Resiliency In Second Life

2 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

When I am feeling stressed  in SL I play other games such as this one. It really helps with some of the people on SL that frustrate me.

Some people enjoy taking out their frustrations by virtually shooting things up. For me, playing a game like that one would just make me feel even more stressed out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was just thinking, possibly some of the emphasis on "nature" / sacred spaces in SL would make more sense if those didn't still exist in RL. So one day in a dystopian future, without the RL resources for reflection and escape - the arguments will make more sense.

And of course, many probably don't have access to RL sacred spaces / "escapes" even today, for various reasons.

If I think really really hard, I start to see it, but then I've had to fill in the gaps of someone else's examples with my own reasoning. 👍🏾😺

Actually, I don't think the virtual places work for us unless we have a RL memory for them to remind us of. Maybe if a virtual world could fully engage all our senses they could, but with the limited engagement of our senses that SL provides, we have to rely on memory to fill in the missing pieces.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Some people enjoy taking out their frustrations by virtually shooting things up. For me, playing a game like that one would just make me feel even more stressed out.

Fair enough. :) We all have different ways of dealing with things in SL and RL. Not one thing is wrong  or the incorrect way.  Normally if I get frustrated or upset in SL it tells me that I have been on too long and that is a cue to log out and get some RL sleep. I quite often wake up refreshed the next day ready to tackle another day of silliness on a platform I love.  One thing I have learned though is that what strangers on the internet think of me is none of my business. I even have it in my profile.  It has made coping with stupidity a whole lot easier since.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The Kipling poem cites ways we are or can be resilient in our lives. As I said, you can utilize some of those points in that poem or cite your own coping mechanisms that you utilize in SL to deal with stress (whether the stress you want to deal with occurs in SL or RL, this is a discussion about how SL can help us cope).

Your posts mainly serve to confuse people and distract...I wish you'd stop.

I'd prefer that you simply cite if anything helps you deal with stress in SL.  If nothing does, fine, but no need to keep challenging what I'm asking for here.

Quite an overreaction, I thought we were making progress understanding "the point". Guess I'm just more patient. 

If I get bored or tired of SL, this is what I turn to..

It's usually just being bored or breaking up the monotony really to when I need a change..

Me and my husband will get the boys in there also and tear things up.. hehehe

We still do this anyways, but I'll go in there myself too if SL is really just not doing anything for me.

It's a great game and love how accurate  the maps are.

You can even go under the Lincoln memorial and in all the internal places.. Same with the white house and pretty much anywhere..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Your posts mainly serve to confuse people and distract...I wish you'd stop.

I'd prefer that you simply cite if anything helps you deal with stress in SL.  If nothing does, fine, but no need to keep challenging what I'm asking for here.

^^^This right here. I don't find @Love Zhaoying posts on this topic confusing at all. Some of the jokes, I must admit, I have no clue what they are about but I am not confused by his posts on this topic.  You might want to change that or not....It really is not anyone's right to tell another how to respond to a post that is put on this forum and opened up for discussion; It isn't off topic for sure.

You, of all people, should not be asking people stop challenging what you say. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Actually, I don't think the virtual places work for us unless we have a RL memory for them to remind us of. Maybe if a virtual world could fully engage all our senses they could, but with the limited engagement of our senses that SL provides, we have to rely on memory to fill in the missing pieces.

I keep thinking about my favorite music video of a dystopian future, where the family is in space and uses crude AR to make the food substitutes look more real. The child complains that he wants the "real" food..the video ends with the father going ape, ecstatic over viewing a secret, hidden plant that turns actual colors when watered.

Such people can't escape to the RL.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

lol Ceka.

I have a confession to make -- sometimes I go into VR (in a game with the headset) and shoot up all these clay pots. The sound they make when exploding is amazing and satisfying   :)

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think you might be invested in viewing SL as having more importance in your life than many other people feel it has in theirs. I love having SL as part of my life, but I think being in RL nature is more grounding and healing for me than being in a virtual recreation of nature.

