2024 Faster fps without spending money (: "NOT FOR LAPTOPS"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"THIS IS NOT FOR LAPTOP THEY HAVE RESTRICTED COOLING".

If you spent a fortune on your pc and your fps is only 60 then I have the fix for you assuming you monitor goes above 60hts refresh rate.

Turn off vsync in manage 3d settings and in also the fire storm viewer and also turn off  freesync and G-sync With those enabled you fps will be that of the monitors refresh rate.This is a easy fix to the fps cap some of you are seeing.

This is for users looking to get the most out of the game with small enhancements. I have added a pic as example and yes better fps makes things feel more smother when walking.

Some users might reply in comments the human eye cant see more then 60 fps . My reply to you is good I dont care stop writing on my post and go play your 60 fps game.

Definition of vsync bellow

VSync, short for vertical synchronization, is a graphics technology designed to sync a game’s frame rate with the refresh rate of a gaming monitor. 

Second life.png

Edited by rottweiler Lednev
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Your gpu will only use 30% of its total power capped fps and 87 uncapped sl is mostly cpu based.

it would be hard to over heat on second life unless you had minimal cooling and low specs and a non thermal throttling cpu gpu.

Also fun fact ryzen processors and also nvidia use thermal throttling so u cannot over heat them they will shut down before damage is incurred.

Laptop are deferent the gpu can un unsolder from heat NOT FOR LAPTOPS.

My gpu temp in sl is 40C in this small case.

fps.png

Edited by rottweiler Lednev

1 hour ago, rottweiler Lednev said:

My reply to you is good I dont care stop writing on my post and go play your 60 fps game.

a. With that attitude, I don't care what you have to preach.

b. Framerate in SL depends on complexity, amount of scripts in the neigborhood, your viewer, connection and a bunch of other factors then just only your monitor, cpu, gpu.

c. Loads of people I know are accessing SL through laptops or ancient, but historical still working pc's, because the viewer/SL/virtual world is made that it can be accessed by virtual everybody on a potato.

d. framerates aren't the most important in SL. The abscence of lag and having a good stable connection are. You can have a perfect smooth experience at 20 frames/sec, and a bad one at 60 fps while your connection is failing.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Like 5

I've run both ways on my gaming laptop.  The ONLY discernible difference is...without throttling, the fans are at top speed and noisy.  There is no difference in rendering speed or basically anything so why would I run it so high when it's not necessary?   Your recommendation is kind of irreponsible, IMO.

• Like 1

• rottweiler Lednev changed the title to 2024 Faster fps without spending money (: "NOT FOR LAPTOPS"
16 minutes ago, rottweiler Lednev said:

Reply to Rowan Amore

I will re edit to say not for laptops I forgot about laptop persons.

It doesn't negate the fact that there is NO discernible difference between running full tilt and running with your fps capped at your monitor's refresh rate.   None.  Nada.  But hey, if you like running with 400+ fps for no reason, have at it!

• Like 2

Slow day, eh? Yah, you can slam your FPS to 400 and waste energy doing so - quite figuratively burning money for no gain. I'm not getting into the human eye perception argument but I'll toss you this curveball: Monitor refresh rate puts a hard cap on which FPS you can actually make use of. Thus, sure - if you feel like you need max FPS in Second Life as you stutter lag around, turn off vsync, enjoy your screen tearing and then hard limit your FPS at your monitor's refresh rate.

Anything more is just burning money.

• Like 3

That's a beautiful toaster. Can you maintain those FPS in the most crowded sims? Full of avatars and massive textures? 

Why do your graphics appear to be on low? No shadows, no ALM, short draw distance? Are you just trying to get maximum FPS? What's it like with ultra graphics?

BlackDesertLittleTinyRottweilerInTheCornerLol

Nvm,IseeSomeShadows.Wasn'tSureTHough

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, rottweiler Lednev said:

Reply to Dorientje Woller

Can you screen cap you fps in a busy sim for us.

