.

Perhaps making it about "your avatar" or something, it would be "on topic".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

If Second Life makes changes to it's platform that are likely to make its customers unhappy, Second Life is the one that needs a whole lot of luck.

Unpopular opinion: "New" customers won't know any better, and theoretically will still have more than they would have on other platforms.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

It's not me that needs luck.

I'm not going to sit and continue to cough up 200 USD a month for a private region I can't enjoy. Nor will I continue to create content for it,  the same content that LL also makes money off by way of fees. I won't keep my premium account, if I know that I can't even speak my mind in my own home, lest I offend someone who isn't even there.

I'll spend my hard earned money on something I can enjoy instead. I think virtual worlds are cool, but if virtual worlds suddenly suck, I'm not going to keep putting my money in them.

You better pray there are enough residents who don't care about privacy in their own home, that LL stays sustainable after the fall out. Good luck with that!

What LL means when they say "private regions" or "privacy" is private away from other residents and for you to be able to make the rules in your private area/home.

It DOES NOT mean do whatever the heck you want even if it's illegal.  If you read the TOS you'd know this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Madi Melodious said:

I bet you don't' run a business in RL.   You can't survive as a business and constantly alienate your customers.  

in fact in both, and i worked in a paid job till 3 yrs ago, but could quit that and use the other two for my living, and employed 5 people in the RL one.

want to know my revenue's too?

• Like 1

What LL means when they say "private regions" or "privacy" is private away from other residents and for you to be able to make the rules in your private area/home.

It DOES NOT mean do whatever the heck you want even if it's illegal.  If you read the TOS you'd know this.

I don't care what LL thinks it means. I'm the one with the money. I'll spend it elsewhere if I feel that my personal chat with my own friends is being listened in on by third parties. IDC if it's to save the children or the planet. LL is not entitled to my money.

If LL wants to put their hand on the hot stove, they are entitled to do so. Just don't say mummy didn't warn them of the consequences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

i'd vote for a lion-less section of the forums, just to avoid the worrysome urge to post after every other reply.
Talking and insinuating about others, smile and vile in the fake sweetness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i'd vote for a lion-less section of the forums, just to avoid the worrysome urge to post after every other reply.
Talking and insinuating about others, smile and vile in the fake sweetness.

I'm flattered. Good job!

38 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

they can and do .. totally private is nowhere as Lindens have powers most of us dream about  :).
Not even on a locked totally private single region or homestead. They have access to áll and everything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1