So what changed in the Terms of Service?

Just now, BriannaLovey said:

Read the new requirements closely. People like him are now required to wear a skin that has odd-colored blotches on the groin area, and to replace any of his clothing if it has a genital bump. This could mean anywhere between $10 and $1000 in real money gets flushed down the drain because of a TOS change.

I stand corrected if that's right, and actually being clothed isn't sufficient to comply with the new rules.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

its called a false flag, create a crisis, pretend someone else did it, then implement policy changes you had planned on doing anyway.

That method is plausible but I doubt it's true in this case. If it were, one particular name would not have been mentioned/accused. I can't see LL doing that against one of their own, just to pave the way for some new rules. It wouldn't have been necessary.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

This is all LL's fault.

No not their fault, but they provided a place where it could happen, and didn't act by maintaining their own rules in a consequent way. They try to correct that now;

i trust they did make this changes after overthinking and calculating every possibility.

i'm not really surprised ...

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, brodiac90 said:

The rules go further and require content creators to update child avatars so that the new modesty layer is locked in to the body itself. It cannot be transparent, cannot be the same colour as skin but most importantly MUST NEVER BE ABLE TO BE REMOVED. 

Child avis must be using an updated body from June 30 or will be banned. It's not as simple as put on some undies. I already wear BOM ones.... 

Given the number of skins already available for various bodies it would seem the only viable solution is for creators of kid avatar bodies to remove certain polygons from the body UV and apply a separate material to them which could then be set to a solid color.

That would allow people to keep using their existing skins rather than having to replace them.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Phil Deakins said:

I stand corrected if that's right, and actually being clothed isn't sufficient to comply with the new rules.

I actually pointed that out on page 21, together with what would be required to comply.

It's basically the same as bikini clad characters in games who don't have "naughty areas" under the bikini.

People ignored that and kept claiming "wear bom panties you'll be fine".

Apparently people didn't actually read LL's announcement, and think wearing bom is good enough despite LL clearly saying that the modesty layer cannot be removable from the child avatar.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I actually pointed that out on page 21, together with what would be required to comply.

I admit to not having read most of this extraordinary thread, and I missed it :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Just now, Phil Deakins said:

I admit to not having read read most of this extraordinary thread, and I missed it :)

So did Coffee, so I reposted it about, oh 30 or 40 pages later, it's getting kind of fuzzy now what page stuff was on TBH.

12 minutes ago, BriannaLovey said:

This could mean anywhere between $10 and $1000 in real money gets flushed down the drain because of a TOS change.

ehm ... éven when you need to buy ten new body skins with patch it wont be close to the 1000 dollars you write.. 
To start you need only one, thats at most a few dollars... and ok, one adult one for the adult regions... two skins to start... less as ten dollars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

its called a false flag, create a crisis, pretend someone else did it, then implement policy changes you had planned on doing anyway.

Id give rl examples, but its agsinst the rules 😁

I'm gonna guess that the one that started the rumors and went to so much work to try and make them stick, was the one looking for change..

They prolly broke as hell and the couch dinnint hab anymore so they went lookin for sum!! \o/

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

ehm ... éven when you need to buy ten new body skins with patch it wont be close to the 1000 dollars you write.. 
To start you need only one, thats at most a few dollars... and ok, one adult one for the adult regions... two skins to start... less as ten dollars.

Since these people like to boast about how they NEVER get naked, or go to "filthy A rated places", they don't need to buy an adult skin, if they need n adult avatar, they can use the Noob Island issue SuxRa avatars from the library.

Cost zero dollars.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A couple of kid body makers haven't been seen in SL for a a long time, one of these bodies being incredibly expensive body. These bodies and associated clothing/accessories may never be updated to be compliant. I really hope LL factors that they may be forcing people to throw hundreds of dollars of body, accessories, clothing, skins in the trash into their final decision.

A handful of people I know are potentially quitting for this very reason. I know I wouldn't stick around either if I was forced to get rid of an avatar I've worn everyday and it's associated monetary costs because of something I had nothing to do with.

Hell, the amount of money I've spent on Legacy and Maitreya clothing and accessories over the years is easily in the thousands. Not to mention mesh heads. And niche bodies like anime bodies. Also the years of pre-mesh body content. If I lost/was forced to get rid of any of that I'd quit in a heartbeat.

Edited by Leslie Trihey
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

And all the old content? Is the magic mesh fairy going to give me linens if I put it all under my pillow? 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

That method is plausible but I doubt it's true in this case. If it were, one particular name would not have been mentioned/accused. I can't see LL doing that against one of their own, just to pave the way for some new rules. It wouldn't have been necessary.

lets say its wasnt an actual false flag, lets say it was a legitimate post by someone with a grudge, but LL’s response is totally out of line with the accusation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

A couple of kid body makers haven't been seen in SL for a a long time, one of these bodies being incredibly expensive body. These bodies and associated clothing/accessories may never be updated to be compliant. I really hope LL factors that they may be forcing people to throw hundreds of dollars of body, accessories, clothing, skins in the trash into their final decision.