I would like to see what you get in the most busy place and I will go to the land mark you send.

Think of it like a fun game.

Why should I. My system is perect fine with running SL, even with different viewers open. And all the rest I do with my system, it runs pretty well on it. No need to have a PC that requires a nuclear plant to power up and a windmill park to cool it down.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, rottweiler Lednev said:

Reply to Rowan Amore

Then go run your 60 fps XD. I imagine the gaming computers of those who like 60 fps

EVMxxtvU0AIn3cI.jpg

My refresh rate is actually 165 and I cap it at 100 which is more than adequate and keeps the laptop cool and the fans humming quietly.  I'm also running with my graphics pretty high.  Right now, with my cap at 100 with 60 people on the region, ALM on without shadows, DD 128, I'm getting 60 fps.  Quite usable for anyone.  

ETA...shadows on only dropped me to 50 so eh, perfectly fine with me.

13 minutes ago, Midnoot said:

That's a beautiful toaster. Can you maintain those FPS in the most crowded sims? Full of avatars and massive textures? 

Why do your graphics appear to be on low? No shadows, no ALM, short draw distance? Are you just trying to get maximum FPS? What's it like with ultra graphics?

BlackDesertLittleTinyRottweilerInTheCornerLol

Nvm,IseeSomeShadows.Wasn'tSureTHough

Those shadows are probably the furniture since I don't see a shadow from his avatar.

Edited by Rowan Amore

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Those shadows are probably the furniture since I don't see a shadow from his avatar.

That's what I was wondering.  It seems like low graphics lol... which would be weirdly out or place in a thread about pcs that cost a fortune ... xD... maybe it's the windlight / daytime setting .

1 hour ago, rottweiler Lednev said:

Reply to Dorientje Woller

Can you screen cap you fps in a busy sim for us.

I would like to see what you get in the most busy place and I will go to the land mark you send.

Think of it like a fun game.

Go to Exhale.  80 people there at the moment.  This is my fps and my graphics settings.  Seems like a more than respectable fps with 80 avatars.  I'm sure I'd get many more if I turned down all my graphics as you've suggested in another thread.

Exhale.thumb.png.f57ba5528107e41980d512191a69917d.png

I have a gaming laptop with an external monitor using hdmi. On the laptop screen I get 165fps with vsync and 230fps without.  On my external monitor I get 60fps with vsync and 240fps without.  I don't really move around a lot in SL. It's mostly my avatar shifting around as I try demos. SL doesn't push the laptop as much as some of the games I also play on it.

You can't see 400fps. All you are doing is wearing your GPU faster.

No seriously. Right click your desktop. Go to Display Settings -> Advanced display settings. Your refresh rate is probably set somewhere between 60Hz to 144Hz. That is how often your screen refreshes in a second. If your frame rate is higher than your refresh rate, you are generating frames that your screen never draws.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Is there any point in having a frame rate faster than normal movies or TV?

It seems like people just want the number to be high, without understanding what the number "means", or whether it would actually make a difference to their Second Life experience.

Vibberts Mixing on X: "It goes to 11. That's one louder than everyone else.  😎😂🎸 - Spinal Tap @BrianVibberts #spinaltap #moviequotes #itgoesto11  #itgoestoeleven #guitar #amp https://t.co/34riRoPr8H" / X

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is there any point in having a frame rate faster than normal movies or TV?

It seems like people just want the number to be high, without understanding what the number "means", or whether it would actually make a difference to their Second Life experience.

Vibberts Mixing on X: "It goes to 11. That's one louder than everyone else.  😎😂🎸 - Spinal Tap @BrianVibberts #spinaltap #moviequotes #itgoesto11  #itgoestoeleven #guitar #amp https://t.co/34riRoPr8H" / X

I dig guitar amps that "go to 11" but there are ways to achieve major grind without totally blowing 'em up or destroying your eardrums. Anyway... love the meme :D

Edited by JeromFranzic
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.