So what changed in the Terms of Service?

11 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I personally wouldn't risk it. I logged an alt in last night and cleared off anything in About, cleared off the Picks for any Adult Clubs and sanitized the groups by deleting anything but some for stores I had, though even there I'll probably go through them and get rid of any that only sell fashions for 15-25 year olds.

Oh, did you use child avatars a lot? That's interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think LL is doing an excellent job managing the child avatar crisis, and I hope the TOS change is just one of many positive changes to deal with it.

It sure beats banning child avatars altogether. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No, but I did usually appear as somewhere around 20. That is now too risky.

No it isn't. We all know what the problem is here; it's naked child avis. LL couldn't give a monkey's about pics of nudie pixels that look 20.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ErwinVonVlotho said:

No it isn't. We all know what the problem is here; it's naked child avis. LL couldn't give a monkey's about pics of nudie pixels that look 20.

Child avi's are currently open to being AR'd on simple suspicion alone. If you don't see that then you haven't been following this thread or other ones on other mediums. I may think my avi looks 20 but there are others who might think it is 15 or 25 and AR to let LL figure it out if they can.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think LL is doing an excellent job managing the child avatar crisis, and I hope the TOS change is just one of many positive changes to deal with it.

If "child" avatars were prepubescent only, there might be a point but a Child avatar for the purpose of the ToS is any that have a look that is between 1-18. That is pretty much 50% of the female avatar population of the grid. And with 50% of the females gone, how many of the males you think will bother returning?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Child avi's are currently open to being AR'd on simple suspicion alone. If you don't see that then you haven't been following this thread or other ones on other mediums. I may think my avi looks 20 but there are others who might think it is 15 or 25 and AR to let LL figure it out if they can.

Hogwash, without a picture of something "bad" or a chat log, any AR is just "he said/she said". Governance doesn't automatically act on AR's without evidence.

A teen avatar in itself is about as suspicious as Kaiser Soze in "The Usual Suspects" (played by Kevin Spacey). Or as sus as Kevin Spacey IRL. YMMV.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

ANYONE is "open to being AR'd on simple suspicion alone". LL don't want to ban customers if they don't have to. SL is a business. I really don't think anyone is interested in "Is she 17 or 19?" edge cases, because they don't present any public relations hazard. We all know this is about child avis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought the actual crisis was a false allegation of misconduct by Lindens posted by an anonymous source, which LL investigated and found to have no merit. Is there an additional “child avatar crisis” that has yet to be disclosed and is new? Is this really about EU laws?

The novel crisis in the US concerns sites like PronHub and RL age verification imposed by a few states.

Edited by diamond Marchant
Typos
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And what do you think the employee in charge of processing the AR's will do with the only on suspicion based ones?
Straight forwarded to the bin.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hogwash, without a picture of something "bad" or a chat log, any AR is just "he said/she said". Governance doesn't automatically act on AR's without evidence.

I'm not going to look for it at the moment but Governance has stated in the FAQ that they act on all Child AR's. It is where they feel they are vulnerable and as such have to investigate that they don't miss something. There are so many potential infractions under the new ToS that it would likely not be too difficult for them to find something warranting a ban under the new ToS.

3 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

I thought the actual crisis was a false allegation of misconduct by Lindens posted by an anonymous source, which LL investigated and found to have no merit. Is there an additional “child avatar crisis” that was yet to be disclosed and is new? Is this really about EU laws?

The novel crisis in the US concerns sites like PronHub and RL age verification imposed by a few states.

Either way, even if a "false crisis", it was "believed" by enough people that the idea of "doing something" is a good one. Perhaps the investigation included merely counting reported incidents and that was found to need addressing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

And what do you think the employee in charge of processing the AR's will do with the on suspicion based ones?
Straight in the bin.

What do you base then on, magical thinking? We have no idea what they do with it. (we do but can't say)

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Either way, even if a "false crisis", it was "believed" by enough people that the idea of "doing something" is a good one. Perhaps the investigation included merely counting reported incidents and that was found to need addressing.

Be careful...you have no idea or data to back up that it was "believed" by  more than one person.  Maybe the person that was in power to "do something" woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day. <sarcastic remark>

I think with the changes to TOS you're going to see less and less borederline cases, which when you think about it, is actually a good thing. It doesn't really matter that LL are not as focused on avatars that look say 16 or 17, you'll most likely find that sim owners on A sims will do the policing for them. People have already mentioned that happening in this thread. 

Nobody who isn't perverted wants anything to do with that sort of thing, adult and child avarars alike, so everyone is going to be a lot more cautious. Again, this is probably a good thing. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm not going to look for it at the moment but Governance has stated in the FAQ that they act on all Child AR's.

Of course they do; not acting on them all would be like juggling legal grenades with the pins pulled. But "acting on" does not mean banning the subject of the AR. Everyone who gets ARd is a customer. Banning them will lose money and SL is a business. They're not going to ban anyone on an unsupported AR alone.

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

There are so many potential infractions under the new ToS that it would likely not be too difficult for them to find something warranting a ban under the new ToS.

No, there really aren't that many at all. And, once again, LL are not looking for excuses to ban people. It is not in their interests to do that.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

What do you base then on, magical thinking? We have no idea what they do with it. (we do but can't say)

On the same base, that you assume they will take measures immediately.
I've been around long enough to know that if one colors somewhat within the lines, not very much will harm you.

In all the 17 years that I'm around, I was once banned (last year) from a Linden estate at whim of a Linden. But that was straightened out in the end. For the rest, every contact with Lindens and Moles has been correct and pleasant. Not that I had that many of them.

Stay within TOS and live your life, that is all there is to it in Second Life.
If one chooses the drama road, there is a minefield to be seen everywhere IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

I think with the changes to TOS you're going to see less and less borederline cases, which when you think about it, is actually a good thing. It doesn't really matter that LL are not as focused on avatars that look say 16 or 17, you'll most likely find that sim owners on A sims will do the policing for them. People have already mentioned that happening in this thread. 

Nobody who isn't perverted wants anything to do with that sort of thing, adult and child avarars alike, so everyone is going to be a lot more cautious. Again, this is probably a good thing. 

The thing is most women find femininity to be cute, youthful young adults that are still in their 18 -20s, this too can look like 16 - 17 to some people, even younger as you saw in this forum. I doubt people will act on the look since most of them look like this as an adult, in and adult avatar in an adult setting. You can see this all over flickr and Twitter accounts for S.L.

It's even harder in 3D because 3D isn't real life so telling age is way much more harder.

Edited by Starberry Passion

3 minutes ago, ErwinVonVlotho said:

Of course they do; not acting on them all would be like juggling legal grenades with the pins pulled. But "acting on" does not mean banning the subject of the AR. Everyone who gets ARd is a customer. Banning them will lose money and SL is a business. They're not going to ban anyone on an unsupported AR alone.

No, there really aren't that many at all. And, once again, LL are not looking for excuses to ban people. It is not in their interests to do that.

I believe this is all true. But Governance is not infallible (I know: shocking!) and they're surely processing way more than their usual volume of reports, maybe with extra staff not yet fully familiar with procedure. If it were me, I'd try pretty hard to not get an AR right now.

Unless I were to take up adfarming. This is probably a perfect opportunity to practice that hobby without any pesky interference from Governance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2