How long stay a post in this forum.

Gabriel Isodo

20 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

Is there a way to delete old posts or discussion after a while. I don't want that my message stay forever on the web. Is there an option to delete after x days. I would like to delete my old message older than one year. 

not to scare you .. but have a look here ( http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/-1/1.html) ..  nearly all is saved since first years of SL .. it's really amazing to read that all back!
Unless you ask for a GDPR removal your, mine, and all other accounts posts will be there long after we'r not found anymore on this earth.
It's the same as for your RL identity, all you put on the web will/can stay on the web.

note; the old forums won't open easely on Edge, the protection protocols refuse that, on Firefox it's opening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

Is there a way to delete old posts or discussion after a while. I don't want that my message stay forever on the web. Is there an option to delete after x days. I would like to delete my old message older than one year. 

I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you said something you feel embarrassed about today most mature individuals know that people can change and hold different opinions or behave differently than they did in the past. Of course there will be a few that do a 'gotcha' and attempt to berate you by pointing to something you did long ago, but they are in the minority really. You can easily defend against such an assault by asserting the right to change your mind.

Edited by Luna Bliss

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Forever" is a long time.  Probably when the Earth is swallowed by the Sun as it expands prior to going supernova, the internet as we know it will cease to exist along with any associated data such as Forum posts.

I'm pretty sure the internet has already been uploaded to other planets so never say never!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I did have another thought:

What about countries where there is a 'Right to be forgotten'?  My thought, this is probably intended to be about a person's internet posts, etc. under their "actual (RL) identify".

In Second Life and in the Forums - you are NOT supposed to use your RL identify (but you "can" and some "do").  So maybe it does not apply..?  And if someone was worried about RL details revealed, possibly "Sorry, you aren't supposed to use your RL identity, so it's your own darned fault."

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 3:05 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I did have another thought:

What about countries where there is a 'Right to be forgotten'?  My thought, this is probably intended to be about a person's internet posts, etc. under their "actual (RL) identify".

In Second Life and in the Forums - you are NOT supposed to use your RL identify (but you "can" and some "do").  So maybe it does not apply..?  And if someone was worried about RL details revealed, possibly "Sorry, you aren't supposed to use your RL identity, so it's your own darned fault."

I think having RL info in a post would be a legitimate reason to ask for its removal, and I'm pretty sure the Lab would comply in that sort of case.

• Like 3

I now have every post ever made by the OP archived in triplicate, and stored in globally separate locations, known only to myself, and my secret cabal.

If not for this thread, I would never have realized what a fortune I stand to make in the future, having this valuable information.

If anyone else wants it, it's on archive.org.

I don't think you have anything to be that paranoid about. I'll bet I've made far more embarrassing, disturbing, even wretched posts on the internet for a couple of decades now, and I'm fine.

BRB, someone's knocking really loud on the front door... We didn't order takeout, so I wonder who the heck it could be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'll bet there's internet in Uranus!

I heard Uranus is a gas giant.

*runs away, before the entire inner wellspring of Uranus jokes can burst forth into text*

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I run one of the largest car forums on the internet,  deleting every post a user has made is work for forum admins,   if the user wants deleted,  we can delete the account and the posts still stay but under the guise of "guest account" or "unregistered" .   but SL and the forum here are a bit different from a normal database standard,  it's tied into SL directly with that database so it pulls the data from it, using the username and password SL uses,   if it was fully stand alone and they made people register for the forum directly instead of linking the database like they do,  then it would be like I said at the start.   not sure how that works purging it off a forum with the setup LL has.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 9:42 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

"Forever" is a long time.  Probably when the Earth is swallowed by the Sun as it expands prior to going supernova, the internet as we know it will cease to exist along with any associated data such as Forum posts.

It's on your PERMANENT RECORD!  Your permanent record is larger than you think.  A few months ago, I ran across an old BBS I used to dial into, in middle school, in the early 90s, before the WWW.  They still had posts from when I was in middle school!  I was a weird kid.  So I checked newsgroups.  My posts are still there, too!  AOL Towns and Myspace are totally wiped, thank god... although I suspect the NSA logged all that stuff.

• Haha 2