A handful of people I know are potentially quitting for this very reason. I know I wouldn't stick around either if I was forced to get rid of an avatar I've worn everyday and it's associated monetary costs because of something I had nothing to do with.

Hell, the amount of money I've spent on Legacy and Maitreya clothing and accessories over the years is easily in the thousands. Not to mention mesh heads. And niche bodies like anime bodies. Also the years of pre-mesh body content. If I lost/was forced to get rid of any of that I'd quit in a heartbeat.

Honestly, if they are charging a lot for those bodies and aren't in SL anymore.. It's probably good to flag those items on the MP, if they are on the MP. Mainly so others don't come along that  don't realized the rule changes made and waste their money on something not allowed anymore..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just to clarify, for the benefit of latecomers... Earlier I said...

"So, in SL here is what you do.

Take your pint sized anti-adult-activities griefer avatar, cut holes in it where the naughty bits that must never bee seen are, cover the holes with built in mesh "modest" underwear.

Make the non naughty bits of the skin bom, make the underwear layers hud textures only, make the whole body NO MOD, ensure NONE of the underwear textures in the hud are "flesh coloured"."

This means you DON'T need to buy a new bom skin, as a bom skin with painted undies does not comply with the new rules.

Your old bom skin will be fine as the naughty bits that must not be seen, won't as the polygons they would have been on are not there any more, and the void is covered by the new built in underwear.

That's for the ones who bought from  Child Avatar Enabler merchants who still operate and update before June 30th.

For the ones using abandoned fossil-ware bodies. time to go shopping.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

Here is the news headline LL fears most

Major pedo ring infiltrated and broken.

Police officers infiltrated a secret discord group dedicated to swapping photos of nude children.

After a exhaustive investigation, they managed ascertain the ringleader and with a search warrant raided his home and confiscated his computer.

A search found a file containing 10,000 photos of naked underage Second Life avatars.

The police press agent agent said this sick puppy will be going away for a long long time.

The agent assured the public that no actual RL children were in any of the photos.

He continued, we know its all just toons, but he still broke the law.

———————-

THAT is LL’s reasoning that child avatars should never be naked.

coming soon…. Chris Hanson sets up a sting in SL to catch predators  trying to do the nasty with 15 yr olds 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You've been saying stuff about being banned from SL for being short for a couple of years now at least.

So, if that's true, why are you still here?

Its my 6 inch heels, everyone thinks I’m 6 ft tall 😂

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It didn't sound bogus to me, though it may have been. Is there a reason why you think it was bogus?

Either way, it's had a good effect, imo.

Oh, a bunch of reasons. One cited earlier in this thread involved repetition of allegations already debunked in court from a source it cited as if reputable. It also named one conspicuously false target; whenever that name comes up in any context you can be sure it's all part of the same vendetta having nothing to do with underage anything. But the one that had me laughing: dredge it up on the Wayback Machine, check out the magical forensic properties it ascribes to a UUID, and ask yourself "how would that really work?"

If you have too much time, read the whole piece for "voice": how many pens were involved? The seams are pretty rough, leaving the strong impression of basement gamers dueling for how outlandish a tale they could concoct and still convince readers starving for anything bad about Second Life and Linden Lab.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

The rules go further and require content creators to update child avatars so that the new modesty layer is locked in to the body itself. It cannot be transparent, cannot be the same colour as skin but most importantly MUST NEVER BE ABLE TO BE REMOVED. 

Child avis must be using an updated body from June 30 or will be banned. It's not as simple as put on some undies. I already wear BOM ones.... 

Hence the forced arbitration terms. LL doesn't want to let the people who they took stuff from file any class action lawsuits. Other companies like Roku have done the same thing when they are about to make anti-user decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Just to clarify, for the benefit of latecomers... Earlier I said...

"So, in SL here is what you do.

Take your pint sized anti-adult-activities griefer avatar, cut holes in it where the naughty bits that must never bee seen are, cover the holes with built in mesh "modest" underwear.

Make the non naughty bits of the skin bom, make the underwear layers hud textures only, make the whole body NO MOD, ensure NONE of the underwear textures in the hud are "flesh coloured"."

This means you DON'T need to buy a new bom skin, as a bom skin with painted undies does not comply with the new rules.

Your old bom skin will be fine as the naughty bits that must not be seen, won't as the polygons they would have been on are not there any more, and the void is covered by the new built in underwear.

That's for the ones who bought from  Child Avatar Enabler merchants who still operate and update before June 30th.

For the ones using abandoned fossil-ware bodies. time to go shopping.

Just casually drop a bunch of money replacing years of content. Simple.

drake-computer.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Coo thousands? Depending on which currency  its almost worth having customers.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Coo thousands? Depending on which currency  its almost worth having customers.

For the purely business minded (even if they don't like kids), there is a real market for kid avis / skins and items that meet LL's new rules and kids tend to spend all their money on one avatar rather than across many alts. I've spent over L$300,000 (whatever that is in your currency) on my avatar, mesh heads, hair, clothes, skins, shapes, acessories, toys, teddy bears, games, PG furniture etc. Over 6 years L$300 here and L$400 there adds up.

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 3