The real secret of Second Life

38 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The better answer is that like the pictured mirror, most will not see themself because of denial. "everybody else has the problem, not me!" But we are all human and prone to the same motivations.

Caveats*:

- Not murder

- Not cruelty

- Not physical abuse

- Not belittling others

- Not assuming one's superiority based on race, gender, age, nationality, sexuality, politics, etc.

- etc.

Otherwise, sounds good!

*If you think everyone has the above issues, then, you are more cynical than I am.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Caveats*:

- Not murder

- Not cruelty

- Not physical abuse

- Not belittling others

- Not assuming one's superiority based on race, gender, age, nationality, sexuality, politics, etc.

- etc.

Otherwise, sounds good!

*If you think everyone has the above issues, then, you are more cynical than I am.

Or just more familiar with 1John 1:8.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yeah..if I understand, we should not criticize Trolls and griefers because nobody is perfect / without sin.

Good one!

Edited by Love Zhaoying

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Actually, I'd consider your mirror post as more trolling than most anything Love posts.  Frequent posts don't equate to trolling. 

trolling is when someone comments or responds to something you post, usually in a confrontational way that is designed to garner a strong, emotional reaction

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Actually, I'd consider your mirror post as more trolling than most anything Love posts.  Frequent posts don't equate to trolling. 

trolling is when someone comments or responds to something you post, usually in a confrontational way that is designed to garner a strong, emotional reaction

Thanks.

I've been called out and warned - specifically - for even APPEARING to intentionally annoy someone before.  Only once. If quoting bible verses isn't doing that, I don't know what is!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, the original topic makes me wonder whether SL is actually all that addicting in the way that most social media is nowadays. On one, there's the social interaction and this can't be understated in how addicting it can be but I feel like it "misses" a crucial component to really tickle our brain:

Little dopamine hits for everything we do.

For example, post something on Twitter and you will get people liking your tweet, maybe scream at you (let's be real, it's twitter, someone, somewhere is gonna be mighty offended at the idea of people breathing oxygen and bring the thirty tweet chain to explain why you and I need to be cancelled). These interactions are what's so addicting. Same with Flickr, post a picture and number goes up as well as people interact with it, even if it's just clicking a little star icon. That feels good and that feel good effect is addictive.

If I look at SL, it doesn't do these things. Not on it's own and thus the addiction it brings is less based on exploitative dopamine interactions and more based on the actual joy of social interaction. While addictive, I kind of think that's a plus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

So, the original topic makes me wonder whether SL is actually all that addicting in the way that most social media is nowadays. On one, there's the social interaction and this can't be understated in how addicting it can be but I feel like it "misses" a crucial component to really tickle our brain:

For example, post something on Twitter and you will get people liking your tweet, maybe scream at you (let's be real, it's twitter, someone, somewhere is gonna be mighty offended at the idea of people breathing oxygen and bring the thirty tweet chain to explain why you and I need to be cancelled). These interactions are what's so addicting. Same with Flickr, post a picture and number goes up as well as people interact with it, even if it's just clicking a little star icon. That feels good and that feel good effect is addictive.

If I look at SL, it doesn't do these things. Not on it's own and thus the addiction it brings is less based on exploitative dopamine interactions and more based on the actual joy of social interaction. While addictive, I kind of think that's a plus.

I found it "kind of addicting" my first few years, my partner at the time was addicted enough that he had troubles with school (Uni in his country).  His life turned out OK anyway, thankfully.  

Prior to SL I was "addicted" to earlier "Social" platforms for chat, etc.  

So yeah, even in JUST the "Social" aspects of SL - without the shopping, "gaming" (aka "gambling" by any other name), "sex", etc. aspects - Second Life CAN indeed be "addictive" (without the quotes).   I believe that 100%.

I am just surprised anyone (the OP) would be "surprised" by this as if it were a "secret".  Kind of like, the recent controversies were about some "secret" aspect of Second Life.  

I am basically asserting that this stuff ain't a secret.  Just like, other stuff people do on computers "can" be "addictive" - and that ain't no secret, either.

• Like 2

While addiction and Second Life are the topic, there is no "straight line connection" between "religion" and "addiction" in modern culture.

12-Step programs only acknowledge a "higher power", but do not define it or reference any particular religion or holy book.

