Discuss or Comments about Child, Adult, Can't Tell Thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Devilgrey said:

my furries are more beastkin-like avatars. i use the mekot head for both the dude and the girl beastkin. I do own a furry dog head but never managed to get a result i loved, so it's in the bin for now.

Quick off-topic - depending on the brand, you might be able to get a kit to convert that dog to something else. I'm using the Cerberus Canis on my fox avatar and there are kangaroo skins for the HP Deer head, just as an example. If you ever wanna toss the head over in a thread in Your Avatar, maybe we could find some cute kits for it (wow that sounds funny out of context).

1 hour ago, Devilgrey said:

i feel like my other anime character would fall under teen reactions bc she uses the roidchan head, which is moe-style. she aint supposed to be past 16 to 20 yrs old anyways. i'm probably not going to bother with her honestly.

I'll be honest - if I had an anime avatar (which weirdly I do not ... yet?), I wouldn't take them to adult land after these new changes, just as a precaution. I think relying on both random people and LL to judge their age in the user's favor is bad ideas. I'd just feel more comfortable on G and M land, personally, where it's less likely to be an issue.

Edit: Looks up. Hah! You look like your forum avatar. Very cute look! The eye makeup brings back memories of having black eyeshadow damn near baked into my skin after a long night out and having to spend way too much damn time scrubbing it off my eyelids, lol.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added Stuffs
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Devilgrey said:

these comments are coming off as culturally short-sighted. being ignorant of the culture doesn't

You are the one with "cultural myopia"

You Assume that EVERYONE lives in the country you do, and has the tv channel you do, and watches the shows you do, and loves those shows so much they memorise all the backstory fluff of every walk-on part in every episode..

And you can't wrap your head around the concept that most people are not hardcore anime fans, have never even heard of the series, let alone some supporting character in it, and really don't care.

You can't wrap your head around "badly drawn cartoon of a 10 yr old's head stuck on a 14 yr olds body", and think screaming "But it's JAPANESE" excuses you from the ToS and the sim owners rules about "presenting as a minor"..

It doesn't.

"Chile-like avatar" means just that child-like, doesn't nmatter if some fan-wiki site says the tv cartoon character the aatar is based on is 29, what matters is to the subjective view of a non anime fan, it's child like.

3 hours ago, Devilgrey said:

why'd you change my quote to be so rude?

You assumption that "everyone" knows whoever from whatever, is rude. As is the assumption that anyone who doesn't know is some "ignorant barbarian".

I really dont know why you keep bringing up lolicon

You brought up lolicon. I just picked a "Japanese made up name" for the example of why many people won't have a clue about the backstory fluff, you hold so dear and claim "proves" your avatar represents a certain age, and your claim that obviously, everyone will know that.

it's not necessary to know if someone's avatar is based on a character to decide their age

Well done, now you're getting it. We judge by looking at that badly drawn child's head on the teen body and say "no way is that "over 18" regardless of  the fluff in the meaningless place pick disclaimer.

i feel like you're using a single personal experience to cloud your reactions based on this topic.

Wrong, it's based on having been an admin on A rate venues and having to deal with "child-like" avatars arguing that the rules saying they can't be there didn't apply to them because "But its JKAPANEESE! So the rules don't apply, you are ignorant of a culture I've appropriated to excuse my rule breaking".

"But it's JAPANESE!" is one of the STANDARD excuses given by people in child like avatars for ignoring the rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'll be honest - if I had an anime avatar (which weirdly I do not ... yet?), I wouldn't take them to adult land after these new changes, just as a precaution. I think relying on both random people and LL to judge their age in the user's favor is bad ideas. I'd just feel more comfortable on G and M land, personally, where it's less likely to be an issue.

i dont go to regular adult sims as my anime avatars unless it's a-rated anime sim. which i tend not to go to any anime sims usually just bc I've had mixed experiences. i dont play as anime characters much in general. i typicall visit mostly moderate sims anyways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

ou are the one with "cultural myopia"

You Assume that EVERYONE lives in the country you do, and has the tv channel you do, and watches the shows you do, and loves those shows so much they memorise all the backstory fluff of every walk-on part in every episode..

And you can't wrap your head around the concept that most people are not hardcore anime fans, have never even heard of the series, let alone some supporting character in it, and really don't care.

by culturally short-sighted was meant in regard to japan and it's anime/manga media, not usa anime fans (pretty sure @Persephone Emerald meant it that way too). never did i imply everyone should know the ins & outs of the style or media. i've previously said multiple times i understand not everyone know much about anime and showed some examples.

anyways, i'm bowing out of this particular conversation. i've made myself clear enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Firstly, before I say anything, whilst I understand where Devilgrey is coming from I want to disavow Develgrey's choice of words, describing those who aren't interested in anime as ignorant is not really fair as there's no expectation for others to understand peoples hobbies the same way I'm not an ignorant person because I don't know how to play a trumpet.