If one can't get to the coast in RL, a virtual beach with surf sounds might be sufficient, but it's not really as good as the real thing. I love my little house in SL, but it's not a substitute for a RL home where I can feel safe and comfortable. 

It's likely true that many don't place as much importance in SL as I do. I've encountered a few envious people along the way who wished it could be that for them.  I just say to them "anything is what you make it"!

Nature in SL is not a substitute for the real thing, true. I have an extensive RL garden with a pond even, and winding paths through it I created myself. Even have a catio for kitties to enjoy the outdoors with safety.

I do wish I could experience mountains and the ocean more in RL, but sadly I am severely landlocked where I live and so can only visit those in SL.

Part of the reason nature is so important to me is that this is my focus creatively -- nature art. And art is super important to me. Nature also serves as a ritual space for my spirituality, and that is another important part of my life.

Years ago I participated in a Yoga group where I live, and Kirtan was frequent. Sadly that group moved on, and so I was elated to discover that a very good Kirtan experience was available right here in our little world...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Since you're a practicing pagan, do itttttt!    :)

51 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

That game for sure would...make me more stressed...

But those clay pots exploding....wow!  Maybe I should go out in my garage and hurl plates to the cement when frustrated...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

lol Ceka.

I have a confession to make -- sometimes I go into VR (in a game with the headset) and shoot up all these clay pots. The sound that make when exploding is amazing and satisfying   :)

I really like the game because of how accurate the maps are.. The ones that designed the two games they have, did Manhattan and the second game they did washington DC and then an expansion of a different part of New York.. Cony island and all kinds of places there..

They did a lot of real life group work mapping..

The first game was about the collapse of the U.S., because of a virus that someone concocted to wipe out a lot of the population..

They put it on money and then put it in circulation on black friday.. So that one takes place in the winter.. They did such a great job with the weather in that game..

The second was in Washington D.C and more about  the aftermath and evolution of groups and gangs that formed over time..

The rabbit hole gets pretty deep..

I just really loved exploring New York and going inside famous places.. The same with Washington D.C...

And ya it's fun shooting and blowing things up too though.. hehehe

This was the opening of the first one when you start the game.. Like 3 years later covid hit and a lot of what happened, happened.. Just not as drastic.. But the governments and things acted the same way..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

If I get bored or tired of SL, this is what I turn to..

It's usually just being bored or breaking up the monotony really to when I need a change..

We still do this anyways, but I'll go in there myself too if SL is really just not doing anything for me.

It's a great game and love how accurate  the maps are.

You can even go under the Lincoln memorial and in all the internal places.. Same with the white house and pretty much anywhere..

Thanks! This is now on my Steam wish list!

• Like 1

Okay, so I misinterpreted the point of this whole thread.  After reading the OP, I thought the question was "when you are stressed in SL how do you cope?"  The answer "log out" seemed to be the best answer. I am not aware of anyone who logs in to feel stressed out. Why would they?

I now think the question is "When you are feeling stress (in any life) how do you use SL to cope?

With that, I use SL to calm my mind when it is racing by being alone and doing something easy and repetitive like sorting inventory or torturing a prim.  I find something to focus on.

If I've just had a bad day, I'll log in to find a friend who will listen to me complain without judgement or advice. The "no advice" part is important. I rarely want someone to solve my problem. 

If im restless and it's icy outside, so a trip to the gym or a hike is not going to happen, I'll log in for an adventure or loud music.

When I feel like I can't do anything right, I'll log in and find a noob to help or a stranger and do something to make them smile.

SL is an active experience unlike just sitting and watching a movie play. You have to push buttons, move around, and/or control your view, and make active choices to do things.  SL works best when you actively participate in it even if you do things alone.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
Spelling, added stuff, put in a question mark, questioned every single comma
  • Like 5

Well I just left SL stressed out because doing my Kirtan rehearsal inworld wore me out!  Now I'm recuperating and building up my resiliency by logging into the forum and seeing what Cinnamon wrote...  :)   Good thing it was a kind post...

