Mainland Land Rights and Neighbors

The concept of mainland as a coherent world where people live together vs. the concept of mainland as a server where I rent a virtual server within as its own world where I place my ground skybox. Those are 2 different concepts and they are not getting along with each other.

mainland skyboxes.jpg

(the screenshot shows extreme examples of ground skyboxes. those are not mine.)

Edited by Nukasa22
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

Ground skyboxes are builds that belong into the sky but a lot of people place them on the ground, therefore I call them ground skyboxes. Sadly those are very common across mainland. When you look at my snapshot you can see what I mean.

Edited by Nukasa22
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Nukasa22 said:

Ground skyboxes are builds that belong into the sky but a lot of people place them on the ground, therefore I call them ground skyboxes. Sadly those are very common across mainland.

its possible some people don’t know how to set a skybox up in the sky.

1) fly to 2000m

2) pull skybox out of inventory

3) nothing appears

4 ) sigh and return to ground

5) rezz skybox on ground 

6) move in

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Nukasa22 said:

Ground skyboxes are builds that belong into the sky but a lot of people place them on the ground, therefore I call them ground skyboxes. Sadly those are very common across mainland. When you look at my snapshot you can see what I mean.

So, you're contributing to the problem by putting a skybox on the ground?  Awesome!  

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

So, you're contributing to the problem by putting a skybox on the ground?  Awesome!  

You misunderstood my post.

2 hours ago, Nukasa22 said:

The concept of mainland as a coherent world where people live together vs. the concept of mainland as a server where I rent a virtual server within as its own world where I place my ground skybox. Those are 2 different concepts and they are not getting along with each other.

Let me rephrase it for you:

There exist 2 different concepts of mainland. I'm going to explain both concepts.

In concept 1 I live in a coherent world together with other people. (I as in the person in this concept, not me personally.) My build exists next to the builds of other people, in co-existence. I see my neighbour and my neighbour sees me.

In concept 2 I (not me personally) view mainland not as a coherent world but I treat it as a server, and I rent a virtual server within that server. When I rent a virtual server, there are neighbours, but I don't see them.

Those are 2 different concepts and they are not getting along with each other. This is why we have ground skyboxes and people complaining about them. When I build a ground skybox, I do not see my neighbours, but they still see me. They may be people who do see mainland as a coherent world.

Edited by Nukasa22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the ground-level skyboxes are primarily for privacy, precisely to avoid seeing 'the neighbors,' even if it means they only see an ugly box. Whether it's land rentals, mainland, or even on Bellisseria, I've seen this kind of horrible concept because people don't know how to decorate and also try to hide the ugly things around with what they have. As a result, it becomes a chaotic mess.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nukasa22 said:

Thanks for clarifying this part.   You should include that line in the original post.  I apologize for assuming it was your monstrosity.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Thanks for clarifying this part.   You should include that line in the original post.  I apologize for assuming it was your monstrosity.  

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll do that. I wasn't careful enough and didn't make my post clear enough, allowing it to be misinterpreted, my fault.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nukasa22 said:

mainland skyboxes.jpg

Yup. We have 2 conflicting views of what SL should be. Private islands were the first alternative to Mainland, which allow owners to curate their own environment and keep their space private, but most people can't afford to have their own island. 

Should LL offer quarter region islands as another alternative to Mainland or renting from a private estate?

Bellisseria has been a wildly popular alternative to the chaos and conflict of Mainland, but it might be getting close to it's saturation point. Many people seem to love the 2048 m themed parcels, so there might still be enough interest to support a couple more of these subcontinents, but I'm sure LL wants to be very careful to not overbuild and get stuck with a bunch of half empty regions.

Some of us like to try to figure out what it is about Bellisseria that makes it so popular and whether those factors could be applied to Mainland to help improve its sales and use. This is where we get into discussions (often heated) about changing some of the rules for Mainland or creating a kind of Mainland 2.0.

I think most attempts to apply new rules to existing parcels would be met with resistance and hostility by those who bought their land expecting to be able to do what they've been doing. (Allowing people to derender other's objects would be an exception, because as this function exists in TPVs it only affects the user's view.)  I'm therefore inclined toward the idea of creating some new Mainland 2.0 regions, with rules similar to those on Bellisseria, but allowing commerce and possibly visible Adult content.

There's really no good reason for people to create "skyboxes" on the ground, except that they don't care about anyone else's experience except their own and that of their friends or customers. Even border walls can easily be made invisible on the outside surface, but those people may think they're keeping others from seeing into their personal space, as well as keeping those inside from seeing what's outside of it. Anyone can cam inside though. If they really want privacy, their virtual environment either needs to be high up in the sky or on a private island.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Added "a bunch of"
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

n for people to create "skyboxes" on the ground, except that they don't care about anyone else's experience except their own and that of their friends or customers.

Group only access only extends 50m vertically from the land level. Someone who doesn't have, or understand scripted security systems, will find that using their "skybox" on the ground and checking on "Group X is allowed" is the fastest and simplest way to have their quiet mainland spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just to give a different perspective...because some people think that messy sims or flashy fullbright lights are automatically an attempt to maliciously grief...

I used to have land rights on a builders' sim on mainland, and we had junk EVERYWHERE...builds, items, particle emitters, Space Invaders machines, skybox shops and clubs rising all the way to the top, etc. One next-door neighbour hated us and put up a big wall, and included us in his Picks for a while (in a negative way! :|). It didn't bother us but he was convinced we were doing it to spite him, rather than just being a group of people who liked scripting and building and had a space to do it in that wasn't a public sandbox that got attacked by griefers every few hours...(though we were normally rez-enabled and never had many problems) (except for a RP policeman xD)

I agree with Marigold, I always liked Mainland and would find a private island too lonely and isolated, but living on Mainland does mean some compromise...sometimes you can't have a perfect view in all four directions ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2024 at 8:06 PM, WaitsThomasBatriani said:

I will add also - I know I can de-rez and DO de-rez, - but this idea that I have somehow deleted part of my reality to make myself comfortable while everyone else can still see the ugliness, well, THAT makes me uncomfortable.

On 2/17/2024 at 6:59 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

Somebody should sell signs like this.

Ima gonna make a new thread for this idea. 💡 😁 

A bit late to the party, and I see a few have already done similar to this, but this is the sign I put out when I had a neighbor doing similar.

Granted the mesh came from a kit and so I never thought about trying to sell it on the cheap, but maybe I'll clean it up some, make the lettering look a bit more weathered, and do that.  :P

image.png.248d637baecd8d5e35123f27138479d3.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I know this thread was started long ago, but this Mainland issue is so familiar. I have had exactly the same thing going on. I had my two sims Dutch estate and Canal city on ground level at first. But then I got a neighbour who put a mile-high wall around her land. When I sent her a message whether this wall was temporary and when it would be taken away, she replied, ‘This is the land divider, honey. End of discussion. You can still mask tall buildings with tall trees and privacy screens, but these walls were just so high, there was no getting around it. So I just counted to ten and put my sims in the air. A lot of work, but it saved me the aggravation. Of course, it then happened that not long after I had done that, the wall was suddenly gone. The neighbour had sold her land. Anyway, I'll stay nice in the sky and also know that you can get annoyance from view-polluting neighbours there too, but that's kind of how it goes in Mainland. Again, I can laugh about it. My life does not depend on it.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 2