So, IMHO the Bible verses are not really on topic, unless one were to follow some path such as the "casting" for the "I Ching" (using yarrow sticks or bronze coins), and pick random verses to answer all of life's questions.  In that case - sure, anyone could find bible verses for any topic.  But they are neither "secret", nor about Second Life.

https://www.wuweiwisdom.com/how-to-use-the-i-ching/

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Spelling

For some reason I'm reminded that Tristan Tzara pulling cut up words out of a hat once started a riot, supposedly wrecked the theater too.

source: https://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88v/burroughs-cutup.html

(I suspect the topic was somewhat about SL being a game and that this is such a well-kept secret, as well..could have gone any number of multiple directions, to be fair)

(or maybe it's a collection of games within games, like all else, even the rules we go by)

Edited by Ineffable Mote

• Moles

Hi gang --

Things got a little off track and testy for a while, so I've had to do some trimming. Please remember that differences of opinion are normal and welcome here, but personal attacks are not. That might qualify as one of the best secrets that make SL different from many social platforms.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Dyna Mole said:

Hi gang --

Things got a little off track and testy for a while, so I've had to do some trimming. Please remember that differences of opinion are normal and welcome here, but personal attacks are not. That might qualify as one of the best secrets that make SL different from many social platforms.

Thank you for sharing the secret!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dyna Mole said:

Hi gang --

I thought it felt like I was missing some posts. 😄  Thank you for your clean-up on aisle 3.

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2024 at 8:08 PM, PheebyKatz said:
On 4/25/2024 at 4:34 PM, Luna Bliss said:

Agreed, you can grow from existing in the negative for awhile -- it points to what one doesn't want in life.  What I find upsetting is when people stay stuck in a negative pattern and can't grow/move on.  Some do, sadly.  One thing for sure, you'll keep butting up against the problem until you do change!

It would be interesting to know of those who became addicted to SL and used it to basically hide from life, yet moved on to use SL in healthy ways that fostered a better way of existing.

I should read all the pages before posting in threads. Seriously.

For what it's worth, I used to be one of the most toxic people on the internet. All of the worst that exudes from people originates in pain, and when they try to connect with others as a way of easing the pain, and the toxicity leaks around and drives others away, a person who can't see that they are the one who needs to heal their own heart will tend to simply take it out on everyone else.

It's a desperate attempt to cling to a false self-image created to explain why people don't like you without it being all your own fault. At least in my own experience it was.

I was powerful, smart, capable,  charismatic, and charming, and the rest of the internet were the pheebs. How dare they not realize how great I am? I'll show them all!

Every troll I've ever met in SL was like meeting myself in a past life. Like looking at old pictures of myself.

I like to think Second Life has helped me to make some positive changes in how I view myself, others, and the world. If it hadn't, my friends list would be empty. So yeah. I may not be all that good at being a friend, but then I hadn't much practice back in childhood when everyone else was learning how to do that. The difference between now and then is that I actually want to be a friend to others and not just have friends for myself.

I loved hearing your story, and am so happy you are doing well now!  ♥

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

I think I can tell when I'm getting a dopamine rush. I get it from 'Likes" and responses on social media, including this forum. A contentous debate in a thread can do it too. It's like verbal sparring, so I get a rush when I feel like I've won a point, logically or socially. Being able to calm down a conflict feels good and like a "win" for me. Getting someone who's been irritating me to STFU by ignoring them feels good too.

I don't have these kinds of verbal battles in SL though. In SL I get a dopamine rush from getting a bunch of good free stuff, especially from free store credit. SL is more often calming than exciting for me. It lets me forget about RL worries while I focus on my avatars and their inventories or just explore or ride the rails, listening to music or the sound atmosphere as I disengage mentally from RL.

There have been times in my past when I was definitely addicted to SL. I remember feeling agitated before I got online, then relaxing once I connected to SL, much like a drug addict getting their hit. Lately however, I can go days without going into SL, but I want my dopamine "hit" on my phone, mostly switching between the SL forums & YouTube.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

An interesting article on how to become "addicted" to the right things, although I still balk at using the term 'addiction' when developing a 'habit' seems more appropriate. Anyway, SL can become a  good habit if you wish it to be so.

https://www.deprocrastination.co/blog/choose-your-addiction

I thought every 'addict' you ever met was miserable! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

While addiction and Second Life are the topic, there is no "straight line connection" between "religion" and "addiction" in modern culture.