I don't particularly expect you or the general SL population to appreciate anime, and consider it fair that a sim owner might not appreciate anime avatars and choose to disallow me or anyone in them in their region. I don't consider myself entitled to be anywhere that isn't public land or my own private property.

I personally think anime is great and has something for all ages and interests, if only given the chance people would probably realise it to be a much more fun hobby. You could probably find something you'd enjoy. I've seen you in Star Wars esque outfits, how bout Cowboy Bebop?

With that said, have you noticed that the overton window is shifting? The person liking your comments is someone who is interested in removing adult content from secondlife all together. I know on occassion you like to post sexy pictures of your avatars from time to time and you also seem to understand the adult nature of Second Life quite well.

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Devilgrey said:

i dont go to regular adult sims as my anime avatars unless it's a-rated anime sim. which i tend not to go to any anime sims usually just bc I've had mixed experiences. i dont play as anime characters much in general. i typicall visit mostly moderate sims anyways.

I hear you. I'm mostly the type of person who just blindly bounces from store to store (especially during weekend sales - clicking links from Seraphim) and very occasionally notices I may be standing on A-rated land. For anyone playing an under 18, or something really difficult to determine age with, that's something additional to think about now. 😩

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

With that said, have you noticed that the overton window is shifting? The person liking your comments is someone who is interested in removing adult content from secondlife all together. I know on occassion you like to post sexy pictures of your avatars from time to time and you also seem to understand the adult nature of Second Life quite well.

Don't be a coward, name me, and that is not the position I hold. Try again.

On the subject of Anime, some people sporting that style might be perceived as under 18, so will have to deal with that fact and the TOS as stated today. Anime is in general youthful, as that's the style Japan likes, along with 'cute', like Kawaii and other stuff - which also sports 'child-like' traits, like big eyes, round and oversized heads, etc - What 'child-like' is really shouldn't be argued about this long...

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Extrude Ragu said:

firstly, before I say anything, whilst I understand where Devilgrey is coming from I want to disavow Develgrey's choice of words, describing those who aren't interested in anime as ignorant is not really fair as there's no expectation for others to understand peoples hobbies the same way I'm not an ignorant person because I don't know how to play a trumpet.

yeah i realize in hindsight what i said can be misinterpretation as calling ppl ignorant for not liking anime. what i specifically meant was there's no excuse to degrade a culture you know little about. which i feel personally kept getting done.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

that is not the position I hold. Try again.

I don't think it is unreasonable to say that someone who describes adult activity as a 'stink' and creates a thread to discuss how the platform would thrive without it, is someone who probably doesn't like adult content and wants it gone from the platform.

I also don't see how I need to explicitly name you when I am talking to somebody else. It would seem you are seeking confrontation.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I hear you. I'm mostly the type of person who just blindly bounces from store to store (especially during weekend sales - clicking links from Seraphim) and very occasionally notices I may be standing on A-rated land. For anyone playing an under 18, or something really difficult to determine age with, that's something additional to think about now. 😩

yeah so many stores are on a-rated land. i have a dinkie and non-human starkin too. which i tend not to tp anywhere too bc they're little animals basically. idk how dinkies & tinies are viewed by the general sl population. i personally see them as adults/full grown animals.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I don't think it is unreasonable to say that someone who describes adult activity as a 'stink' and creates a thread to discuss how the platform would thrive without it, is someone who probably doesn't like adult content and wants it gone from the

'That's not my position'.. I wonder how many times I've had to type that on these forums.. Need to make a macro for it.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Devilgrey said:

yeah so many stores are on a-rated land. i have a dinkie and non-human starkin too. which i tend not to tp anywhere too bc they're little animals basically. idk how dinkies & tinies are viewed by the general sl population. i personally see them as adults/full grown animals.

There you go - post a Dinkie in the photo thread and let's find out!

I'm pretty sure most consider them safe, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

'That's not my position'.. I wonder how many times I've had to type that on these forums.. Need to make a macro for it.

If it is not your position, why did you open a whole thread where you state it is your position?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Edit: Looks up. Hah! You look like your forum avatar. Very cute look! The eye makeup brings back memories of having black eyeshadow damn near baked into my skin after a long night out and having to spend way too much damn time scrubbing it off my eyelids, lol.

wow 😳 thanks. haha to be compared to my favorite avatar, masaru, is a big compliment. that cosplay was of ruki from the gazette btw.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Devilgrey said:

wow 😳 thanks. haha to be compared to my favorite avatar, masaru, is a big compliment. that cosplay was of ruki from the gazette btw.

I admit, I had to Google. My familiarity with Japanese rock ended with Malice Mizer soooo long ago. I'm still quite fond of visual kei fashion, though.

You nailed the look! I can totally see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"But it's JAPANESE!" is one of the STANDARD excuses given by people in child like avatars for ignoring the rules.

Rules shmules, get over it. Biggest majority of people in SL are of age and those who aren't, are almost. No need to AR somebody or anybody for that matter if they are not bothering you.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Rules shmules, get over it. Biggest majority of people in SL are of age and those who aren't, are almost. No need to AR somebody or anybody for that matter if they are not bothering you.

