Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

Guess I finally figured out how to make sure my avie looks like an adult. I just need to put on a bikini and stand next to a man?😕

A "Daddy's Girl" T-Shirt would not have changed a thing, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Twice the same head, body, shape of 1m55/5ft08. Only difference color hair, skin and outfit. One can be considered an edgecase/borderline case, the other is mostly considered an adult. Who am I to consider avatar one as a borderline case, if that is created on a budget with skins that come with the Maitreya body, gifts from events and items from sales and where the user is pleased how it turned out?

Yachi Test 2.jpg

Yachi test 3.jpg

30 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Twice the same head, body, shape of 1m55/5ft08. Only difference color hair, skin and outfit. One can be considered an edgecase/borderline case, the other is mostly considered an adult. Who am I to consider avatar one as a borderline case, if that is created on a budget with skins that come with the Maitreya body, gifts from events and items from sales and where the user is pleased how it turned out?

Yachi Test 2.jpg

Yachi test 3.jpg

I didn't vote on this yet if it's in the other thread but the lighting makes a difference too. The skin on the bottom picture looks ... older to me and more realistic. The shading on the face does it. The top picture looks nearly perfectly smooth and brighter and more cartoonish. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Chery Amore said:

I didn't vote on this yet if it's in the other thread but the lighting makes a difference too. The skin on the bottom picture looks ... older to me and more realistic. The shading on the face does it. The top picture looks nearly perfectly smooth and brighter and more cartoonish. 

Well, the skin in the top pic is definitely a younger-looking skin than the one on the bottom.  Button nose, pale lips and the raised eyebrows all put together make a more youthful face.  Kind of what we've all been saying.  It's not so much the shape or height but skin.  

• Like 5

Cat is already short compared to the average SL height. (If Greg is considered average, I can't imagine what a SL basketball player would look like.)  Therefore, one would think she'll be in compliance with the 1920 Berlin sim. It turns out that she is too tall for that place . XD

Here she is standing next to the Berlin height ruler and Greg for scale: 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.910ae5894873414e70aabc9a38ab98eb.jpg

I also aged Cat up by 50 years. If she still looks like a child according to those who stubbornly clutch on the height only criteria, well they're just beyond redemption.

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.1a1604dc84f069d146fae9a1c57acefe.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Guess I finally figured out how to make sure my avie looks like an adult. I just need to put on a bikini and stand next to a man?😕

Yeah, actually, kinda.

It was certainly one of my conclusions from that thread that large and well-aired boobs "age" one.

A little sad, no?

• Like 2

I posted this in the photo thread about child avatars and as suspected I got (so far) two likes suggesting that I look 17 or younger, which just goes to show that it's all about make-up (or lack of) hair and clothes. I know now to stay away from this look!

1cd89d723e2dcccd2466dd4cf8d4279b.png

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 5:06 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

While of course avatars can change hairstyles anytime, it's rare these days in RL for people to radically change hairstyles.  I noticed that your hairstyles are heavily influenced by Manga / Manhwa styles.  Of course in those stories, a character usually has "just one style". 

I'm reminded of a favorite Manhwa ("Let Dai"), in which one of the main characters constantly changed hair styles. This had an interesting side effect of 'making fun of hairstyles in manhwa'.  The character was able to get away with this because part of the story was, their family owned a wig shop!

Some people put temporary colors in their hair, so they may change those fairly frequently. Some people (mostly woman and drag queens) wear wigs to change up their hair styles frequently. I've noticed that young people and black women seem more likely to change their hair frequently. I had a 20-something black housemate who wore hair pieces and added colors to them frequently, as well as getting her hair done by others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It was certainly one of my conclusions from that thread that large and well-aired boobs "age" one.

A little sad, no?

No. It's a good thing that most of the time we give people the benefit of the doubt when an avatar is perhaps suggestively dressed and showing boobage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, actually, kinda.

A little sad, no?

Does it pass the male gaze. Does it pass post nut clarity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Some people put temporary colors in their hair, so they may change those fairly frequently. Some people (mostly woman and drag queens) wear wigs to change up their hair styles frequently. I've noticed that young people and black women seem more likely to change their hair frequently. I had a 20-something black housemate who wore hair pieces and added colors to them frequently, as well as getting her hair done by others.

Now that I have a "lot more" hair than I used to, I could change it frequently. 

But there's not much point. (Unless I start taking more pictures, or going out in "public".)