12-Step programs only acknowledge a "higher power", but do not define it or reference any particular religion or holy book.

So, IMHO the Bible verses are not really on topic, unless one were to follow some path such as the "casting" for the "I Ching" (using yarrow sticks or bronze coins), and pick random verses to answer all of life's questions.  In that case - sure, anyone could find bible verses for any topic.  But they are neither "secret", nor about Second Life.

https://www.wuweiwisdom.com/how-to-use-the-i-ching/

The books you are terming as religious or holy books are books of wisdom and human nature and as such contain quite a bit of insight into various addictions and their root causes. The problem is they went from being seen as books of wisdom to religious books by people who liked everything being black and white, where life is not like that. What is good for one, might be addictive for another and therefore not so good.

The trick is in having the humility to recognize when one has stepped over the line into addictive behaviour.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think I can tell when I'm getting a dopamine rush. I get it from 'Likes" and responses on social media, including this forum. A contentous debate in a thread can do it too. It's like verbal sparring, so I get a rush when I feel like I've won a point, logically or socially. Being able to calm down a conflict feels good and like a "win" for me. Getting someone who's been irritating me to STFU by ignoring them feels good too.

I don't have these kinds of verbal battles in SL though. In SL I get a dopamine rush from getting a bunch of good free stuff, especially from free store credit. SL is more often calming than exciting for me. It lets me forget about RL worries while I focus on my avatars and their inventories or just explore or ride the rails, listening to music or the sound atmosphere as I disengage mentally from RL.

There have been times in my past when I was definitely addicted to SL. I remember feeling agitated before I got online, then relaxing once I connected to SL, much like a drug addict getting their hit. Lately however, I can go days without going into SL, but I want my dopamine "hit" on my phone, mostly switching between the SL forums & YouTube.

Here's a Secret about SL Addiction:  

A Second Life 'addict' can almost always identify with one of the Seven Dwarfs!

Sleepy - Too much Second Life.

Grumpy - Not enough Second Life.

Dopey - Dopamine rush from Second Life (Shopping, Slex, building, exploring..).

Bashful - This is not a "real thing". You are roleplaying being 'bashful' in Second Life, probably with an Alt.

Sneezy - Allergic to Second Life drama.

Doc - An enabler, provides your Second Life 'fix'.

Happy - Just enough Second Life.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

An interesting article on how to become "addicted" to the right things, although I still balk at using the term 'addiction' when developing a 'habit' seems more appropriate. Anyway, SL can become a  good habit if you wish it to be so.

Help us understand how this relates to Second Life.

Assuming, that the OP is saying "addition to Second Life is bad".

Happiness and feel goods are their own form of suffering, I have heard it said.

(I was half-tempted to point out Ephesians 6:12 earlier as being decent words to love by, live by also, that was a typo, but translations tend to matter on such things plus I'm a bit weary of spiritual bypassings too but those are different cans of worms that maybe don't need opening here, on topic or not)

Edited by Ineffable Mote
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why are you putting a stigma on a mental health issue? There are people who are actually addicted and can't differentiate between reality and fantasy. Who need help. I mean sure it can both be a good habit and an addiction, but the fact that you are disregarding any person who actually needs help and needs to get off of SL. 

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
51 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I thought every 'addict' you ever met was miserable! 

Yes, every addict I've known (talking about someone actually addicted and not just embodying a habit they'd rather not have) has been miserable.
1. Miserable:  severely unhappy or uncomfortable.
Humans need to have a measure of control over their lives in order to feel happy, and  so feeling out of control in major ways is threatening and beyond uncomfortable. Nothing spells 'out of control' better than true addiction -- addicts are a slave to something outside themselves, and often with dire consequence.

Maybe you are thinking of another definition of 'miserable'.
2. Miserable: inadequate, meager, insufficient, pathetic

It should have been obvious from previous context that I'm going by definition number 1, as I expressed great empathy for those with mental health issues repeatedly and have never condemned them or thought them 'pathetic'.

When someone is an enemy, Love, there's a tendency to interpret their comments in a negative fashion, and you did this when you totally ignored context.

I think most people in SL are simply choosing one habit/entertainment over another and are not 'addicts' in the true sense of the word -- addiction is a much more severe type of habit.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

TLDR ( Too Luna, Didn't Read )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1