That's pretty much true. A lot of people seem to be worried that they might get AR'd, but I think you turned it around the right way. Most people can't be bothered to AR anyone. Unless someone is clearly doing something that is a flagrant violation of the upgraded TOS -- wandering around in an Adult region as a toddler, for example -- chances are good that nobody is going to complain. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

There will be ARs though, because a lot of people don't want to see child-like avatars in their adult venues, and will report it because it does bother them. Just because you aren't bothered by seeing child-like avatars somewhere inappropriate does not mean that others won't take issue with it, and that is their right, especially when the TOS backs them up.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

5-11-24AlyciaDollinKimono_001.thumb.jpg.bf91dadaa0c77398a0da14059a2281a3.jpg

5-11-24AlyciaDollinKimono_002.thumb.jpg.eb3f474f637ed658087db037c45305a5.jpg

2 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

5-11-24AlyciaDollWednesday_001.thumb.jpg.1f7983e8e8084bc899eddf6bbbe1bf25.jpg

These are basically the same avatar (the COCO MyDoll) in different clothing. The shapes aren't exactly the same though, because I had saved different shapes with each outfit. Looking at them now, I think I should make the shoulders narrower for the Wednesday Addams dress. The avatar is a doll, not human. I can understand why most people would think Wednesday Addams is supposed to be a child, even though an adult could cosplay as her. Would the doll in the kimono have seemed younger if she were wearing braids or pigtails?

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

There you go - post a Dinkie in the photo thread and let's find out!

I'm pretty sure most consider them safe, though.

5-11-24AlyciaasDinkie1_001.thumb.jpg.2645e35ea2a17a3adbe8a8125b3e5ac2.jpg

Alycia has panties with some of her Dinkie dresses, but not with all of them. She doesn't have any Dinkie bra tops.

I've always considered her a 20-something adult, though she was "born" in her early 20's over 10 years ago.

Oddly, even though the skin on this Dinkie is BOM, it doesn't show that she's also wearing BOM bikini bottoms under her fur.

13 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

These are basically the same avatar (the COCO MyDoll) in different clothing. The shapes aren't exactly the same though, because I had saved different shaped with each outfit. Looking at them now, I think I should make the shoulders narrower for the Wednesday Addams dress. The avatar is a doll, not human. I can understand why most people would think Wednesday Addams is supposed to be a child, even though an adult could cosplay as her. Would the doll in the kimono have seemed younger if she were wearing braids or pigtails?

Ah! I was wondering what the deal was there. The one in the kimino is a hard tell. First pic looks just so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

These are basically the same avatar (the COCO MyDoll) in different clothing. The shapes aren't exactly the same though, because I had saved different shapes with each outfit. Looking at them now, I think I should make the shoulders narrower for the Wednesday Addams dress. The avatar is a doll, not human. I can understand why most people would think Wednesday Addams is supposed to be a child, even though an adult could cosplay as her. Would the doll in the kimono have seemed younger if she were wearing braids or pigtails?

the wedensday addams doll looks alot like the old tv shows and cartoons and not at all like any of adults i have seen cosplaying

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

If you had posted this in that other thread, I would have said can't tell; however, I do see the resemblance to the RL pic you posted. To me the RL pic looks like a very youthful looking woman somewhere in her very late teens to early 20s. The reason I would question your avatar is the close proximity of your nose and mouth and the largeness of your eyes in comparison to your head. As we age our faces get longer which ages us. The issue in SL is that a large majority of people place the mouth pretty close the nose, me included. :) 

14 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

As @Blush Bravin says in the post above mine here,^ noses keep growing a bit as we age, so I think if your avatar's nose were a tiny bit longer and down-pointed, she would look older.

RL: The woman behind the counter at my gym this morning looked younger than your RL example picture.

14 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yep plus, the tiny button nose! 

Okay, so longer face with smaller eyes and a larger nose, something like this perhaps?

2ff87ed7-9abe-4de9-a3f6-c4d8cd621d56_500x375.gif.30cda1c9271430e676e83cabe843396e.gif

Or should I make the mouth a little lower too, just to be sure? 🤣

Seriously though, thank you all!  I do appreciate the feedback and those are some great observations for anyone wanting to age up their avatar a little.  Hopefully someone with knowledge of the subject will compile those and some other suggestions into a thread on "How to age your avatar" as a reference.

I don't know if I'll bother tweaking that shape (I was just using it as an example of "questionable age range" avatars, so your feedback pretty much confirmed my assumption), I've been using it for a while and it's probably time for a change so I may just switch things up and go with something a little less generic.  I understand that some people identify with their avatars and can get very attached to them but changing form, although I don't do it often, doesn't really bother me.

Maybe I will make myself that wicked witch avatar after all?!  I could even make a couple of flying animesh monkeys to complete the look (with non-removable modesty patches of course!) 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.