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does anything? Ever?

Sheesh .. If it doesn't, maybe don't jerk off to it ? Healthy sex life, self respect, all that good mental health stuff ?

TMI: There are some people (not ME), who no matter the subject of their "attention", go into a deep funk post-.  For those people, nothing passes that "post-" clarity test.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Annie Nova said:

I posted this in the photo thread about child avatars and as suspected I got (so far) two likes suggesting that I look 17 or younger, which just goes to show that it's all about make-up (or lack of) hair and clothes. I know now to stay away from this look!

1cd89d723e2dcccd2466dd4cf8d4279b.png

I chose confused. Her face seems a bit too mature for me to have a gut response of under 17 for sure. She looks like someone older dressing up for Halloween or a costume party.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

No. It's a good thing that most of the time we give people the benefit of the doubt when an avatar is perhaps suggestively dressed and showing boobage.

In an SL context? Maybe

But it is, as Coffee says, a rather unpleasant reminder of some realities concerning how we as a culture judge femininity.

19 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Does it pass the male gaze. Does it pass post nut clarity.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Now that I have a "lot more" hair than I used to, I could change it frequently. 

But there's not much point. (Unless I start taking more pictures, or going out in "public".)

If only I made linden bucks every time I change my hairstyle!!! I could buy even more hair!! I change my hair more often than my jewelry. I pretty much change my hair every time I change my outfit. I think that's probably more normal for females than males. It's kinda like a shoe thing. 

I currently have 226 different hairs in my inventory and that's after doing a near complete purge of all my old hairs a couple of years ago. And I don't begin to shop like I used to.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I currently have 226 different hairs in my inventory and that's after doing a near complete purge of all my old hairs a couple of years ago.

Maybe one day I will look more at "shorter" hairstyles.  Maybe. Maybe not.  If I do, then there will be more choices of hair.

30 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

This viewpoint to me is extremely troubling. I shouldn't have to show off my cleavage to look my age. Plus I think it's really unrealistic. Look at teens from 16 on up and you'll see lots of cleavage. I routinely had girls in my 6th grade class (11-12 yrs) with visible cleavage as well as those who hadn't started to develop at all yet.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

This viewpoint to me is extremely troubling. I shouldn't have to show off my cleavage to look my age. Plus I think it's really unrealistic. Look at teens from 16 on up and you'll see lots of cleavage. I routinely had girls in my 6th grade class (11-12 yrs) with visible cleavage as well as those who hadn't started to develop at all yet.

I'm specifically referring to SL, because if there's a reasonable doubt that the avatar is presenting as an adult, then we shouldn't AR them - in my opinion.

I had boobage when I was 13, but I didn't look like an adult. There are many factors that define whether someone looks like an adult or not. In RL guessing correctly could be very important. In SL, not so much.

Somewhere on these forums we were discussing Anime representation of ages and how those are different from RL. I'll counter that how we judge age in SL is different from how we judge age in RL too.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm specifically referring to SL, because if there's a reasonable doubt that the avatar is presenting as an adult, then we shouldn't AR them - in my opinion.

I agree that we shouldn't AR anyone unless it is absolutely obvious that the person is prepubescent. Edge cases IMO should be ignored unless there is extreme serious doubt and the person appears to be involved in a*eplay. Even still, I'm going to be leery to AR anyone regardless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I agree that we shouldn't AR anyone unless it is absolutely obvious that the person is prepubescent. Edge cases IMO should be ignored unless there is extreme serious doubt and the person appears to be involved in a*eplay. Even still, I'm going to be leery to AR anyone regardless.

I think we'll all have to decide on a case by case basis.

For example, If I were to go into an AFK sim & found all the "avatars" there looked underage, I would report them and the sim owner. In that case they might all be bots for the owner, who is purposefully using "edge-case" presentation for monetary gain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

I chose confused. Her face seems a bit too mature for me to have a gut response of under 17 for sure. She looks like someone older dressing up for Halloween or a costume party.

ooh that's good!

32 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If I were to go into an AFK sim & found all the "avatars" there looked underage, I would report them and the sim owner. In that case they might all be bots for the owner, who is purposefully using "edge-case" presentation for monetary gain.

I'm honestly very curious what avatars look like that frequent certain sims, but I'm way too scared to ever step foot in questionable places. Even if I was wearing an invisible avatar, I would not have the courage to do it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.