Jump to content

Can we have the release notes for 2024-03-18.8333615376


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Logan Elf said:

This is the 3rd week the 2024-03-18.8333615376 release notes have been unavailable. Now that this version is grid-wide, can we have them now. Pretty please.

I have one novelty I noticed, but that I don't think will be listed in the release notes:

  • On login (with any viewer), the avatars now always fly (*)

Annoying... 🤪

(*) Until you click with the mouse in-world, at which point the viewer will update the flying state; normally, the avatars should never be flying on login, and it is the viewer which sets the flying flag (if needed) and informs the server of this, based on a saved setting (the flying state is saved on logout in ”FlyingAtExit”)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Monty. 

1 hour ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

I have one novelty I noticed, but that I don't think will be listed in the release notes:

  • On login (with any viewer), the avatars now always fly (*)

Annoying... 🤪

(*) Until you click with the mouse in-world, at which point the viewer will update the flying state; normally, the avatars should never be flying on login, and it is the viewer which sets the flying flag (if needed) and informs the server of this, based on a saved setting (the flying state is saved on logout in ”FlyingAtExit”)...

A friend of mine was complaining to me about this. I personally haven't seen it (but that may just be because I've clicked something whilst waiting for my avatar to rez).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Logan Elf said:

On login (with any viewer), the avatars now always fly

I hadn't noticed it until it was exported to Main Server on Tuesday.  Yes is IS irritating, both for its existence and the fact that LL felt it was harmless enough to promote!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

I have one novelty I noticed, but that I don't think will be listed in the release notes:

  • On login (with any viewer), the avatars now always fly (*)

Annoying... 🤪

(*) Until you click with the mouse in-world, at which point the viewer will update the flying state; normally, the avatars should never be flying on login, and it is the viewer which sets the flying flag (if needed) and informs the server of this, based on a saved setting (the flying state is saved on logout in ”FlyingAtExit”)...

I saw this too and first thought I'd glitched something somewhere or had lifted a rug off the floor of my home or something. Annoying. Please revert to previous behaviour. What is the idea behind this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Wild guess: a playful Linden's April fool ? 🥳

 

9 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's a bug.

If I, for one moment, thought that LL were sufficiently in control of SL to be able to make the glitch deliberately as an April Fool jape, I'd want to know why so many other bugs go unfixed.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling: I kan't spel.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually try to arrive flying when I TP into a populated area, intending to quickly vacate a crowded landing point without inflicting much carnage. I'd be all in favor of keeping it as a feature, but starting out that way when first logging in is a little disorienting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I usually try to arrive flying when I TP into a populated area, intending to quickly vacate a crowded landing point without inflicting much carnage. I'd be all in favor of keeping it as a feature, but starting out that way when first logging in is a little disorienting.

It's not ideal for Mobile, because if you want to stop flying then you have to find / activate the "joystick" and click the "flying" icon to stop flying.

Unlike the normal viewer, press the "Home" key (Windows at least IIRC).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I usually try to arrive flying when I TP into a populated area, intending to quickly vacate a crowded landing point without inflicting much carnage. I'd be all in favor of keeping it as a feature, but starting out that way when first logging in is a little disorienting.

It was disorienting for about a second, figuring it was some funky glitch.  Didn't bother me the second time either and that was before I'd even read it was a bug.  I've had way more disturbing things happen when logging in over the years that I guess this just didn't even register as that big of a deal to me.  YMMV

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It was disorienting for about a second, figuring it was some funky glitch.  Didn't bother me the second time either and that was before I'd even read it was a bug.  I've had way more disturbing things happen when logging in over the years that I guess this just didn't even register as that big of a deal to me.  YMMV

My home is on an RC channel, so I noticed it before most people said anything, but figured it was just some spurious issue.  And when I saw it in the Mobile viewer, I figured it was just "yet another" bug in the Mobile viewer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I usually try to arrive flying when I TP into a populated area, intending to quickly vacate a crowded landing point without inflicting much carnage. I'd be all in favor of keeping it as a feature, but starting out that way when first logging in is a little disorienting.

The feature in question already existed !

Before this bug, when you were flying at logout, the viewer remembered it in its settings, and made you fly on next login...

 

7 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Fix this!  Fix it now before some idiots make content that depends on it!

LOL, yes, good point !...

Well, fixed (worked around) already in the Cool VL Viewer v1.32.0.17 I just released... 😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

The feature in question already existed !

Before this bug, when you were flying at logout, the viewer remembered it in its settings, and made you fly on next login...

Oh, now I see the confusion I caused. When this was first reported, for me it appeared to happen not only at login but also when I teleported to a new location, but apparently that wasn't a normal part of the bug, or at least I'm not seeing it now when I teleport. It was that quirky flying-after-teleporting behavior that I would have liked to keep as a feature, so we're not standing on top of the previous arrival. (It would still be congested at landing points, but the inevitable collisions would be a little less impactful if everybody were to arrive flying. On the other hand, that would completely defeat the kludgy little collision_start-triggered landing pad contraptions that try to slide new arrivals off to the side randomly.)

The flying-on-login thing doesn't make the viewer present a "stop flying" button, which was the part I found briefly disorienting.

(Now suddenly I'm curious about the specifics of what happens when teleporting in to a no-fly parcel when you were flying before the teleport. I vaguely recall that sometimes you stay flying and sometimes the parcel forces a ground landing. Maybe it depends on whether there's a landing zone or something even more obscure. Or maybe that was all a bug that got fixed at some point.)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Now suddenly I'm curious about the specifics of what happens when teleporting in to a no-fly parcel when you were flying before the teleport.

The ”no fly” parcel restriction is only ”enforced” viewer-side, and can actually be bypassed by enabling the ”Admin” mode (CTRL ALT V with most viewers).

So, if you are flying before a TP, you will keep flying on arrival: the server won't have any say in ”flying” matters and follows what the viewer tells it via the ”agent flags”. Thus why this ”flying on login” issue is a bug, and why the viewer does not ”reflect” the flying status with its UI in this particular case.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

zomg yall are bugging the lindens over floating while logging in? i think theres more serious issues to focus on then to fix a floating issue.
So ya float on login, not a big deal eh

Fixing PBR related bugs so firestorm can release a update is kinda a big deal.
My issue is loading speed but thats because im caching to my hard drive instead of my SSD.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, VenKellie said:

zomg yall are bugging the lindens over floating while logging in? i think theres more serious issues to focus on then to fix a floating issue.
So ya float on login, not a big deal eh

Fixing PBR related bugs so firestorm can release a update is kinda a big deal.
My issue is loading speed but thats because im caching to my hard drive instead of my SSD.

Absolutely!  For numerous reasons, it's best to fix new bugs before they become part of the infrastructure and are depended upon by later developments.  PRB is probably still close enough to the surface for this to apply.  Besides, we have already been told the floating bug is being fixed.  We are just amusing ourselves by pretending it will be fixed at our behest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...