I wish there was a way to look up your inventory by date than by how many days old

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a decorator on SL and one of the important parts of my job is my inventory. It's literally everything to me and how I make my money on secondlife. I've gotten fairly good at organizing but sometimes I wish there was a way to look up things you bought by date (i.e sort inventory from 02/20/21) than by older or newer than X amount of days, it's so frustrating and I feel like I've lost so much of my inventory because of it.

For example, I'm attempting to find the building in the picture down below but I can't remember the day but I remember that I bought it and I wish there was a way to filter out dates to the month and time frame I remeber buying it. So frustrating.

110193615_119892033126753_7037122777958450380_n.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Vicious Hollow said:

Right click on your object, while still in inventory and select "Properties"..you should get a box like so  https://gyazo.com/4f01401e8805e1fdfe4c906bcacb9389

*(this is how I do it in FS, not sure if it's the same in SLV, but should be, or at least be similar I would think)

Yeah, but this only works if you know which item it is you're looking for.

I would like a sort by date option as well . It gives another method of finding stuff that has been lost in the void.

I understand it's not what you're looking for, but when I pay for an item (as opposed to group gifts and freebies), I always change the name of the folder to include the date of purchase (i.e. 2.21.24), so I don't have to go into properties to see the date acquired.

My inventory is also sorted by year acquired, so if I buy a sofa in 2024, it's going to go in the 2024 furniture folder.  I did not do this until about 5 years into my time in SL, so it was a beeyutch to sort my inventory.  As time and technology passes, I will shift older stuff that I don't really use but don't want to trash into a folders labeled something like "Furniture 2018 and older."

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Midnoot said:

I would like a sort by date option as well . It gives another method of finding stuff that has been lost in the void.

In Firestorm you can sort Inventory by date.  Exactly where the option is on your Inventory window might depend on the Mode and Skin you are using, but the option is there.  Mine is like this:

image.png.132a282065130b0f0cd01c37ef8775a4.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In Firestorm you can sort Inventory by date.  Exactly where the option is on your Inventory window might depend on the Mode and Skin you are using, but the option is there.  Mine is like this:

Firestorm has everything D:<

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I do have FS but I never knew there was an option for this :0 I may have to ask in the firestorm group where the setting is in the new browser

EDIT: I can't seem to find the setting can you tell me how you enable this?

Edited by LoveGloss
Asking for help
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, LoveGloss said:

I do have FS but I never knew there was an option for this :0 I may have to ask in the firestorm group where the setting is in the new browser

EDIT: I can't seem to find the setting can you tell me how you enable this?

21 hours ago, panterapolnocy said:

Use the gear icon in the lower left corner of the inventory window. See https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_inventory#inventory_functions 

Yes, I forgot about the gear. I changed the Skin that I'm using recently and that changed the layout of my inventory windows.  The gear was on the old setup, but not on this new look that I've still getting used to.

I wish that Firestorm, the LL viewer, Black Dragon would fixed the most annoying bug of their inventory: when you have searched in your inventory by name, selected the folder or part that is in the folder that you need, clear the search term, that the inventory scrolls back to the top of it. In the Alchemy viewer, the inventory expands but you remain in the folder that you have selected.

3 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

I wish that Firestorm, the LL viewer, Black Dragon would fixed the most annoying bug of their inventory: when you have searched in your inventory by name, selected the folder or part that is in the folder that you need, clear the search term, that the inventory scrolls back to the top of it. In the Alchemy viewer, the inventory expands but you remain in the folder that you have selected.

In Firestorm the folder you've opened at least stays open. I just scroll down until I find it again.

48 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

In Firestorm the folder you've opened at least stays open. I just scroll down until I find it again.

In Firestorm, If I highlight the folder while doing a search and then clear the search bar.. The folder stays highlighted, that is unless I click on something else in there. I think it works in other viewers as well.. I always liked that.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

And isn't that an annoyance. To scroll back to the folder you have opened/needed. Might be not an issue if you have a small to reasonable inventory, but if have a big one as creator do have, it's not funny and time consuming.

3 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

And isn't that an annoyance. To scroll back to the folder you have opened/needed. Might be not an issue if you have a small to reasonable inventory, but if have a big one as creator do have, it's not funny and time consuming.

When I do a search in Firestorm and highlight the folder and then clear the search.. What happens with me is, my inventory window keeps that highlighted folder in the window.. I don't have to scroll back down to it..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

When I do a search in Firestorm and highlight the folder and then clear the search.. What happens with me is, my inventory window keeps that highlighted folder in the window.. I don't have to scroll back down to it..

That's how it's always worked for me, too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

In Black Dragon selecting any inventory item or folder and then clearing the search will keep the item/folder selected and automatically scroll to it. (Just tested in 5.1.0) This has always been the case as far as i can think back, i've used this for years. I personally never fixed this, meaning this is a thing coming from LL, which means they too have this. Which means Firestorm does have it too.

Searching.

image.png.7c4f0d599da4183169ba53641de7c0e6.png

after clearing:

image.png.4b8d88907caef2d25662c4a97def795e.png

Edited by NiranV Dean

4 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

In Black Dragon selecting any inventory item or folder and then clearing the search will keep the item/folder selected and automatically scroll to it. (Just tested in 5.1.0) This has always been the case as far as i can think back, i've used this for years. I personally never fixed this, meaning this is a thing coming from LL, which means they too have this. Which means Firestorm does have it too.

Thanks for confirmation.  I didn't have a chance today to check this out, but was pretty sure it worked that way in Firestorm - for as long as I remember.

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Thanks for confirmation.  I didn't have a chance today to check this out, but was pretty sure it worked that way in Firestorm - for as long as I remember.

That is of course unless they break it, generally speaking they do touch inventory functions more so there is a chance they could break it, although unlikely as its quite seccluded from everything else.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 11:52 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

In Firestorm, If I highlight the folder while doing a search and then clear the search bar.. The folder stays highlighted, that is unless I click on something else in there. I think it works in other viewers as well.. I always liked that.. hehehe

Once you have done that tap your down arrow and the inventory view goes back to show the folder you were looking for.

Edited by Aethelwine

5 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Once you have done that tap your down arrow and the inventory view goes back to show the folder you were looking for.

Usually when I clear the search it stays at the folder I have highlighted..I don't have to scroll back down to it it stays in the window.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.