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Okay, so I misinterpreted the point of this whole thread.  After reading the OP, I thought the question was "when you are stressed in SL how do you cope?"  The answer "log out" seemed to be the best answer. I am not aware of anyone who logs in to feel stressed out. Why would they?

I now think the question is "When you are feeling stress (in any life) how do you use SL to cope?

(Snip from original post)

We all encounter difficult experiences in SL -- what helps you cope and develop resilience? Do you recognize patterns in the poem that relate to how you manage difficult situations in SL, and/or do you have coping strategies of your own to share?

________

I like your answer Cinnamon but you understand the question asked correctly the first time you read it.

• Thanks 1

SL is porous! What we are is "sponged in and sponged out." Our better angels or our worst demons play out on the stage in SL and, sometimes, all the skills we learn in SL informs our RL making our lives a little better. 

I've been in SL for 16 years. I've  grown through many issues both personally and socially with all my connections in SL. I developed a mental image of all avatars with funnels above their heads where each filters everything from the widest brim (the top) to the spout (at the bottom). We all have criteria by which we critique SL, what we allow, what we won't allow, and the "oh, hell no's" we just won't tolerate. AS I navigate my way I don't judge so much as  i decide what fits me and what does not fit me. If things get too far out of hand I rely on my fav B.B.R.: Block, Ban, Report!

SL is filled with amazing people, brilliant people, creative people but SL is, also, very similar to RL in that the spectrum encompasses all forms of ideas, behaviors and actions (many of which we just don't like). We each have to decide who we want in our SL life and who we're gonna bar just to feel safe!

So, if the analogy of wearing a funnel on your head, and seeing everyone else "funneling" along with you - it's okay to make decisions that suit you, that fit you, that make you feel good and keep you coming back to SL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Thanks! This is now on my Steam wish list!

You should try The Division 1 first also. That is if you haven't already. So much is tied to the first one. Plus the survival mode is a lot of fun too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angelor Galanter said:

SL is porous! What we are is "sponged in and sponged out." Our better angels or our worst demons play out on the stage in SL and, sometimes, all the skills we learn in SL informs our RL making our lives a little better. 

I've been in SL for 16 years. I've  grown through many issues both personally and socially with all my connections in SL. I developed a mental image of all avatars with funnels above their heads where each filters everything from the widest brim (the top) to the spout (at the bottom). We all have criteria by which we critique SL, what we allow, what we won't allow, and the "oh, hell no's" we just won't tolerate. AS I navigate my way I don't judge so much as  i decide what fits me and what does not fit me. If things get too far out of hand I rely on my fav B.B.R.: Block, Ban, Report!

SL is filled with amazing people, brilliant people, creative people but SL is, also, very similar to RL in that the spectrum encompasses all forms of ideas, behaviors and actions (many of which we just don't like). We each have to decide who we want in our SL life and who we're gonna bar just to feel safe!

So, if the analogy of wearing a funnel on your head, and seeing everyone else "funneling" along with you - it's okay to make decisions that suit you, that fit you, that make you feel good and keep you coming back to SL.

What a thoughtful answer...thank you!    :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Has anyone suggested hanging out with the Tiny community?

They should be a stable, low-stress lot (at least from their representatives here on the Forum).

That's about right.  The only stresses I've had there lately have been last-minute changes to the planned explorations and my party venue.  I can't remember the last time I got any stress from the community, which might be because we're generally older and wiser than your average SL resident. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've run into some difficult situations inworld, and generally I analyze my actions/ reactions, remind myself that I am limited to my own understanding of the situation (at least to an extent), generally land on the most charitable interpretation of the issue, and move on. 

Then again, that's what I do RL as well.  Extending grace to others is my standard practice; goodness knows I've benefited from that enough myself. I think my only issue with this thread is... why is this a thing?  Why is developing resiliency in SL any different from RL?  It's all just life.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

I think my only issue with this thread is... why is this a thing?  Why is developing resiliency in SL any different from RL?  It's all just life.

I am not trying to answer for the OP, but after a lot of back and forth, I think they were looking for "how do you deal with SL stress IN SL".  (Confusing, I know.)

• Like 1