Flying on Login...do we have a schedule for this to be fixed?

Hot off the press:

[12:02] Rider Linden: So. This week in simulator land we bounced the main channel this morning.  Tomorrow morning we're going to be doing the same with most of the RC channels.  The exception is that we will be rolling the materials update to the Preflight channel for some inital main grid testing.
[12:03] Rider Linden: That update includes both mirrors and PBR terrain.  We'll turn on 2K textures soon after but we hit a couple things that need to be fixed and gotten through QA before that happens.
[12:03] Rider Linden: On deck we have the RTC Voice which will also start out on a snack channel rather than a full RC.
[12:04] Rider Linden: And waiting in the wings is the Spring Break simulator.
[12:04] Rider Linden: So.  With all that, unless there are any announcements from the other Lindens I can open the floor.  What's on the agenda today?
[12:05] Qie Niangao: of the various updates, do any fix the hovering-at-login thing?
[12:05] Rider Linden: Yes.  (I still think that's an unintended feature) but there is a fix for that in Spring Break.

So no dates, but it's coming. Sequence of the snack/RC simulators aren't necessarily fixed (but I suspect they're pretty eager to get VoiceRTC out, whichever release it ends up in).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

All I will say is that it's almost no issue to me since I and my surroundings rez instantly.  However that is not true for others who apparently have to wait up to a minute for the click or movement "fix" to apply.  I doubt that they find it either pleasant or useful.  I am surprised that LL seem to consider it so insignificant (always assuming they DO know what causes it and how to fix it).

As the head of the Royle Family might've said "Unintended feature my arse."

Edited by Aishagain
  • Confused 2

Yes, I realize it's a bug and should be fixed but what does it actually hurt?  If you haven't rezzed yet, seems as if it would matter even less whether you were hovering or on the ground.  I don't even have to move at all.  Even before the scene has rezzed, I simply tap the screen somewhere and I've landed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Some people have been banned from a parcel for flying after a login.  I don't expect they find it a feature.

What would be the purpose of doing that?  Seems heavy handed to me and not a sim I'd want to visit anyway. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

What would be the purpose of doing that?  Seems heavy handed to me and not a sim I'd want to visit anyway. 

These are usually businesses or clubs that do not allow customers to fly and have flying turned off.  But if you fly into their parcel, or tp in and are in fly mode, they have a way to eject and ban you.  Sometimes they want you to walk thru their entire store, and not fly or TP to where you want to go.. You are forced to see all their amazing creations for sale then, at least I assume that is their plan.  I run into this in many inworld stores.  Usually shops that do not use MP to sell.  I think it is poor business practice, but this is SL - you will find every senseless business idea here from someone.   And if their store is laggy, from too many textures and poorly designed mesh, it can take 30 secs to even regain control of your browser.  If they set the flying timeout to 10 secs, you get ejected.  My world, my rules,  no common sense needed - nothing like RL.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

I'm given to understand that the "no fly" land attribute is just a hint to the viewer, not anything the simulation enforces. If that's true, then anyone who wants to preserve the "feature" might lobby their favorite TPV to create such a setting.

Come to think of it, I'd love a setting that made me arrive flying whenever I TP anywhere. If the landowner doesn't like it, ban me, see if I care.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Could it be....that easy? Gasps!

I've always thought it was rude to log in someplace like that anyway.  Logging in where you log out, if it's a busy place, is just rude.  Even if I crash for some odd reason, I'll relog back at home and return to where I was.  

Besides, unless a club or store owner has been living under a rock lately, they should know it's a bug.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've always thought it was rude to log in someplace like that anyway.  Logging in where you log out, if it's a busy place, is just rude.  Even if I crash for some odd reason, I'll relog back at home and return to where I was.  

Besides, unless a club or store owner has been living under a rock lately, they should know it's a bug.  

I was relieved that at least some Skin Fair regions allowed flying. Camming rows of booths only works until you get lost (forget where your cam is and have to start over). Flying != griefing!

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was relieved that at least some Skin Fair regions allowed flying. Camming rows of booths only works until you get lost (forget where your cam is and have to start over). Flying != griefing!

I love when events have benches scattered around.  I like to park myself, start in the furthest Northern area and work my way clock-wise, checking occasionally where my cam is on the minimap.  All that walking in heels is just tiring!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Camming rows of booths only works until you get lost (forget where your cam is and have to start over).

An attachment can keep a history of your last many distinct cam position and focus pairs. That part is easy and good enough to get back to where you were looking, say, five minutes ago. It's not necessary to sample the cam all that often, and only need to record anything if the cam moves, so it's pretty negligible as a lag contributor.

It gets a little trickier (but still not very resource intensive) to use llCastRay to try to identify what the cam is looking at. That can provide a readout of stuff the script can find out about the object (or land, or avatar) in view, and to tag some stored cam positions with object name identifiers. I find it handy for personal use, but it also unveils the many frustrating ways llCastRay runs amok. As a product, it would deserve a crappy rating, there's no fixing it, and it's beyond anyone's patience to explain why it's so often so confused.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

An attachment can keep a history of your last many distinct cam position and focus pairs. That part is easy and good enough to get back to where you were looking, say, five minutes ago. It's not necessary to sample the cam all that often, and only need to record anything if the cam moves, so it's pretty negligible as a lag contributor.

It gets a little trickier (but still not very resource intensive) to use llCastRay to try to identify what the cam is looking at. That can provide a readout of stuff the script can find out about the object (or land, or avatar) in view, and to tag some stored cam positions with object name identifiers. I find it handy for personal use, but it also unveils the many frustrating ways llCastRay runs amok. As a product, it would deserve a crappy rating, there's no fixing it, and it's beyond anyone's patience to explain why it's so often so confused.

I don't consider myself enough of a hard-code shopper to need what sounds like such complicated solutions!!

But this information certainly is interesting and "good to know".

The Cool VL Viewer v1.32.0.17 got a workaround for this and will actually log you in the same flying/non-flying state as when you logged out (also, this is a per-account setting in this viewer, unlike others which use a global setting: I fixed that silliness a little while ago).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

The Cool VL Viewer v1.32.0.17 got a workaround for this and will actually log you in the same flying/non-flying state as when you logged out (also, this is a per-account setting in this viewer, unlike others which use a global setting: I fixed that silliness a little while ago).

I'm curious - with your workaround, if you log out of a region that allows flying, and log back into a region that does not allow flying, do you login to the new region with the "flying state" even though AFAIK before the bug, that would not have been possible?

• Like 1